The OFFICIAL "I was wrong about Joe Crede" thread

shawnhillegas

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
Couple of givens, unless you are offer your "rocker" chair, you leave every possibility open, and always talk nice about the team you are playing for. There may have been a player who did not send a bouquet of flowers to his team and management as he was leaving, but I can't remember one. So let's discount the usual babble that occures. A couple of points that jumped out at me.

Frank Thomas

Granted, that was an anomaly, but wow that was ugly

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxWS05 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)
Great thread (title at least) and I'm proud to see so many of you eat crow for your harsh words against Crede this off season. As a proud member of "Crede's crew" I'm happy for him (to say the least), I think the Sox should start shopping a Fields/Anderson combo for a Harden/Lincecum type pitcher and get a deal done with the south side's favorite timely hitter.

First of all, there is nobody eating crow on anything, its 7 games in. Also we are all sox fans, nobody wants him to fail. And that deal would be not only not accepted by sf but it would be moronic for the sox to shop their best young hitter and future 3b and depth at of, and try to sign a player who will be overpriced and will suck payroll flexibility for the sox in the offseason.

and I have no idea who you are, so you must be a junior member of his crew. Either way, sometimes it better to read in the background rather than post something like that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
First of all, there is nobody eating crow on anything, its 7 games in. Also we are all sox fans, nobody wants him to fail. And that deal would be not only not accepted by sf but it would be moronic for the sox to shop their best young hitter and future 3b and depth at of, and try to sign a player who will be overpriced and will suck payroll flexibility for the sox in the offseason.

and I have no idea who you are, so you must be a junior member of his crew. Either way, sometimes it better to read in the background rather than post something like that.

Inning Recap:

Bottom 8:

Rock hits a home run to deep center, 0 on.

Rock 1

SoxWS05 0

Kidding aside, me thinks the conversation is taking a personal spin now guys...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)

Actually, if the Sox are in contention in June, and Crede is playing well... I would absolutely be open to dealing Fields (and I'm positive KW would too - I mean, that's what he does). He is easily their best trading chip and might be able to get them a real playoff-caliber pitcher.

Edited by wsgdf_2

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
Actually, if the Sox are in contention in June, and Crede is playing well... I would absolutely be open to dealing Fields (and I'm positive KW would too - I mean, that's what he does). He is easily their best trading chip and might be able to get them a real playoff-caliber pitcher.

Carl Everett?

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
LOL - I did say pitcher...

Freddy?

I did say Carl Everett...and he can do everything, so it counts.

Edited by Y2HH

You may be a Sox fan but deep down inside you were hoping Crede would fail, so your man-crush Fields could come up. I can't believe you said it would be moronic to trade Fields for Harden or Lincecum! These players are easily double the value of Fields. I expected to be called a moron for even suggesting Fields is worth the value of Lincecum or Harden. Harden would be an injury risk, but he's dominant. Lincecum is just plain filthy. If we got either we would be contenders for real.

Guess what? The Sox have money and no one player is going to "suck payroll flexibility" as you put it. YOU think before you post son.

Edited by SoxWS05

QUOTE (SoxWS05 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
You may be a Sox fan but deep down inside you were hoping Crede would fail, so your man-crush Fields could come up. I can't believe you said it would be moronic to trade Fields for Harden or Lincecum! These players are easily double the value of Fields. I expected to be called a moron for even suggesting Fields is worth the value of Lincecum or Harden. Harden would be an injury risk, but he's dominant. Lincecum is just plain filthy. If we got either we would be contenders for real.

Guess what? The Sox have money and no one player is going to "suck payroll flexibility" as you put it. YOU think before you post son.

Fields for Harden would be a complete disaster. Sure Harden is dominant in about 4 of the 6 starts he makes each year but I fail to see how about 24 innings of excellent pitching from a starter over a 162 game season is worth removing Fields from the organization.

I think it's moronic to not consider all your options- whether that is trading Fields, Crede, or whomever.

It's pretty clear that the Sox could afford Joe; it's not exactly clear what Joe expects to get.

But simply because Fields is our best young hitter doesn't mean it would be moronic to deal him. If Joe can be signed to what both parties deem as fair, then Josh can be dealt to fulfill a different need.

QUOTE (SoxWS05 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)

:wacko:

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
But simply because Fields is our best young hitter doesn't mean it would be moronic to deal him. If Joe can be signed to what both parties deem as fair, then Josh can be dealt to fulfill a different need.

Sure, he COULD be dealt. But from what I've seen so far, I'd rather stick Fields in LF or RF and keep his bat in the lineup if they re-sign Crede. While Fields isn't some untouchable super-stud or anything, it's going to take a pretty good player - or a VERY nice package of prospects - to get KW to trade away a cheap, young player with Fields' skill set.

Dude please just stop that... nobody wants to be all mad when they see a new post in this thread, click it, and find out that all the new posts are part of the same petty garbage ass argument that's got nothing to do with anything. Nobody wins.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
Sure, he COULD be dealt. But from what I've seen so far, I'd rather stick Fields in LF or RF and keep his bat in the lineup if they re-sign Crede. While Fields isn't some untouchable super-stud or anything, it's going to take a pretty good player - or a VERY nice package of prospects - to get KW to trade away a cheap, young player with Fields' skill set.

I just think Fields is sort of a redundant player for us at this stage. We don't really need a player with huge power right now, and while that may not be the case two years from now, if we're going to try and win this division now, I think it's best to use the assets we have to supplement the team's needs now- not in 2 years.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
:wacko:

Yep... a really good pitcher to add to the rotation to try to make a playoff run. Not saying it's going to happen, but IF the Sox are in it AND Crede is playing well...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
I just think Fields is sort of a redundant player for us at this stage. We don't really need a player with huge power right now, and while that may not be the case two years from now, if we're going to try and win this division now, I think it's best to use the assets we have to supplement the team's needs now- not in 2 years.

Given Thome's fragile health and Dye's age, I'd say that having a cheap Plan B slugger is a pretty big asset. What happens if the Sox are in first place in the last week of September and Thome pulls a hammy or ribcage muscle? And I foresee the Sox saving $10 million by buying out Thome's contract next year, so that opens up a roster spot. I'm sure that Fields could competently play a corner outfield position, and that would allow Dye to move to DH.

Plus, the core of their team (Paulie, Thome, Dye, Crede, Cabrera, Buehrle, Javy, AJ) are either past their prime or nearing the end of it. While winning now is important, they desperately need to get younger and have very little in their farm system at this moment. In that situation, you don't want to trade away cheap, major-league-ready talent with significant upside unless you're getting something really special in return. If I were KW, I'd stand pat with this squad as long as they're playing relatively well.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
Given Thome's fragile health and Dye's age, I'd say that having a cheap Plan B slugger is a pretty big asset. What happens if the Sox are in first place in the last week of September and Thome pulls a hammy or ribcage muscle? And I foresee the Sox saving $10 million by buying out Thome's contract next year, so that opens up a roster spot. I'm sure that Fields could competently play a corner outfield position, and that would allow Dye to move to DH.

Plus, the core of their team (Paulie, Thome, Dye, Crede, Cabrera, Buehrle, Javy, AJ) are either past their prime or nearing the end of it. While winning now is important, they desperately need to get younger and have very little in their farm system at this moment. In that situation, you don't want to trade away cheap, major-league-ready talent with significant upside unless you're getting something really special in return. If I were KW, I'd stand pat with this squad as long as they're playing relatively well.

Yeah, this is not lost on me.

But what if we are 3 games up on Cleveland on July 28th and our sp is struggling a bit?

Ugh, you should have taken my advice and just read the site.

I am in favor of the player who helps the team the most, ive said that repeatedly. I even have a pic of Crede as my avatar, if you'd like I can attach a pic of me in my Crede Jersey. And yes you should have been called a moron for that trade proposal because its riduclous, so I did. Fields and Anderson wouldnt be able to net anything of more value to the Sox than what they bring to this organization in payroll flexibility, a replacement starter next year and a 4.5 tool reserve outfielder. Its actually a very basic concept and outside of your xbox/8th grade world, its pretty much basic business 101.

You and your Johnny come lately Crede Crew nametag can continue to try and gloat for arguments you didnt take part in, nor added any real value, the rest of us will sit over here and be happy that not only is our team winning, but we have a decent plan for replacing players moving forward with talented youth, and will have the options to continue to improve the team year over year.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
Ugh, you should have taken my advice and just read the site.

I am in favor of the player who helps the team the most, ive said that repeatedly. I even have a pic of Crede as my avatar, if you'd like I can attach a pic of me in my Crede Jersey. And yes you should have been called a moron for that trade proposal because its riduclous, so I did. Fields and Anderson wouldnt be able to net anything of more value to the Sox than what they bring to this organization in payroll flexibility, a replacement starter next year and a 4.5 tool reserve outfielder. Its actually a very basic concept and outside of your xbox/8th grade world, its pretty much basic business 101.

Rock, I understand what you're saying here, but it's just not the dire situation you're suggesting it is. We've got big money coming off the books after 09' (Dye, Contreras, Dotel, Thome (assuming they pick up his option next year)). There is plenty of money to spend in 2010' and Konerko comes off the books after that season. There is no reason that someone such as Crede couldn't be re-signed and considering we have Quentin/Swisher at club-friendly contracts, dealing Anderson would do no harm to the organization other than perhaps trading away a player who never was allowed to fully show his potential here.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
Yep... a really good pitcher to add to the rotation to try to make a playoff run. Not saying it's going to happen, but IF the Sox are in it AND Crede is playing well...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
Yeah, this is not lost on me.

But what if we are 3 games up on Cleveland on July 28th and our sp is struggling a bit?

If a team wants to dump salary (like, say, the Astros want to unload Oswalt), I'd have no problem dealing Fields and some middle-tier prospects. But I don't want some old, injury-prone guy (Pedro, Kenny Rogers) who may or may not be healthy in October.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
If a team want to dumps salary (like, say, the Astros want to unload Oswalt), I'd have no problem dealing Fields and some middle-tier prospects. But I don't want some old, injury-prone guy (Pedro, Kenny Rogers) who may or may not be healthy in October.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. Not even sure I would want Oswalt....

I'm talking putting a package together for a young pitcher.

Assuming you deal Fields, you have to account for the money you are spending if you are keeping Crede around, which makes getting a pre-arb player fairly important.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 12:22 PM)
Oh, I couldn't agree more. Not even sure I would want Oswalt....

I'm talking putting a package together for a young pitcher.

Assuming you deal Fields, you have to account for the money you are spending if you are keeping Crede around, which makes getting a pre-arb player fairly important.

So, do you have any particular young pitcher in mind?

IF the Sox can come to terms with Crede before the deadline, I might be willing to take a risk on a high-priced dinosaur like Smoltz.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
So, do you have any particular young pitcher in mind?

IF the Sox can come to terms with Crede before the deadline, I might be willing to take a risk on a high-priced dinosaur like Smoltz.

Well, Lincecum has been mentioned, Harden has been mentioned.

It's really a case of how the season develops though. You have to see who is in contention, who is not in contention...

Taking a quick look though, some teams that may need a 3b now or in the future include: Anaheim, Baltimore, Cleveland, Minnesota, Oakland, Seattle, Texas, Toronto, Atlanta, Florida, Houston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis.

You need to stop, or you need to not post in here.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
Dude please just stop that... nobody wants to be all mad when they see a new post in this thread, click it, and find out that all the new posts are part of the same petty garbage ass argument that's got nothing to do with anything. Nobody wins.

^^^^

What he said. Let's get back on topic, shall we?