Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
Hughes has a hideous contract, shoots at a hideous rate, and takes way more shots than he should in the first place. Gordon, on the other hand, is our best scorer, hands down, and is a phenomenal 3 point shooter. I agree that Hughes is better defensively though. Handles won't mean much for Hughes with Rose on the squad now.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't really like Ben Gordon.

Ben Gordon's new contract will not be good. I think he is about as one-dimensional a player as there is.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
Why does every person keep talking about dumping Hughes but keeping Ben Gordon. Hughes is a taller Gordon, with handles, that actually plays good defense. I would want him over Gordon on this team every day of the week, especially with a rookie starting next to him in the backcourt.

Gordon is the superior offensive player, however, Hughes has a very unique skill-set and I figure he's going to stick on the Bulls because they can't get rid of him. He isn't excatly an efficient offensive scorer but aside from that he can handle the ball better than Gordon and is a much better defender. He does have injury issues though and one could question how well he'll play within an offense (but than again, I don't really see how Gordon plays within an offense).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
Ben Gordon's new contract will not be good. I think he is about as one-dimensional a player as there is.

At least he's one of the best at that 1 dimension.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
Gordon is the superior offensive player, however, Hughes has a very unique skill-set and I figure he's going to stick on the Bulls because they can't get rid of him. He isn't excatly an efficient offensive scorer but aside from that he can handle the ball better than Gordon and is a much better defender. He does have injury issues though and one could question how well he'll play within an offense (but than again, I don't really see how Gordon plays within an offense).

The one big benefit of Hughes and the reason you might want to hold him at this point...he's a 2010 year monstrous expiring contract. That's the Lebron/Wade year. We may not be in a position to make a run at either of those 2, especially if we use the MLE or we trade Hinrich/Noc and don't get back an expiring deal...but for a team like the Knicks, Nets, or others who want to sink their teeth in to those 2 players...the value of that contract is only going to go up from here (and that's assuming Hughes simply doesn't even play for the next 2 years).

Free Agency has begun. Remember Bulls fans or basketball fans in general, check out www.talkbulls.com for all the latest news. We've had some good discussion on all of the Bulls trade rumors (ie, all the rumors involving Hinrich) was all as some solid discussions relating to the implications Barons Davis, Corey Maggette, and Elton Brand's UFA status (now that they've opted out) will have on Gordon/Deng's contracts.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
Free Agency has begun. Remember Bulls fans or basketball fans in general, check out www.talkbulls.com for all the latest news. We've had some good discussion on all of the Bulls trade rumors (ie, all the rumors involving Hinrich) was all as some solid discussions relating to the implications Barons Davis, Corey Maggette, and Elton Brand's UFA status (now that they've opted out) will have on Gordon/Deng's contracts.

I expect either a quiet offseason or a huge move- nothin' in between. I think we'll see either Gordon and Deng get re-signed, or they both will and then Gordon along with Hinrich and TT being sent to LAC for Brand.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
I expect either a quiet offseason or a huge move- nothin' in between. I think we'll see either Gordon and Deng get re-signed, or they both will and then Gordon along with Hinrich and TT being sent to LAC for Brand.

Gordon, Hinrich, and Tyrus for Brand will not happen, I can guarantee that. Paxson wouldn't pull the trigger if thats what LA wanted unless he was getting SERIOUS pressure from JR.

Maggette's been rumored to sign with either Orlando or New Orleans.

The most we can offer is the MLE, and Maggette's probably worth more than that.

The thing is, is he going to get more money from anyone else? The Clippers are after Davis and want to re-sign Brand. The Warriors made a huge offer for Arenas, 5/100 also FWIW.

A lineup of Nelson, Maggette, Turkoglu, Lewis and Howard looks pretty good. Still need a big at the 4 spot though. And if we signed Maggette, we'd lose Keyon Dooling for sure, and I think SVG wants him back big time.

Pleaaaaaaaase sign Brand. Whatever it takes. I know they're gonna have to dump some salary though. But Brand would have a Pau Gasol effect on this team (and Brand > Gasol).

I realize I'm probably just daydreaming but still.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
Pleaaaaaaaase sign Brand. Whatever it takes. I know they're gonna have to dump some salary though. But Brand would have a Pau Gasol effect on this team (and Brand > Gasol).

I realize I'm probably just daydreaming but still.

I would be all for it if they trade some bodies ( gooden,noc) . However, if this screws up our cap space for 2010 I would rather pass.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
I would be all for it if they trade some bodies ( gooden,noc) . However, if this screws up our cap space for 2010 I would rather pass.

There's no way it would not limit the cap space in 2010, as far as I can tell. He opted out of a ~$17 mil option, so he's clearly looking for more than the MLE, which would be at most about $30 mil total over 5 years (iirc -- and he should be able to get much more). Basically the only way you get him is a sign-and-trade with the Clippers, but he'll certainly want a 4+ year deal at decent money. I think at best it would be a sideways move in terms of 2010 cap space, instead of clearing money by moving Hinrich, say.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
Oh, plus, Brand has been saying that he wants to resign with the Clippers. Doesn't mean he won't listen to other teams, but he seems to be serious about it.

I heard that he wants to stay in LA or sign with MIA.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
I heard that he wants to stay in LA or sign with MIA.

Has he said anything about Miami, or is it just that Miami would like to get him (which has been rumored for a while now)? It would be a tough sell now that Beasley is down there, especially when they already have Haslem and Marion. Even if you trade Marion, do you play Beasley at the 3 to accommodate Brand?

Davis for $10M a season is crazy.

But now Maggette has to settle for the MLE.

Boston have already offered it to him though. Let's see if he "really" wants to go back to Orlando.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
Has he said anything about Miami, or is it just that Miami would like to get him (which has been rumored for a while now)? It would be a tough sell now that Beasley is down there, especially when they already have Haslem and Marion. Even if you trade Marion, do you play Beasley at the 3 to accommodate Brand?

Well, before the draft some people were saying he might project to a 3 in the NBA anyway. Not to say he won't play PF, but I don't think moving him to SF would hurt anything.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
Well, before the draft some people were saying he might project to a 3 in the NBA anyway. Not to say he won't play PF, but I don't think moving him to SF would hurt anything.

His height profiles more as a 3, but he plays an inside game. He'll score at whatever position, but you're limiting his rebounding ability and asking him to defend along the perimeter. (Not that defense is his strong suit, anyway, but you'd like to play him where his defense is 'less weak'.) It wouldn't be a disaster, but it's not the best use of his skills.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
His height profiles more as a 3, but he plays an inside game. He'll score at whatever position, but you're limiting his rebounding ability and asking him to defend along the perimeter. (Not that defense is his strong suit, anyway, but you'd like to play him where his defense is 'less weak'.) It wouldn't be a disaster, but it's not the best use of his skills.

Even so, Beasley-Brand would be one of the better 3-4 combos in the league.