White Sox Clubhouse and Sex Dolls

HuskyCaucasian

I am sitting here trying to understand the logic

If you are a company where the public will never see your employees, blow dolls with bats in the butts is bad.

If you are a company where this will be publicized all over the world, which spends millions marketing to families and young kids, it's ok?

This may be the first time Sox fans have really surprised me. To defend that kind of image for our team just doesn't make sense.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)

If you are a company where the public will never see your employees, blow dolls with bats in the butts is bad.

If you are a company where this will be publicized all over the world, which spends millions marketing to families and young kids, it's ok?

This may be the first time Sox fans have really surprised me. To defend that kind of image for our team just doesn't make sense.

What is worse Tex, the plastic blow up dolls that are an obvious joke, or the amount of penis that they may see during a walk through after the game.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)

Tex. It's an argument we won't win. I gave up the fight this AM because it's obvious too many on this board just see it as antics and nothing worse.

I'll on the other hand continue to be disappointed that this crap is happening with my favorite professional sports franchise. This looped with Ozzie's latest barrage have me very saddened.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
People get too emotionally involved in this team and forget that it is just a business. Businesses are supposed to act professionally.

So we should call out every immature act from here on out? No Beer showers, no shaving cream pies to the face, no rookie hazing. This is all immature and unprofessional, and you wouldnt find this in a regular workplace, therefore it should never happen in baseball ever again. End of story.

this whole argument is just ridiculous. As if any one of us was surprised that this sort of thing happens in a major league lockerroom, then one suntimes columnist suddenly takes offense to it and the Sox are now labeled as sexist a-holes who are losing fans. Cry me a river

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
So we should call out every immature act from here on out? No Beer showers, no shaving cream pies to the face, no rookie hazing. This is all immature and unprofessional, and you wouldnt find this in a regular workplace, therefore it should never happen in baseball ever again. End of story.

this whole argument is just ridiculous. As if any one of us was surprised that this sort of thing happens in a major league lockerroom, then one suntimes columnist suddenly takes offense to it and the Sox are now labeled as sexist a-holes who are losing fans. Cry me a river

There's a difference between the actions you state above and a baseball bat in an inflatable vagina. Think about the children! Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children! ;)

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
What is worse Tex, the plastic blow up dolls that are an obvious joke, or the amount of penis that they may see during a walk through after the game.

They both are bad. The obvious joke because someone had to go buy the doll, position the doll, and stick the bats. Players have been fined for flashing reporters. And in a world that people are tortured and murdered everyday, should we really use the lowest denominator to determine what is acceptable behavior? Why prosecute stealing when other people are murdering? Why prosecute stealing a stereo when other people steal cars? It's a terrible argument to make.

If you act unprofessionally, you play unprofessionally.

Losing is a disease... as contagious as polio... as contagious as syphilis... as contagious as the bubonic plague... attacking one, but affecting all.

I must admit I'm shocked at how easily offended Sox fans are. Despite the fact the polling on the sun times website says the vast majority of Sox fans don't care about this, and despite the fact that I've asked half a dozen women about this today and none cared, some people seem to have a passion about this. I'm sure the Sox have learned this lesson though: Don't do this when the locker room opens to the press.

I'd bet the house this kind of stuff will continue, but it will be gone when those doors open to the press. Not sure if that will make those offended happy, but that is how it works. Things like these don't go away, they are just hidden better after controversy arises. I am just baffled that a blow up doll (not a real woman, a doll) can cause this much angst, as I am baffled that people are comparing the common workplace to a clubhouse, which you guys know better than to do.

Baseball players are womanizing, cheating, trifling pigs for the most part. It's been that way since Babe Ruth was on the beer, hot dogs, and women diet, and it's never changed. People one day might learn to seperate who players are on the field and who they are off of it, and the sooner the better.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
There's a difference between the actions you state above and a baseball bat in an inflatable vagina. Think about the children! Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children! ;)

I think about my seven year old every day, and this doesnt even register on her radar. I agree, this was childish, and should have been put away before the prying eyes of the female press saw it, but the level of outrage is off the charts.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
They both are bad. The obvious joke because someone had to go buy the doll, position the doll, and stick the bats. Players have been fined for flashing reporters. And in a world that people are tortured and murdered everyday, should we really use the lowest denominator to determine what is acceptable behavior? Why prosecute stealing when other people are murdering? Why prosecute stealing a stereo when other people steal cars? It's a terrible argument to make.

Wow where do you get the straw to build one that big.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 6, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
I must admit I'm shocked at how easily offended Sox fans are.

It's not Sox fans, it's the national media and the American public.

It's embarrassing to see.

Like the Ligue boys, like Disco Demolition, like the Black Sox scandal, like the old neighborhood, like our foul-mouthed manager.

More reason for the nation to look down their noses at the Sox and their fans.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
If you act unprofessionally, you play unprofessionally.

Losing is a disease... as contagious as polio... as contagious as syphilis... as contagious as the bubonic plague... attacking one, but affecting all.

So now the blowup doll is having a direct effect on the play of the team? GMAB, thats weak sauce

Plenty of teams have been extremely immature (Red Sox Cowboy up, Naked Damon) and have done just fine

Again it is a different environment -- REPORTERS ARE THERE! :lolhitting

Reporters are there, out in the open. They even dress differently then the players so the players can tell the difference. This is not their bathroom at home. Why is that such a difficult concept for people to get? The reporters are there because MLB and the Sox WANT THEM TO BE THERE! They help the team to sell tickets, get people to watch the television, and helps the players to earn millions. It comes with the territory and the players have lived with it forever.

This is like the morons that stand behind reporters on live feeds and jump up and down and flash signs.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
I think about my seven year old every day, and this doesnt even register on her radar. I agree, this was childish, and should have been put away before the prying eyes of the female press saw it, but the level of outrage is off the charts.

Where's the outrage? The level of outrage is not off the charts. Some people have pointed out that it's unprofessional and embarrassing for the franchise, others think it's just baseball players being baseball players.

The argument lies in the spot where I'm just embarrassed. With the s*** that's been going on with this franchise, this was something it didn't need. I'm not outraged, but when I first brought up the subject way back on page 1, I did so because everyone thought it was funny and I thought it was lame and childish and embarrassing.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)

Like the Ligue boys, like Disco Demolition, like the Black Sox scandal, like the old neighborhood, like our foul-mouthed manager.

I'm glad to see that Knightni understands the big issue here. It's embarrassing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
Where's the outrage? The level of outrage is not off the charts. Some people have pointed out that it's unprofessional and embarrassing for the franchise, others think it's just baseball players being baseball players.

The argument lies in the spot where I'm just embarrassed. With the s*** that's been going on with this franchise, this was something it didn't need. I'm not outraged, but when I first brought up the subject way back on page 1, I did so because everyone thought it was funny and I thought it was lame and childish and embarrassing.

We are approaching 20 pages of it

QUOTE (knightni @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)

The Ligue boys actually attacked somebody, disco demolition actually put people in danger with stuff blowing up, the black sox broke laws and lost on purpose, the old neighborhood was a hell hole, and our manager often says things that are specifically attacking specific groups, particularly gays. To compare all of that to a stupid blow up doll (again, a doll) with some bats around it is pretty extreme. To be honest, I never have or will own or have even seen a blow up doll in person. It's stupid and childish, but to say it's offensive is a bit of a leap since it's not and doesn't affect actual, real people.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
Again it is a different environment -- REPORTERS ARE THERE! :lolhitting

Reporters are there, out in the open. They even dress differently then the players so the players can tell the difference. This is not their bathroom at home. Why is that such a difficult concept for people to get? The reporters are there because MLB and the Sox WANT THEM TO BE THERE! They help the team to sell tickets, get people to watch the television, and helps the players to earn millions. It comes with the territory and the players have lived with it forever.

This is like the morons that stand behind reporters on live feeds and jump up and down and flash signs.

:lolhitting

People just don't understand this Tex. They all think women shouldn't be allowed in the "locker room" nor to pursue their career goals, and that it's perfectly acceptable to subject any woman who's just- doing her job to blow up dolls and the like, showing a blatant disrespect for women and their comfort.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
We are approaching 20 pages of it

Dude, this is 20 pages, but 15 of it is defending the Sox. A very few posters are actually upset with this, and I wouldn't say it's on the level of outrage. It's just embarrassing that it had to be our franchise that did this one. It's always our franchise or our manager.

I'm happy to point out that it was the White Sox clubhouse that forced positive tests by refusing to take the steroids test and thus implementing manadatory testing, and I'm disappointed it was the White Sox clubhouse that did this act. It goes both ways for me.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 6, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
The Ligue boys actually attacked somebody, disco demolition actually put people in danger with stuff blowing up, the black sox broke laws and lost on purpose, the old neighborhood was a hell hole, and our manager often says things that are specifically attacking specific groups, particularly gays. To compare all of that to a stupid blow up doll (again, a doll) with some bats around it is pretty extreme. To be honest, I never have or will own or have even seen a blow up doll in person. It's stupid and childish, but to say it's offensive is a bit of a leap since it's not and doesn't affect actual, real people.

Each episode, no matter its severity, goes into the White Sox history vault and is brought up time and time again when ESPN/CNN/Fox Sports want to create a connection or story on how low class the Sox and their fans appear to be. Why add flame to the fire?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 6, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
but to say it's offensive is a bit of a leap since it's not and doesn't affect actual, real people.

Therein lies the disconnect. It effects any female professional who ever hopes to step into a baseball clubhouse to do her job reporting.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
People just don't understand this Tex. They all think women shouldn't be allowed in the "locker room" nor to pursue their career goals, and that it's perfectly acceptable to subject any woman who's just- doing her job to blow up dolls and the like, showing a blatant disrespect for women and their comfort.

Other than the fact that I know two female sports writers, and both have told me today they understand going in that weird s*** like this comes with the territory of the job, your dead on. :unsure:

Look, if these guys were flauting naked in front of the reporters, or hitting on female reporters, that's a way way different story. But again, it's a doll. Until it's not a doll, the level of offense people are taking will baffle me.

Edited by whitesoxfan101