HDMI Help

greasywheels121

Okay, so I'm moving into first place post-college next week. I'm looking at buying my first HDTV, and I needed a bit of help from the fine folk of Soxtalk. I'm not completely blind to HDTV, as I've had family and roommates with HDTV over the past couple years.

I'm currently planning on getting a 40' Samsung LCD. My question is conerning the HDMI cords:

The store I'm looking at getting the TV suggests this cord; however, I have found this one online. Is there a difference in these two, outside of the price?

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 4, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
Okay, so I'm moving into first place post-college next week. I'm looking at buying my first HDTV, and I needed a bit of help from the fine folk of Soxtalk. I'm not completely blind to HDTV, as I've had family and roommates with HDTV over the past couple years.

I'm currently planning on getting a 40' Samsung LCD. My question is conerning the HDMI cords:

The store I'm looking at getting the TV suggests this cord; however, I have found this one online. Is there a difference in these two, outside of the price?

I have heard and read many studies about HDMI cables. Basically, they are all the same. Anything under 15ft are all the same. buy the cheapest. When you start going over 25-50 ft, then quality gets a little more important. But under 15', buy cheap.

As far as signal quality goes, all HDMI cables are the same. Its a digital signal, so unlike analog cables for composite video, its much more difficult for the signal to be degraded or interfered with.

HDMI is a Digital uncompressed signal you really can't improve it that much.......the component and composite cables are analog and are compressed so you would want the best with those.

Go with the the cheapies!!............Those cables in retail stores are a rip!

I'd go with these....http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Feet-Super-Resolution-Cable/dp/B0002L5R78

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 4, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)

Audio/Video cables often have HUGE markups and you can ignore Monster's nonsense about diamond plated phase harmonic inducers that improve signal quality.

Go to Monoprice.com and get one for $10.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 4, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
Audio/Video cables often have HUGE markups and you can ignore Monster's nonsense about diamond plated phase harmonic inducers that improve signal quality.

Go to Monoprice.com and get one for $10.

Just did this and am waiting for it to show up. Don't fall for Monster cables. You are paying for packaging and name and not for quality.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 4, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)
Buy the tv off me at Sears woodfield ;p. Support your fellow sox fan and his need for commision :P

I just bought a 42" Sony LCD from the Sears in Woodfield a few months back. Some old dude sold it to me.

As for the topic at hand, I currently have a Blu Ray player and Cable Box hooked up via HDMI cables I bought for under $5 on Amazon and they work great.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 4, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
I just bought a 42" Sony LCD from the Sears in Woodfield a few months back. Some old dude sold it to me.

As for the topic at hand, I currently have a Blu Ray player and Cable Box hooked up via HDMI cables I bought for under $5 on Amazon and they work great.

Lol only 2 old guys in dept and both with the name Joe. One is a dbag and the other is really cool.. so maybe that will tell you which one was the one who helped you.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 4, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
Lol only 2 old guys in dept and both with the name Joe. One is a dbag and the other is really cool.. so maybe that will tell you which one was the one who helped you.

He seemed like a decent enough guy but he was also trying to sell me a $1,600 tv so who knows. He didn't have much of a sense of humor, I don't think he smiled once the whole time we talked. If he was rude or had an attitude in anyway I wouldn't have given him the commission (out of spite of course), though it wouldn't surprise me if he was a dick away from the sales floor. He struck me as the kind of guy who stands around all day b****ing to his co-workers about the dumbass customers he's forced to deal with on a daily basis.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 4, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)
He seemed like a decent enough guy but he was also trying to sell me a $1,600 tv so who knows. He didn't have much of a sense of humor, I don't think he smiled once the whole time we talked. If he was rude or had an attitude in anyway I wouldn't have given him the commission (out of spite of course), though it wouldn't surprise me if he was a dick away from the sales floor. He struck me as the kind of guy who stands around all day b****ing to his co-workers about the dumbass customers he's forced to deal with on a daily basis.

Yeah you definitely prob had the d-bag Joe. He knows his s*** when it comes to TV's but always pushes customers to tv's that give him the highest commision % regardless of best interest for customer. Ive seen him be a complete dick to some customers but they still buy the tv off him so I guess they dont mind being treated like garbage. Pretty much everyone in dpt. hates him lol and he steals sales on a regular basis.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 4, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)

You'll be fine with any cable as long as it's under 15'.

I've had my 40" Samsung LCD for just over a year now, and it still looks as good or better than any other HDTV out there. Excellent choice.

Do not waste your money on stuff like Monster Cable. There is no reason for an HDMI cable to cost that much. Their market has to be like 1000%. I'll just agree with what everyone else said and say buy them online. I've had good luck with bluejeanscable.com

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)
Thanks again guys. I ended up getting one online for less than $2. :cheers

I may be having little threads/questions like this pop up in the coming weeks, as I'm officially making my entry into the real world...

Hey man, I'm about a couple of years ahead of you and would be a great source when it comes to purchases for homes as well as mortgages, when it's time to look for a new position, etc. Feel free to PM me with any world questions, because any help helps.

BTW, every thousand dollars you put away in your early twenties will be worth about $100,000 at retirement. Using 10% as an average rate of return for the stock market.

Your investment of $1,000.00 earning a rate of 12.00% annually for 40.00 years, would grow to $118,648, before taxes. This assumes that you do not withdraw investment earnings or make any additional contributions.

This table shows the future value of your investment for different time periods.

Year
Future Value

Without Additional Contributions

$1,127

$1,270

$1,431

$1,612

$1,817

$3,300

$5,996

$10,893

$35,950

$118,648

$391,583

I had a personal finance course in my second to last semester that got me insanely motivated to invest for retirement and the such (that sounds funny, being that I haven't started yet), but I definitely plan and intend to be as proactive/smart as I possibly can with my finances and investments.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 5, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
The only problem with buying one of the cheaper cables is that you keep thinking if I had bought the one that was $10 more would my picture be even better.

If I was selling those cables, that's about what I would say. You bought a $1,000 TV and now you worry about $30? The peace of mind alone should be worth $50. Watching a friend's TV and wondering if his picture is better because he bought the better cables. I know the guys here who install this stuff, buy the better cables, because they see hundreds of installs and they believe there is a difference. Plus half of that cost is my commission. We get paid big bucks on over priced accessories.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 5, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
I had a personal finance course in my second to last semester that got me insanely motivated to invest for retirement and the such (that sounds funny, being that I haven't started yet), but I definitely plan and intend to be as proactive/smart as I possibly can with my finances and investments.

I had friends in my twenties and thirties who drove older cars, lived in smaller homes, bought less expensive suits, took cheaper vacations, played public courses, who now live in paid off homes, have a better portfolio, will retire earlier, and send their kids to college easier.

I'm probably middle of the road, I saved about average for Americans. Just a couple year head start makes such a huge difference. But it falls on mostly deaf ears.

My understanding about it all there is no difference in quality in the silver plated or gold plated hdmi cables. Although ive been told in moist area's and whatnot the silver ones deteriate faster. And like its been mentioned before as long as your a foot or under in length there isnt going to be a difference. That being said after spending 1000-3000 on a tv why cheap out on a price difference of 20-30 like someone else previously mentioned... always wondering if quality could be a little better.

Also id suggest buying a cleaning kit which is only maybe 10 dollars because dont want to use just water and def. not windex on your screen.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 5, 2008 -> 07:45 AM)
The only problem with buying one of the cheaper cables is that you keep thinking if I had bought the one that was $10 more would my picture be even better.

I've read all over the place that it has zero effect on your picture. The only time it matters is if you have longer cables.