Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
Beasley 9 points on 1-13 shooting and 5 turnovers.

Time to call it a career. He's a bust.

"Heat fans need to be prepared that there is a much higher chance that Rose pans out than Beasley does."

Since I guess this is the NBA thread now, Elton Brand will apparently sign with the 76ers.

ESPN story

That's a VERY interesting team once it becomes official and they extend Iguodala (though no assumptions yet since we said the same thing about the Clippers after they signed Davis).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
Since I guess this is the NBA thread now, Elton Brand will apparently sign with the 76ers.

ESPN story

That's a VERY interesting team once it becomes official and they extend Iguodala (though no assumptions yet since we said the same thing about the Clippers after they signed Davis).

wow haha i thought brand was going to take less with the clippers so that davis could sign....either way that philly team is gonna be good next year...they were already high flying up and down the court and brand is gonna solidify their half court offense....thaddeus young looks to have a bright future too

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)

ESPN story

Yeah that team's going to be good next season, top 6, and the East has gotten a lot deeper already this off-season.

Magic signed Mickael Pietrus as well for the MLE. Interesting signing, that we'd go for him over Maggette, because he's a better defender and 3 point shooter (which is what we need from the SG spot). It'll be nice if we actually have someone to guard Rip Hamilton come playoff time.

Assuming Davis really does want out of Golden State (and it sounds like he does), the Clippers are really his only option barring a major sign-and-trade or a serious paycut. Golden State, the Clippers, Philadelphia and Memphis are the only teams with significant cap room. Philly is using it on Brand and Memphis isn't going to make a sizeable offer. He probably won't be happy about it, but unless something weird happens he'll honor his verbal agreement.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
Yeah that team's going to be good next season, top 6, and the East has gotten a lot deeper already this off-season.

Magic signed Mickael Pietrus as well for the MLE. Interesting signing, that we'd go for him over Maggette, because he's a better defender and 3 point shooter (which is what we need from the SG spot). It'll be nice if we actually have someone to guard Rip Hamilton come playoff time.

The East will be a lot more interesting this year. Boston is the defending champ, Orlando will be back and Detroit still has 4 above average starters. Philly looks like a major contender for that #4 spot along with possibly Toronto if O'Neal is healthy. Washington has their big 3 back and might be healthier (not a fan personally, but they have talent), Lebron will likely keep Cleveland from falling to far. Then you still have a young Atlanta team, a potentially resurgent Miami team with Beasley and maybe a healthy Wade and MAYBE the Bulls if they do things right. You might actually have to earn a playoff spot in the East this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
Celtics

Cavs

Magic

Pistons

76ers

Bulls

Heat

Bucks

Yep.

so start getting ready for a Magic-Bulls Round 1?

cant wait til mid april!

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
so start getting ready for a Magic-Bulls Round 1?

cant wait til mid april!

Switch around the Bulls and Heat. My mistake.

Celtics over Bucks in 4

Cavs over Bulls in 6

Magic over Heat in 7

76ers over Pistons in 7

Celtics over 76ers in 7

Cavs over Magic in 7

Cavs over Celtics in 7

Lakers over Cavs in 6

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)

Maggette's going to GS for more than the MLE, so he probably wasn't an option.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 05:11 AM)
Maggette's going to GS for more than the MLE, so he probably wasn't an option.

Showed where his priorities were when he took that offer over San Antonio's or Boston's.

So all in all, I like the Pietrus signing now, even though it means Keyon Dooling is probably headed back to Miami.

Rock,

Whats funny is after Beasley's performance on TalkBulls I said:

"Theres no way Rose could do worse than what Beasley did tonight."

I believe Rose went 2/9, but had 7 assists, 6 rebs, and 3 steals.

And please dont act like this was based on 1 summer game, Ive been advocating Beasley since the Bulls won the lotto. Its not about the summer league, its about their college career, its about their status as prep stars, etc.

/shrugs

As ive said I hope that Rose turns out to be the best player in the NBA, I just feel that he will need to work on his jump shot and develop a better outside game.

But hey, im sure that after 2 years people will be saying:

"Its only been 2 years, hes 21 how can you judge."

(Believe that works with both players.)

The reality is you judged based on what you have. Right now we have High School career, College career, and 2 summer league games. Based on what Ive seen, I like Beasley more. Now I hope that I am wrong, but it doesnt mean Im not going to state my opinion even if its unpopular.

:)

I also think right now Beasley is the "better player / prospect" but because of attitude problems, Chicago's need for a floor general and with Rose being a local, they were never going to pick Beasley.

JMHO though.

DBAHO,

Watching Beasley play last year, especially in big games, I really didnt see him have much of a problem leading a team. In yesterdays game he was running off the court diving for loose balls in a summer league game.

The problem I have is that I dont really want any rookie to be my teams leader unless they are a Lebron type who can score at will.

My personal feeling is that Beasley got knocked out by Wisconsin and Rose went all the way to the title game. He got more press in that last month and then when he put up great combine numbers (whatever they call it in the NBA) people started to get all dreamy about how its a "guard's league" and Beasley wasn't tall enough to play his more suited PF position, and then you have GM's with doubt.

Some what inverse position of the Michael Jordan draft. Hakeem and Bowie went before Jordan because "you need a big man to win", "finding a good big man is harder than finding a guard", etc.

At this point theres no going back, but it wont make me change my opinion. Just like with good old Cedric (Benson), hated him from the day we drafted him. I always hope for my teams players to do the best, but I can disagree with the choices made by management.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Showed where his priorities were when he took that offer over San Antonio's or Boston's.

So all in all, I like the Pietrus signing now, even though it means Keyon Dooling is probably headed back to Miami.

Pietrus is no Maggette, but he's still a very solid value for the MLE. No question it's a good deal for the Magic.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Pietrus is no Maggette, but he's still a very solid value for the MLE. No question it's a good deal for the Magic.

Well Otis Smith has hit on the MLE before with Hedo Turkoglu who has been a bargain there, and Pietrus is basically at the same stage of his career as where Hedo was when he left Sacramento.

If SVG can motivate him (because he had issues with his old coach Don Nelson (but then again who doesn't)), then yeah this signing could really pay off.

If we could somehow re-sign Dooling (think we have his Bird rights so we may go over the cap, but we should because we need to get deeper), and trade Redick and a future pick for a big, then I think this team is capable of top 2 in the East next season.

The problem is though, Hedo's contract is up after the end of the upcoming season, and he's going to want around $10M a season. Don't know if we can do that (why do we have to pay Lewis $18M a season).

I totally forgot Atlanta and Toronto.

Celtics

Cavs

Magic

Sixers

Raptors

Pistons

Hawks

Bucks

Celtics over Bucks in 4

Cavs over Hawks in 6

Magic over Pistons in 7

Sixers over Raptors in 7

Celtics over Sixers in 7

Cavs over Magic in 6

Cavs over Celtics in 7

Lakers over Cavs in 6

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 08:29 AM)

They're about where they should be, as they are with just about every other pro athlete.

At his age and skill level he was going to be looking for the bigger role, much more guaranteed money, and longer contract rather than limiting himself to coming off the bench for the chance at a championship for much, much less money.

Anyways, anybody know why Rose is out?

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
They're about where they should be, as they are with just about every other pro athlete.

At his age and skill level he was going to be looking for the bigger role, much more guaranteed money, and longer contract rather than limiting himself to coming off the bench for the chance at a championship for much, much less money.

Anyways, anybody know why Rose is out?

Maggette would have started for the Spurs, and Ginobili off the bench in his 6th man role. Finlay's just about done. That's why I was a little surprised.

Sure his numbers are going to be good, but shouldn't the goal of every athlete be to win a championship? That ain't gonna happen with the Warriors. But for every one of those, there's a Larry Hughes I guess, which shows how selfish some of these guys are.

And Brian, I don't know how the Cavs are a top 2 team at this point. They've added no-one yet, Ilgauskas and Wallace are another year older, and LeBron still needs help. 45 win team at best at this stage.