Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
That's not the ole technique, thats his turn stile technique.

Considering Ben doesn't guard SF's, Luol does unless it's a huge guard (VC), that's a pretty bad picture that does not tell the whole picture. Luol got burned by LeBron, Gordon was just there. And Gordon did not cover Rondo, Derrick Rose did. Again, Gordon is in the picture as he's watching the ball, something taught in grade school.

Oh, and Kobe got crossovered by Beno Udrih, but I guess that makes him a terrible defender as well. SMH.

And as it stands, Ben Gordon is up there as the team's best player. The discussion is only him and Rose which is great because Rose is just a rookie.

SMH at you people. I'm still waiting for someone to post who lit up Ben so far this year.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
Considering Ben doesn't guard SF's, Luol does unless it's a huge guard (VC), that's a pretty bad picture that does not tell the whole picture. Luol got burned by LeBron, Gordon was just there. And Gordon did not cover Rondo, Derrick Rose did. Again, Gordon is in the picture as he's watching the ball, something taught in grade school.

Oh, and Kobe got crossovered by Beno Udrih, but I guess that makes him a terrible defender as well. SMH.

And as it stands, Ben Gordon is up there as the team's best player. The discussion is only him and Rose which is great because Rose is just a rookie.

SMH at you people. I'm still waiting for someone to post who lit up Ben so far this year.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me when Ben Gordon has ever shut anyone down defensively...that's what OUTSTANDING defensive players do.

What is SMH?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 05:21 PM)
I'm still waiting for you to tell me when Ben Gordon has ever shut anyone down defensively...that's what OUTSTANDING defensive players do.

What is SMH?

SMH is shake my head. Double SMH at you.

Joe Johnson, 4-16 for 17 points. Ben guarded him all game long. Now again, show me someone who went off on Ben. Here, I'll save you some time, NO ONE!

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
SMH is shake my head. Double SMH at you.

Joe Johnson, 4-16 for 17 points. Ben guarded him all game long. Now again, show me someone who went off on Ben. Here, I'll save you some time, NO ONE!

Gordon also had 4 fouls and sent him to the line 11 times. Johnson had a bad shooting night, I watched that game. Gordon has never shut anyone down defensively. Ever.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
Gordon also had 4 fouls and sent him to the line 11 times. Johnson had a bad shooting night, I watched that game. Gordon has never shut anyone down defensively. Ever.

:lolhitting

See, now you are just pulling any strings. Great defense means you don't allow for your man to score. Gordon's defense on him was excellent, especially in the 1st half where he just stifled him at which Johnson admitted to. So, no don't give me that crap that it doesn't count as a good defensive game for Gordon when players and coaches have commented on how good his defense has become.

I'd love to see your analysis on Rose's defense. Wait, no I wouldn't because you clearly do not have a better view of how excellent defense is played than coaches and players.

And Gordon sent him to the line 11 times but only fouled 4 times and that's if all the fouls have been on Gordon onto Johnson and a couple of those being 3 point attempts. I admit, I have not checked as of yet to see who Gordon fouled, but I find that extremely unlikely.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
:lolhitting

See, now you are just pulling any strings. Great defense means you don't allow for your man to score. Gordon's defense on him was excellent, especially in the 1st half where he just stifled him at which Johnson admitted to. So, no don't give me that crap that it doesn't count as a good defensive game for Gordon when players and coaches have commented on how good his defense has become.

I'd love to see your analysis on Rose's defense. Wait, no I wouldn't because you clearly do not have a better view of how excellent defense is played than coaches and players.

Rose's defense has been pretty bad overall, no one is going to argue that. He's been worse than Gordon, but Rose is also a 19 year old rookie. If good defense means you don't allow your man to score, than how is allowing Joe Johnson 17 points playing good defense?

Either way, isn't there some thread on RealGM you should be tending to? I've heard it all now...I'm stupid because I don't think Gordon plays outstanding defense. I can't wait to see Iverson and/or Stuckey get to the rack at will. Better yet, how many open jumpers will they get when Gordon gets caught behind a screen set by Rasheed Wallace or Amir Johnson.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 06:38 PM)
Leave ROSE outta this...

No, he snubbed DePaul and the Illini for Memphis. :lolhitting

I actually like Rose. Would've preferred OJ, but Rose is pretty darn nice.

On another note, anyone hate the Bulls wearing the black socks and shoes? That's supposed to be playoff tradition. We might as well allow headbands again.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
No, he snubbed DePaul and the Illini for Memphis. :lolhitting

I actually like Rose. Would've preferred OJ, but Rose is pretty darn nice.

On another note, anyone hate the Bulls wearing the black socks and shoes? That's supposed to be playoff tradition. We might as well allow headbands again.

I'm a strict traditionalist, so yeah.

I totally forgot Iverson plays for Detroit now, I feel kinda dumb.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
And play excellent defense. Mayo is an all-star caliber defender. If you don't believe that, you have problems.

I think it's fairly obvious who here has the problems. Gotta love that 21 points/48 he's allowing and the 16.2 PER. All-Star caliber defender.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
PER IS NOT THE END ALL BE ALL LULZ!

And I said the defensive part in jest actually.

Just using the stats you thought made Gordon an outstanding defender. He's looking great tonight, isn't he?

Eh, Mayo can be a decent defender at times, but the effort isn't always there. He didn't exactly put up a lot of resistence against Kobe their last game and Gordon lit him up the last time they played. The stats Slav posted would tell you he's been pretty average.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
And play excellent defense. Mayo is an all-star caliber defender. If you don't believe that, you have problems.

I don't know if he's an all-star calibur defender yet, but he's certainly noticeably above average, especially for a rookie, and will only get better. That year at USC did him well, say what you will about Tim Floyd but he is a good teacher of defense.

Edited by whitesoxfan101