The OFFICIAL "I was wrong about Joe Crede" thread

shawnhillegas

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
yes, of course I mean more K's. Come on now, we might have some disagreements, but you should know that I'm not a bumbling imbecile ;)

Haha. You do have me worried sometimes. :lolhitting

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)
yes, of course I mean more K's. Come on now, we might have some disagreements, but you should know that I'm not a bumbling imbecile ;)

I'm getting a "Terry Bevington arguing with the 3rd base umpire" vibe.

I love Joe Crede and i am ecstatic at the beginning of the season. I was at the game today and when Joe hit the slam, it was awesome. My (Cubs fan) wife even text me "Joe F@#$ing Crede!" But, wherever your stance is, be happy with defense (it will come.) I wanted Crede gone and Fields up. It made logical sense. Have I changed my stance? No. It made sense at the time. Now, we are with Joe for the year unless god forbid we tank. And I can't think there is anyone here who wants that. Let the argument die. As far as Juan and Alexei/Richar, same argument, same post. In fact, unhappy with the roster decisions at the end of ST, I said, our infield D looks awesome.

Go Sox! Whoever they may be.

BTW

Being at the game, fans love Consequito and Swish

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 07:09 PM)
You cannot be right or wrong about a player in 7 games. Thank you for playing.

And there's something right about writing off a player before ANY games are played? That's what ST is, after all, zero real games.

I think this thread's message is perfectly valid if it's directed specifically at the people who spent the entire ST yelling the inverse of it.

Now, for people whose main point is that someone like Fields shouldnt be in AAA... i understand that, but you have to remember that he's still a prospect even considering those stats from last year. And this is a "win now" year, not a fact finding year.

Frightening as it is, keep in mind that young Juan Uribe had better OBP years than Fields' 07. So with Josh you could actually still have a guy who might just end up panning out to be Uribe with LESS plate discipline, more power. and average defense. You have to admit that CAN happen, and you dont want that to happen in a "win now" year.

Now Crede is a proven offensive and defensive commodity, and this is a "win now" year and a "win now" payroll. Again, the choice is Crede. Fields gets no worse in AAA.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
If Crede continues this ply, im 100% Happy with him here... but I dont think many people visioned him playing this way

Probably true, but considering the fact that he was great in '06 and then got injured, i think people shouldnt have been as thoroughly dismissive of him in ST as they were. A Crede trade is what everyone got behind b/c it fits the description of a classic baseball-smart move. The beer swilling fan with mustache stays loyal to Crede. But even in that context you have to know better -- Fields still hasnt experienced much at the MLB level. Last yr he got little in the way of handling yourself in important baseball games.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
Crede > Your Life.

Exactly the kind of post they were trying to ask about in the why are you here post. There is no point to it. Someone is honest and puts in their thoughts, and you come up with -- that? Nice Post. Use a complete sentence at least. You obviously love Crede. Well, so do I. I am just a little more pragmatic than you.

My life, hmmm, the same as everyone's life. In your terms. My life = everyone elses.

QUOTE (Gbubbs @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:41 PM)
Exactly the kind of post they were trying to ask about in the why are you here post. There is no point to it. Someone is honest and puts in their thoughts, and you come up with -- that? Nice Post. Use a complete sentence at least. You obviously love Crede. Well, so do I. I am just a little more pragmatic than you.

My life, hmmm, the same as everyone's life. In your terms. My life = everyone elses.

LOL nice job of over analysis.

Well, thank you. I guess. Because no one over analyzes here.

Anyway, I hope Joe continues. 260/23/80 and good defense would be great. Josh will be here soon enough and is good insurance against injuries to Thome or Joe.

Joe, just keep doing what you're doing, and this team will be a better team for it.

Certainly too early, but it's been a very promising start nonetheless, and he's still got his "clutch-i-ness".

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
not really. You give Fields another 100 AB's last year, and he'd probably get his HR total up to 30 with an RBI total around 80. So, that would mean he would have matched Crede's career high in HR's and be 10 shy of Crede's career high in RBIs... in about 80 less AB's. Plus, last year Fields 35 walks were more then Crede's career high in a season.

I think Fields would at least match Crede's production with less average (and K's) but with more power and possibly OBP. The wildcard here is the defense.

I think Fields is going to be a really solid player in this league, but at this point, I'd have a hard time arguing that Fields is the better player.

The other wildcard you have to factor in is experience. Ninth inning of a playoff or World Series game, at this point in their careers, I'd rather have Crede out there.

Again, not to discredit Fields, he's a young player with what looks to be a great future, but I just can't call him the better player. I've also seen too many one season wonders to announce his arrival. I hope he gets plenty of chances this season to continue to mature because I'm guessing he's the guy starting in 2009, perhaps sooner.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 03:18 AM)
I think Fields is going to be a really solid player in this league, but at this point, I'd have a hard time arguing that Fields is the better player.

The other wildcard you have to factor in is experience. Ninth inning of a playoff or World Series game, at this point in their careers, I'd rather have Crede out there.

Again, not to discredit Fields, he's a young player with what looks to be a great future, but I just can't call him the better player. I've also seen too many one season wonders to announce his arrival. I hope he gets plenty of chances this season to continue to mature because I'm guessing he's the guy starting in 2009, perhaps sooner.

Awesome post....the sooner everyone on here roots for Crede AND Fields to have good years, the better.

Those who thought that Crede would not be healthy this season were wrong

Those who thought that Crede was washed up because of his injury were wrong

Oh, and Kenny W was right again. How soon some of you forget what Crede and Kenny have done for this franchise. Amazing how 100 years of not winning a WS means nothing to some of the "know it all pompous posters" here.

If Kenny can get the right return for Fields, I would be very happy if he decided to pull that trigger, assuming he extends Crede before the trade. Joe is still very young, his D is huge & his clutch hitting is so under-rated here it is amazing.

Read some of the quotes from Mark Buerhle and AJP....to all those who love Fields and hate Crede - are you telling me you understand baseball better than Buerhle or AJP or Kenny W? Here is a clue - no you don't. But keep dreaming and living in your fantasy world.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,1707369.story

He's still a great fielder and a great clutch hitter. Just as he should have been traded at peak value after the 2006 season and just as he's holding up the progress of a future stud in Josh Fields right now. These aren't mutually exclusive things, you can enjoy the good things Joe Crede brings to the team and realize mistakes have been made.

I've been a big Crede fan since '05. At this point I'm torn. I don't care what it costs to re-sign him, the only thing that bugs me is his potential health issues. On the other hand, Fields was great last year, but can he repeat/even come close to what he did? Ballplayers have caught lightning in a bottle before... I'm not completely sold on him.

I guess if we could net a whole lot for either one of them I'd be all for it. It really seems like it's hit or miss either way.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 12:09 AM)
sox-r-us, it's great that you feel some how redeemed with Crede's success.

But I think you are dishing out the 'I told you so' a bit heavy for one week into the season. even if you turn out to be correct at the end of the year, is it really necessary to instigate to this level?

this is coming from someone who wanted Crede in the lineup for 2008. so this isn't a 'sour grapes' post

Fair points; and I agree it is way too early. But it feels good to see ths club and Kenny being vindicated (despite it being based on really small sample size)....this off season was nothing but hell with the amount of crap that was being dished out by some of these "so called fans". Trust me, I would never complain about Cubs fans after seeing the crap on this site this past off season....

I still think that Fields is the future at 3B for us, he works hard on his defense and he will be at least an average defender with a plus arm. He also has offensive potential that Crede simply doesn't not to mention that he will only be a fraction of the cost for the next 5-6 years.

If Joe can continue his output for the first month or two of the season he will have built up his trade value enough to get something good in a trade, the Giants, Phillies, and Astros are the three teams that could need a 3B by then not to mention any injuries that will invariably happen by then.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 05:46 AM)
Whats funny about this post is back in 2005, you were suspended for specially saying Crede being hurt is a good thing. Just thought I would point that out.

Continue.

You must be confusing me with someone else because I do not remember ever saying something like that.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 06:24 AM)
I still think that Fields is the future at 3B for us, he works hard on his defense and he will be at least an average defender with a plus arm. He also has offensive potential that Crede simply doesn't not to mention that he will only be a fraction of the cost for the next 5-6 years.

If Joe can continue his output for the first month or two of the season he will have built up his trade value enough to get something good in a trade, the Giants, Phillies, and Astros are the three teams that could need a 3B by then not to mention any injuries that will invariably happen by then.

So you would risk messing with a winning team (assuming Sox are contending for a pennant at the trade deadline) and play with the club house chemistry etc by trading away Crede?

So you do not care what message this would send to the remaining players on the team, most of whom love Crede (go read Kong, Buerhle, AJP's quotes in the Chicagosports.com article today) when they see their friend/team mate gone despite doing everything right this year (again assuming he continues to play well and stays healthy) ....

And what do you do if Fields does not perform like Crede after the deadline?

And what do you do if Fields makes a fielding error that leads to a critical loss in a playoff game (assuming we get there)?

I guess in that case I am happy that Kenny and Ozzie do not think like you because I rather have people in charge who not what it means to win and how to further enable a winning attitude.

Edited by sox-r-us

QUOTE (sox-r-us @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 11:34 PM)
Those who thought that Crede would not be healthy this season were wrong

No, that's not right either. We're 7 games into the season. Those that felt he was too injured to begin the year may be wrong, but not those saying his back won't hold up. It's.7.f***ing.games. Seriously, do you not understand this?

Those who thought that Crede was washed up because of his injury were wrong

You can make this determination based off of 7 games.

Oh, and Kenny W was right again. How soon some of you forget what Crede and Kenny have done for this franchise. Amazing how 100 years of not winning a WS means nothing to some of the "know it all pompous posters" here.

Yep, I forget what Crede...let's recap, shall we?

Crede's had one good season, one fantastic postseason, a good 200 PAs or so in 2002, and 4 pretty crappy years, including last year when he was down with an injury for 2/3 of the season.

Just a fantastic resume.

You also seem to be giving Crede a little bit too much credit for 2005; that's a hell of an insult to the other 30 or so guys that helped propel that team to a World Series victory, and you should quite frankly be ashamed of yourself as a fan. Crede had just as much to do with that World Series victory as anybody did. You take even one piece out of that puzzle and I doubt the team wins it all.

If Kenny can get the right return for Fields, I would be very happy if he decided to pull that trigger, assuming he extends Crede before the trade. Joe is still very young, his D is huge & his clutch hitting is so under-rated here it is amazing.

Since when are 30 year old 3Bman coming off back surgery young?

And, I will once again say that trading Josh Fields would be the biggest mistake KW has ever made.

Read some of the quotes from Mark Buerhle and AJP....to all those who love Fields and hate Crede - are you telling me you understand baseball better than Buerhle or AJP or Kenny W? Here is a clue - no you don't. But keep dreaming and living in your fantasy world.

Depends on what you mean by baseball. Are you referencing the game itself, or are you referring more to the economics of the game? Because I'd bet several people on here know the economics of the game better than Buehrle or AJP, determining market price and the value of a certain player over another. And all those metrics will tell you that for the price - yeah, it's a big deal when comparing $12 million to $320K - that Josh Fields will be the more valuable player than Joe Crede next year.

So, I'd say get off your high horse and telling everyone you were right. I don't ever recall seeing you toot the Crede horn this offseason, and I wouldn't start talking s*** like this 7 games into the season. I hope you are right, and I'll eat all the crow you can dish out (or put you on ignore because "I told you so attitudes are so goddamn annoying"), and that it means a lot of wins for the White Sox. Making strong conclusions based off of 7 games is like proposing to a girl you've known for 20 minutes.

QUOTE (sox-r-us @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 07:24 AM)
You must be confusing me with someone else because I do not remember ever saying something like that.

I'd speak my mind on the subject but in doing so would risk getting suspended myself. This boards a totalitarian system in a lot of ways. I wouldn't be surprised if I get suspended for saying that.

The politics of internet message boards. The pecking order. Oh joy. =P Isn't all this important! LOL

The important thing is this... Joe Crede is doing great and it's fantastic. Past comments aside, past actions aside... in this present moment, Joe is helping us win games with his clutch hitting, defense, and intense play.

QUOTE (sox-r-us @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 12:28 AM)
So you do not care what message this would send to the remaining players on the team, most of whom love Crede (go read Kong, Buerhle, AJP's quotes in the Chicagosports.com article today) when they see their friend/team mate gone despite doing everything right this year (again assuming he continues to play well and stays healthy) ....

Hell I might like you if you hit a game winning homer.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
One good week isn't going to give him that much more trade value.

and it also isn't going to invent teams that all of a sudden need a 3rd baseman and have a reasonable chance at competing this year, making them willing to pay Joe's salary and give up anything worthwhile. There are basically no such teams until a starting 3rd baseman somewhere comes up with a serious

injury.

This thread is rather ridiculous.

I have a sinking feeling that Crede will not hit .400 for the whole season. AJ will not hit .500. Mark my words, Baltimore will not be leading the AL East. Somebody please write this down somewhere, the Tigers will win a game, perhaps several games. It's the first f***ing week of the season.

I am someone who thought there is very little expected difference between Crede and Fields as the starter. I'd bet Fields would put up better numbers at the plate over a full year, but they'd be relatively close. Crede obviously is the stronger defender, but Fields will continue to improve. Removing Crede's $5 mil salary could potentially be crucial in adding a player by the trading deadline. Very little estimable, projectable difference in the value to the team of the 2 players.

But even if you are someone who said, "Don't offer Crede a contract," you were not wrong about Joe Crede.