If I was Ozzie...

YonderLaroche

I am the last one to blame the coach for the hitters not doing their job, but for the past 2 1/2 years this offense has been terrible. While that is probably not Walker's fault, someone has to take the blame. Sometimes making an impact by firing someone will send a message to the players.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
First thing we need to do with any lineup is make sure Uribe is far away from it. I'd keep the lineup vs. the righties pretty much the same, except replace Uribe with Ramirez. As for vs. lefties:

1. Swisher, CF

2. Cabrera, SS

3. Quentin, LF

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Thome, DH

6. Dye, RF

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Crede, 3B

9. Ozuna, 2B

I made a similar lineup suggestion. Quentin simply needs to be up in the order... I think its time for Swisher to be moved down... He did well most of April but i think the stress leading off and the mindset of getting on base is wearing on him. (Wow i just sounded like Hawk there, scary). Konerko should hit 6th until he finds his goove. I like Thome 5th, that is where he should have started the year off, he is simply not the hitter he once was. I like Dye as our #3 hitter, it worked well in the World Series and during most of the playoff games in '05. I love Ozuna, but Ozzie wont play him every day at 2b. Its Uribe's job until Richar gets healthy, OR KW magicially aqcuires Roberts ;)

I guess these suggestions are all fine and dandy, but it starts with the firering of Walker- he has to go.

This team needs a little more speed, and I want my boy Owens up here to lead things off, but there isn't room right now unless Thome or Paulie gets hurt, which is sad to say, but that probably wont hurt us much.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
1. Swisher, CF

2. Cabrera, SS

3. Quentin, LF

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Thome, DH

6. Dye, RF

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Crede, 3B

9. Ozuna, 2B

That's a much better lineup than the illogical one Ozzie has been putting out there all season. I like Quentin in the three hole and having Thome down fifth where he belongs.

wonder how much JR's loyalty to Walker is keeping him employed?

Ever since he had that seizure and had to retire, I think JR's had a soft spot for him.

Then JR should keep him on the payroll somewhere with other job responsibilities. I agree coaches aren't the ones hitting but like several on here have said, at some point somebody has to take the fall. The team continues to suck at the plate under him. Walker should be kept on in some capacity if JR loves him, but Baines should be made hitting coach immediately. No changes will happen, though. Oz and KW will say nobody was complaining a week and a half ago when the team was more comfortably in first place.

Edited by greg775

lol, Ozzie:

“[Nick] Swisher, [Orlando] Cabrera, Konerko, [Jim] Thome, [Jermaine] Dye, A.J. [Pierzynski] and [Joe] Crede, they don't need coaches,’’ Guillen said. “They need to get their heads out of their asses and start hitting.

Also mentions how Walk is not getting fired.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2008/05...ting_fired.html

Edited by RME JICO

I'm not a fan of Walker, but before you suggest just simply firing him, I'd like to see some candidates to replace him. The closest option the Sox have is Joe McEwing. Is that something Sox fans are ready for?

Personally I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it's not the best looking toy in the store.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 3, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
I'm not a fan of Walker, but before you suggest just simply firing him, I'd like to see some candidates to replace him. The closest option the Sox have is Joe McEwing. Is that something Sox fans are ready for?

Personally I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it's not the best looking toy in the store.

How much impact does a hitting coach really have on a team? A firing would be more of a superficial move if anything.

Edited by RME JICO

firing walker won't do sh**, please stop rehashing this old and useless idea because the guys on the team that might actually NEED a hitting coach (Quentin and BA) are actually hitting PRETTY DAMN WELL so far, the VETS whom have grooved swings and established approaches at the plate, are the ones who have their heads up their asses

now, you can ask yourself why did we HIRE walker in the first place, which is a valid question to a point, but to fire him is pointless and only serves to make yourself feel better because of how this team is making YOU feel by their constant losing, you want someone to play scape goat because your feelings are hurt

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 3, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
firing walker won't do sh**, please stop rehashing this old and useless idea because the guys on the team that might actually NEED a hitting coach (Quentin and BA) are actually hitting PRETTY DAMN WELL so far, the VETS whom have grooved swings and established approaches at the plate, are the ones who have their heads up their asses

now, you can ask yourself why did we HIRE walker in the first place, which is a valid question to a point, but to fire him is pointless and only serves to make yourself feel better because of how this team is making YOU feel by their constant losing, you want someone to play scape goat because your feelings are hurt

All I said was that he lacked some of the tools that you need to have to be a successful hitting instructor.

If he can get mentored by a more experienced coach, like say, Charlie Manuel or Walt Hriniak, in the offseason. Then, he can keep his job.

Rowand himself acknowledged indirectly, that Walker lacked the hitting coach insight that the Philly hitting coach had, earlier in this thread.

Jim Thome, who learned from Manuel, might also agree.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ May 3, 2008 -> 10:04 PM)
How much impact does a hitting coach really have on a team? A firing would be more of a superficial move if anything.

Initially, but hitting coaches have to be able to help these players adjust to what they are up against, or so you'd have to imagine. I mean, it's been almost 2 years now, and the Sox offense is still stagnant. A lineup as talented as the Sox is now doesn't just suck this badly and have this many vets perform below their career averages for as long as they have.

I agree that the firing of Greg Walker should take place, but you also need to instill someone who will help these guys through such tough times. The Sox peaks and valleys may be more severe than any other team in the majors (or so it seems to us, anyways).

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 3, 2008 -> 10:16 PM)

That is a horrible arguement. Is it Walker's fault the offense sucks? Probably not. But it is his job title as hitting coach to take all the blame (or glory) for the results of the offense. It's kinda tough to fire 12-13 players. An example has to be made, and as we have seen in other places, the firing of a hitting coach can spark the offense.

Also, you saying someone like Quentin needs a hitting coach is assinine. Quentin has been a great hitter his whole life, and everything you see from him is due to his incredible work ethic and talent. BA on the otherhand needs to get some talent in the hitting department.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 3, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
But it is his job title as hitting coach to take all the blame (or glory)

I'm very glad you bring this up, because Don Cooper has lived off of his reputation for the 2005 season.

Not saying he's not a good pitching coach, but there are quite a few better than him. He seems middle of the pack to me.

Actually Oz makes a good point about them being veterans and needing to wake up.

Mariotti now has his ammo though to get Oz fired. He can write that he called out the veterans saying they need to get their head out of their ass and how can they possibly respect Ozzie again, blah blah.

Oz has a big mouth, blah blah.

Oz's quote was pretty cool, I thought.

He called out the lumbering, but now slumbering veteran bats.

It is an absolute abomination that this team is 4th in the AL in runs per game. The only thing that could be worse would be if the Sox were any one of the ten AL teams that are worse than them at scoring. The only saving grace so far this season is the sheer volume of whining and complaining that goes on on this website. The exaggerated hyper-focus and overreaction to anything bad coupled with a complete failure to put it in the context of baseball, the professional baseball season, sanity, or the performance of any and all of the other baseball teams is the main thing I look forward to each day. If the Tigers were to open up the season 0-7 I would ignore it immediately. But if the Sox were to lose a few games in a row I would make myself certain that they would never win again, that their horrendous 4th best offense would continue the rest of the season being just as horrendous and 4th best. Might also suggest that bringing up a minor leaguer would fix it all, potentially one who can't hit.

Also, Walker should stop teaching that bat swinging style he has been doing this week, and go back to telling the batters to do it how they were doing earlier this year, when they were doing well. I don't know why he changed the way he was telling them how to hit.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2008 -> 12:52 AM)
Actually Oz makes a good point about them being veterans and needing to wake up.

Mariotti now has his ammo though to get Oz fired. He can write that he called out the veterans saying they need to get their head out of their ass and how can they possibly respect Ozzie again, blah blah.

Oz has a big mouth, blah blah.

Oz's quote was pretty cool, I thought.

He called out the lumbering, but now slumbering veteran bats.

Does it matter what kind of ammo Mariotti has to fire at the Sox? No one within the organization respects him anyways.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ May 4, 2008 -> 01:43 AM)
It is an absolute abomination that this team is 4th in the AL in runs per game. The only thing that could be worse would be if the Sox were any one of the ten AL teams that are worse than them at scoring. The only saving grace so far this season is the sheer volume of whining and complaining that goes on on this website. The exaggerated hyper-focus and overreaction to anything bad coupled with a complete failure to put it in the context of baseball, the professional baseball season, sanity, or the performance of any and all of the other baseball teams is the main thing I look forward to each day. If the Tigers were to open up the season 0-7 I would ignore it immediately. But if the Sox were to lose a few games in a row I would make myself certain that they would never win again, that their horrendous 4th best offense would continue the rest of the season being just as horrendous and 4th best. Might also suggest that bringing up a minor leaguer would fix it all, potentially one who can't hit.

Also, Walker should stop teaching that bat swinging style he has been doing this week, and go back to telling the batters to do it how they were doing earlier this year, when they were doing well. I don't know why he changed the way he was telling them how to hit.

Post of the season so far.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 3, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
Also, you saying someone like Quentin needs a hitting coach is assinine. Quentin has been a great hitter his whole life, and everything you see from him is due to his incredible work ethic and talent. BA on the otherhand needs to get some talent in the hitting department.

Assinine? That's ridiculous, has been a great hitter his whole life? Yeah, he's got a TON of major league experience in his combined 1 season of major league at bats, there's no possible way that in his young age, he could develop a bad habit and actually NEED someone to help him make adjustments and get his swing back. Your whole post is ridiculous, no offense. The fact is, he's a young player and young players aren't veterans and haven't been through the ups and downs that go along with helping someone become an established hitter with few weaknesses.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 4, 2008 -> 05:11 AM)
Assinine? That's ridiculous, has been a great hitter his whole life? Yeah, he's got a TON of major league experience in his combined 1 season of major league at bats, there's no possible way that in his young age, he could develop a bad habit and actually NEED someone to help him make adjustments and get his swing back. Your whole post is ridiculous, no offense. The fact is, he's a young player and young players aren't veterans and haven't been through the ups and downs that go along with helping someone become an established hitter with few weaknesses.

Sure you go through bad habits and slumps... but if your worth a damn and know anything about baseball, you wouldn't need a hitting coach to get you out of said slump. A hitting coach pretty much gives advice, but that, most of the time, doesn't work. It is dependent on the player to fix it himself.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 4, 2008 -> 07:32 AM)
I love arguments about who needs coaching. My thought is simple: Tiger Woods has a swing coach.

Of course, but its ridiculous to think Greg Walker is the reason a guy hits .220 vs .320. If Tiger Woods didn't win a golf tournament ever again, would it be on the swing coach?

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 4, 2008 -> 06:01 AM)
Sure you go through bad habits and slumps... but if your worth a damn and know anything about baseball, you wouldn't need a hitting coach to get you out of said slump. A hitting coach pretty much gives advice, but that, most of the time, doesn't work. It is dependent on the player to fix it himself.

so what's your arguement then? fire walker because he's not needed, or fire walker because the guys who, in your words "Don't need a hitting coach" are slumping?

QUOTE (G&T @ May 4, 2008 -> 06:32 AM)
I love arguments about who needs coaching. My thought is simple: Tiger Woods has a swing coach.

Yeah, but he isn't that good. Didn't even win the Masters. I guess he needed better coaching.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 3, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
I'm very glad you bring this up, because Don Cooper has lived off of his reputation for the 2005 season.

Not saying he's not a good pitching coach, but there are quite a few better than him. He seems middle of the pack to me.

Cooper's success hasn't exactly been limited to 2005. Look at how Danks and Floyd have developed. He also got a good season out of Thornton in '06, got a very good year out of Javy last season, and has turned Jenks into a stud (despite declining velocity). While I agree that he's not Leo Mazzone or Dave Duncan, I'd say that he's probably a little better than average.

As for Walker, I agree that this mess isn't all his fault. But while he may be a competent hitting coach, what really matters is how players respond to his instruction. If he's not getting that much out of this crew, it's probably time to look at other options. It's probably also time to get rid of Dye or Thome, who are both past their prime and it's beginning to show.

The exaggerated hyper-focus and overreaction to anything bad coupled with a complete failure to put it in the context of baseball, the professional baseball season, sanity, or the performance of any and all of the other baseball teams is the main thing I look forward to each day. If the Tigers were to open up the season 0-7 I would ignore it immediately. But if the Sox were to lose a few games in a row I would make myself certain that they would never win again, that their horrendous 4th best offense would continue the rest of the season being just as horrendous and 4th best.

I disagree with the sarcasm. I think most posters here think in terms of "the context of baseball" before making an opinion.

The Sox have stunk for a while now, hitting wise, not just this year. They had a similar record in April last year and completely went in the tank. I think it's reasonable to have a dark side attitude toward the team. In "the context of baseball," my hope is with the starting pitching looking pretty darn good and as if it may be for real, there still is hope. I'm not convinced the offense is going to be even average, considering it has sucked for more than this season.