2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:28 AM)
Brewers' sloppy defense has allowed the Cubs to have the bases loaded with one out.

Brewers need to take Sheets out. Instead of trying to get more runs in the top of the 5th, they let him bat and he goes out on the mound. He's now walked 6 batters, and about 80 pct of his fastballs have been up in the zone.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
Wouldn't be surprised to see a tying HR by Reed here.

Glad I was wrong.

Despite bringing the tying run to the plate, Gagne stuff looked good. Fastball his 93 or 94 and he threw some nasty breaking stuff.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
Nice win for the Brewers. That home plate umpire was sensational.

Don't take this the wrong way as I beleive you and I are identical in our Sox / cub fandom but I find it funny that you only post positive things for the cub and hardly ever anything positive when the lose.

They have dropepd 3 of 4 and their offense was shut down on 2 occassions by the Nats. The only reason they have any hope at all is becasue of Zambrano and their line-up 3-5 are really good right now.

Soriano is quickly becoming a shell of his former self as they are killing his legs in the OF and Ramirez is good for at least one trip to the DL.

Ramirez and Lee could be the best 3/4 in baseball and they are by far the best 1B/3B combo. Outside of Big Z and Marmol that pitching staff is shaky and their team down the middle of the field is below average. Reed Johnson is nice but he is not an answer in CF.

Here's a question someone asked me at work today: are the White Sox better at any offensive position compared to who the Cubs have at that position? Swisher in CF is the only position I said for sure, with C and SS pretty close.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
Are you talking about this year or career or who is the better player right now? Its hard to compare with all the bums pitching in the NL central. Highly subjective.

Well for that matter, let's compare pitching staffs. Outside of Zambrano, who on their staff is better then Sox pitchers?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2008 -> 02:41 AM)
Well for that matter, let's compare pitching staffs. Outside of Zambrano, who on their staff is better then Sox pitchers?

Hard to argue with Dempster so far. Cardinals have good pitching match-ups this weekend vs Cubs...be nice if they win at least 2 of 3.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
Here's a question someone asked me at work today: are the White Sox better at any offensive position compared to who the Cubs have at that position? Swisher in CF is the only position I said for sure, with C and SS pretty close.

Sox are better in left field.

Left is what we can claim as of right now. Johnson their center fielder has been doing a great job, catcher goes to the Rook Soto has 20+ rbis . But hey we are still up there in OPS... what a joke.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
Are you talking about this year or career or who is the better player right now? Its hard to compare with all the bums pitching in the NL central. Highly subjective.

We have faced some pretty lousy pitchers as well, but our offense does not capitalize. Give the Cubs credit for what their offense is doing , we need to get it going.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ May 1, 2008 -> 04:30 AM)
We have faced some pretty lousy pitchers as well, but our offense does not capitalize. Give the Cubs credit for what their offense is doing , we need to get it going.

Cubs have 4 guys in Theriot, Lee, Derosa, and Fukudome who spray the ball to all fields. If they get this type of production from Soto, they're a top 3 team in the NL. Hopefully Soriano returns and plays as bad as he did prior to the injury.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
Hard to argue with Dempster so far. Cardinals have good pitching match-ups this weekend vs Cubs...be nice if they win at least 2 of 3.

I'll believe Dempster if he can keep it up throughout June. As of now, I don't believe it.

Just for trivial purposes, there was a reliever turned starter last year who put up a 1.91 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 18/10 K/BB and 2 homers allowed in 5 starts, 33 IP in April last year. He ended the year with a 4.94 ERA.

I'm not saying Ryan Dempster is Braden Looper by any stretch of the imagination, but I am saying I wouldn't be surprised if his year end line looked like that. Pretty similar numbers to be quite honest.

i thought the national league was going to be better this year...its not, its worse....arizona is damn good, but beyond that all of those teams in the NL west are subpar....san diego cant hit a lick, the rockies were the biggest 25 game fluke maybe ive ever seen last year and they cant pitch either, san fran is 13-16 which should tell you something, because that team is god awful...LA is average

NL central...cubs are a good team, milwaulkee is a pretty good team, stl is bad but playing well cuz they beat up on the other NL teams....beyond that the bottom 3 are bad to beyond bad

the east is the best of the divisions...the mets phillies and braves are pretty solid teams....washington is terrible and florida is bad

the AL is so much stronger, and now that the DRays Os and royals have climbed into respectability, the only bottom feeder is texas...the AL just doesnt have nearly as many of those teams that should be an automatic series victory, and probably a sweep like washington, san fran, pittsburgh, cincy and maybe even houston

i know i sound like sour grapes right now...and thats because i am, im just so sick of guys like jeff suppan who get run out of the AL and become #2s on decent NL teams, then when the cubs (who i will give them credit, have a legit offense) pound them...my idiot cub fan friends give me crap about it

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
I'll believe Dempster if he can keep it up throughout June. As of now, I don't believe it.

Just for trivial purposes, there was a reliever turned starter last year who put up a 1.91 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 18/10 K/BB and 2 homers allowed in 5 starts, 33 IP in April last year. He ended the year with a 4.94 ERA.

I'm not saying Ryan Dempster is Braden Looper by any stretch of the imagination, but I am saying I wouldn't be surprised if his year end line looked like that. Pretty similar numbers to be quite honest.

if dempster can keep it up for 2 starts he will have a shot at making the all star team, because the cubs begin a stretch from may 12 to may 28 of arguably the sorriest offensive schedule ever over a period of 16 games.....san diego for 4, pittsburgh for 3, houston for 3, pittsburgh for 3 more, and the dodgers for 3...

even beyond that htey get the offensively struggling rockies for 4, then out to SD, and LA where hitters go to die....then they finally start playing the big boy league and the NL east