J4L is headed for the slammer

Jordan4life_2007

Just got back from court. I will be sentenced to 10 days in CC for driving on a statutory suspended license (it was originally suspensed for driving drunk). Anyway, I've never been in actual jail before. I'm a little nervous. Has anybody from the board spent any time in jail? What should I expect? Are the "don't drop the soap or else" myths true? Any info will be appreciated.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

men get lonely when they are locked up for a long time and they have certain urges . . .

Relax. It will probably be a bunch of guys like yourself. The county jail down here has inmates that perform community service during the day and are locked up at night. I've had them helping on several projects and it sucks to be locked up, but it shouldn't be violent.

Sorry to hear that j4l. I know a girl whose brother spent a substantial amount of time in jail, and he had to watch his back at all times. I dont imagine that would be the case for you, considering the amount of time you will be there. My buddy was there over christmas break for skipping a court date, and he just said it was boring and it really sucked. The food was bad, and you sit in your cell and do nothing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
Just got back from court. I will be sentenced to 10 days in CC for driving on a statutory suspended license (it was originally suspensed for driving drunk). Anyway, I've never been in actual jail before. I'm a little nervous. Has anybody from the board spent any time in jail? What should I expect? Are the "don't drop the soap or else" myths true? Any info will be appreciated.

Was that your first DUI? And what did you get pulled over for when you were driving on a statutorily suspended license? Seems a little harsh that they would actually give you 10 days in jail....

my roommate in college had to do a couple weekends for discharging a firearm in our apartment. He said it was just real boring but nothing like having to watch your back or whatnot. A lot of people like him in there for short amounts of time for minor, stupid things. If they let you bring anything, bring some long books to help kill time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)

I had to spend a few days in CC about 10 years ago for not fulfilling a community service order (don't ask!). Back then you only stayed there for half the sentenced amount. It wasn't as bad as some make it out to be. It's not a federal prison. No one can be sentenced for over 1 year there so it's not like you'll be running into guys who haven't seen a woman in 40 years.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
Was that your first DUI? And what did you get pulled over for when you were driving on a statutorily suspended license? Seems a little harsh that they would actually give you 10 days in jail....

Yes, it was my first offense. I got pulled over for not signaling while coming out of a fast food joint (basically the cop was f***ing with me). Because my suspension was based off a DUI, it carries a harsher penalty when caught driving. I was given the option of entering some SWAP program for 30 days instead of jail. Only thing is I'd have to complete over 200 hours of community service. Plus I would've been on supervision for a year. So I just went with the jail time.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 6, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Wow after reading the posts in this thread jail dont seem half bad.I could really use a vacation,do they have pamphlets or a website with their rates? :P

:lolhitting A number of years ago a buddy and I were thinking a couple years just reading books and hanging out in a minimum security palce sounded pretty damn good. Some even have golf courses. I think you have to be a politican to get in that one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
I lost a college roommate to a drunk driver. My only advice would be to learn your lesson, and never ever take that chance again. One night could literally ruin an entire family.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
I hear you loud and clear, SS. That night was pretty much the worst mistake I've ever made. I haven't gone anywhere near a car when hammered since then.

IF you've learned your lesson and mean it, good for you. I don't know you, but I certainly hope you have indeed learned your lesson.

People make mistakes, in this case, you didn't kill anyone for your mistake, and that's a good thing. Just don't make the mistake again.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
I hear you loud and clear, SS. That night was pretty much the worst mistake I've ever made. I haven't gone anywhere near a car when hammered since then.

Good to hear. Learn your lesson and come away a better person for it. That is the most important thing you can do with this situation.