The OFFICIAL "I was wrong about Joe Crede" thread

shawnhillegas

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
I don't think the White Sox have any intention to sign Crede unless Fields completely busts in Charlotte. They may have approached him last year when he was hurt hoping for a bargain and perhaps intending to use Fields in a trade for M. Cabrera or something like that, but if Crede has a good year, the Sox will not want to pay him the market rate if they still feel Fields is going to be good. So this is a one year thing. They couldn't get anything of value for him in a trade, but they could get a nice year out of him for $5.1 million, which would be better than a couple of non prospects IMO.

Well, that's probably the current plan, but as you well know, that could very well change should this team be in contention come July...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
I'm not saying they would circumvent Boras. I'm saying if they made Joe an offer along the lines of 4/44 or something, he may take it even though Boras would advise against it.

I see Crede in pin stripes

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
Nothing is guaranteed,especially with backs. I just looked into it a little further though, and Alomar Jr. had his back surgery in 1993, which means he played post surgery for 14 years, including 3 or 4 stints with the White Sox, and his back was never an issue, although he had so many other injuries that maybe it helped his back from not blowing up.

So, on this -- is there anything that says the Alomar had the procedure on two discs? Because in the (admittedly limited) study I mentioned, the odds seem to be much worse for the two-level procedure.

I'm mostly thinking about that one study, the discussion with ptatc, and Crede's reluctance to undergo the surgery in 2006. (I know the Sox and Crede keep describing this as a 'very minor procedure, in-and-out, no biggie' -- but if that were the case there was no reason to put it off a year.) Looking at all that, 3 or 4 years down the road doesn't look very good to me, and definitely not good enough to gamble $10+ mil on it. (Personally, I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that even if Crede were completely healthy.) This debate has been rehashed so many times here, I'm just going to leave it at that. Jmo.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)
So, on this -- is there anything that says the Alomar had the procedure on two discs? Because in the (admittedly limited) study I mentioned, the odds seem to be much worse for the two-level procedure.

I'm mostly thinking about that one study, the discussion with ptatc, and Crede's reluctance to undergo the surgery in 2006. (I know the Sox and Crede keep describing this as a 'very minor procedure, in-and-out, no biggie' -- but if that were the case there was no reason to put it off a year.) Looking at all that, 3 or 4 years down the road doesn't look very good to me, and definitely not good enough to gamble $10+ mil on it. (Personally, I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that even if Crede were completely healthy.) This debate has been rehashed so many times here, I'm just going to leave it at that. Jmo.

I could only find when he had the surgery, but I do remember the articles when the White Sox wanted him to have it saying that it was exactly the same as the Alomar procedure. The same discs from what I can remember. But that doesn't mean he won't have any trouble getting out of bed tomorrow morning. The only way I see the Sox signing Crede to a huge contract is if he has a huge year, the team has a huge year, and Fields is awful in AAA, or traded for someone during the season. I think the odds are pretty good Fields is at 3rd in 2009. I think the organization is as high on him as a lot of people on this board.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
I could only find when he had the surgery, but I do remember the articles when the White Sox wanted him to have it saying that it was exactly the same as the Alomar procedure. The same discs from what I can remember. But that doesn't mean he won't have any trouble getting out of bed tomorrow morning. The only way I see the Sox signing Crede to a huge contract is if he has a huge year, the team has a huge year, and Fields is awful in AAA, or traded for someone during the season. I think the odds are pretty good Fields is at 3rd in 2009. I think the organization is as high on him as a lot of people on this board.

This is all I can find about the comparison:

This surgical procedure, as Crede explained it, would have involved a small incision in the back and could have been done as an outpatient procedure. Sandy Alomar Jr. had the same surgery in 1993 and was out of action from May 15 to Aug. 7.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

That doesn't mean that it was exactly the same. "The same surgery" could just mean that they both got a discectomy.