Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

Stuckey annihilated us for 40. Rose, Gordon, and Noc all fouled out, Deng and Tyrus both had 4. Thank God Gordon's magnificent defense saved us. DirecTV went out 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter for me, so this is all I could muster...

1st Quarter

11:19 – Gordon can’t get around screen, switch to Rasheed Wallace for jumper, shot good

7:52 – Gordon allows Stuckey back cut for easy lay-up

5:45 – Gordon goes under screen, wide open jumper for Stuckey, shot good

5:00 – Gordon ole’s Iverson right to the hoop, no bucket, foul by Rose, 2 FT

2nd Quarter

2:29 – Gordon fouls Stuckey with an ole on breakaway for the and-1

3rd Quarter

2:15 – Gordon goes under screen, turns back, allows open jumper to Stuckey

And a note at the end...never did he do anything to help Rose while he was in foul trouble, not only that, but he fouled out himself, and had 6 turnovers. What a stud.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense on this team as a whole is just a joke. Usually, the guards are hidden to a degree by the fact that the Bulls get killed inside (Drew Gooden might be the worst interior defender in the NBA when he's not injured), but tonight Rodney Stuckey got his chance and showed that the backcourt of this team really can't guard either. VDN, if nothing else, is a hire I'm already starting to question because he clearly does not hold his team accountable in regards to playing defense, and that is not good. This team doesn't have enough firepower to win 110-105 on a regular basis.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I just posted this over on TB, and I realize its flawed, but for the sake of discussion...

It's apparent that the Bulls need to overhaul this roster. It's one of, if not the, worst constructed teams in the NBA. So, we should probably evaluate what some of the trade options are for the team. Here are some of the names that have been rumored to be on the move...

Stephen Jackson, Golden State

Jermaine O'Neal, Toronto

David Lee, New York

Brad Miller, Sacramento

Chris Kaman, Los Angeles

Anthony Parker, Toronto

Now, as far as big men go, Kaman and Lee are probably the most appealing options because of their age. O'Neal, while he isn't old, is making a LOT of money. I doubt the Knicks move Lee, but it's a possibility. Miller makes the least amount of sense as we aren't really close to competing, and he is something like 33 years old.

Kaman would be great because he's still only 26 years old, and could be our center for a long time as Rose develops further. The problem there is finding a match with the Clippers. They essentially have the better version of everything we could offer, though they very well could be interested in Gooden's expiring 7 million. Gooden and Thabo for Kaman works under the Collective Bargaining Agreement provision and would allow Tyrus to move into the full time starting PF spot.

As far as guards go, I would absolutely LOVE acquiring Stephen Jackson. He's had the image in the past of being a thug and all that, but since going to Golden State, he's really grown into a great offensive player, a fan favorite, and a well liked teammate (Duncan called him the "ultimate teammate") and would really fit the style of offense that we need to be running in Chicago with Rose at the helm. He's versatile as he can run the point, play SG and SF. He is 30, but still has 4 years left on his contract and would dramatically improve the defense from the wing. Not only that, but Rose/Gordon/Jackson could be lethal if run properly.

In a dream world, we could swing Gooden/Thabo for Kaman then swap Deng and another piece for Jackson, giving us...

Rose/Hunter

Gordon/Hughes

Jackson/Nocioni/Simmons

Tyrus/Noah/Ruffin

Kaman/Gray

None of this will probably happen, but I could dream.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 12:36 AM)
The defense on this team as a whole is just a joke. Usually, the guards are hidden to a degree by the fact that the Bulls get killed inside (Drew Gooden might be the worst interior defender in the NBA when he's not injured), but tonight Rodney Stuckey got his chance and showed that the backcourt of this team really can't guard either. VDN, if nothing else, is a hire I'm already starting to question because he clearly does not hold his team accountable in regards to playing defense, and that is not good. This team doesn't have enough firepower to win 110-105 on a regular basis.

Right now I think the VDN hire has also been a bit of a disaster, and he'll really need to improve over the next season and a half. I think there were better candidates out there for sure.

The Bulls need to pull the trigger on a Gooden and Sefolosha for Brad Miller ASAP.

I can't see Dunleavy doing Thabo and Gooden for Kaman either. For Brad Miller maybe, but Kaman has more value than that.

Parker's a good candidate to target, because he's on the outs, and he's a quality defensive SG. Problem is, the Bulls already have too many SG's as it is.

Lee if he's dealt, is probably going to go to Denver for Linus Kleiza and a 1st.

I'd like for the Magic to target either Wilcox or Joe Smith from the Thunder for a 2nd rounder. Would deepend our bench, and give us another big, which we SORELY need.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
Magic lead 61-31 at halftime in Orlando against the Hornets. DBAHO is having a good time watching this somewhere in Jersey.

Yep made for some good watching indeed.

Dwight's 2 putback dunks in the 2nd quarter were just silly.

Hopefully we're started to be taken a little bit more seriously at contenders now.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Yep made for some good watching indeed.

Dwight's 2 putback dunks in the 2nd quarter were just silly.

Hopefully we're started to be taken a little bit more seriously at contenders now.

I think everybody knows Orlando is clearly the 3rd best team in the East right now, which is respect enough because the East is the better conference thusfar this season. The problem is Boston and Cleveland (especially Boston) are put on a different level than everybody else, including even Orlando.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
I think everybody knows Orlando is clearly the 3rd best team in the East right now, which is respect enough because the East is the better conference thusfar this season. The problem is Boston and Cleveland (especially Boston) are put on a different level than everybody else, including even Orlando.

I think the difference between those teams is that they have guys that can finish out games. Orlando really has no one that you know, each time out can impose their will for key baskets. They don't have a Pierce, a Kobe, a LeBron who you want to give the ball to each time out to make something happen. LeBron at least will get you a good look, though he won't take it himself unless it's a wide open layup. That's why, to me at least, Boston is the class of the East and everyone else is a pretender. LeBron's team is not as good as they are playing right now and I have a feeling they will be exposed once again. The teams that matter IMO are the Celtics, Lakers, Rockets(if healthy) and the Magic if Dwight develops even further.

If the Magic had a legit stud (or even just a really good player) in the backcourt or on the wing, I think they would be the best team in the East. They are that close, but without that, I can't see them beating Boston or Cleveland in a 7 game series.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)
If the Magic had a legit stud (or even just a really good player) in the backcourt or on the wing, I think they would be the best team in the East. They are that close, but without that, I can't see them beating Boston or Cleveland in a 7 game series.

I think Zoom said it best when he essentially characterized Orlando as the Bulls + Dwight Howard.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
I think Zoom said it best when he essentially characterized Orlando as the Bulls + Dwight Howard.

I don't agree with that for one reason. If you just gave the Magic Derrick Rose, they would have a legit shot against Boston and Cleveland, something they don't have now in the postseason IMO.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)
I don't agree with that for one reason. If you just gave the Magic Derrick Rose, they would have a legit shot against Boston and Cleveland, something they don't have now in the postseason IMO.

Well, obviously they're different teams in the literal sense, but outside of Dwight, they, like the Bulls, are just a jump shooting team with no real big man presence which regularly plays a small lineup. My God, Rose/Pietrus/Lewis/Hedo/Howard would be incredible...

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 12:59 AM)
Well, obviously they're different teams in the literal sense, but outside of Dwight, they, like the Bulls, are just a jump shooting team with no real big man presence which regularly plays a small lineup. My God, Rose/Pietrus/Lewis/Hedo/Howard would be incredible...

I was thinking more in the lines of a Chris Paul. Rose may be great in the future and he shows signs, but he's not there.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
I think the difference between those teams is that they have guys that can finish out games. Orlando really has no one that you know, each time out can impose their will for key baskets. They don't have a Pierce, a Kobe, a LeBron who you want to give the ball to each time out to make something happen. LeBron at least will get you a good look, though he won't take it himself unless it's a wide open layup. That's why, to me at least, Boston is the class of the East and everyone else is a pretender. LeBron's team is not as good as they are playing right now and I have a feeling they will be exposed once again. The teams that matter IMO are the Celtics, Lakers, Rockets(if healthy) and the Magic if Dwight develops even further.

Actually I'd disagree with that. Hedo Turkoglu was one of the best clutch players in the league last season, and he's usually the guy down the stretch who we look for, because Dwight's not good enough at the line.

I think we match up well with the Cavs and Celts at the PG (Nelson is a wash with Rondo and Williams IMO), and have the edge in the frontcourt.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
Actually I'd disagree with that. Hedo Turkoglu was one of the best clutch players in the league last season, and he's usually the guy down the stretch who we look for, because Dwight's not good enough at the line.

I think we match up well with the Cavs and Celts at the PG (Nelson is a wash with Rondo and Williams IMO), and have the edge in the frontcourt.

Turkoglu did it for one season. What they need is a Chris Paul type(preferably from last year) or a Tony Parker where he will constantely get to the lane and create for someone else and if not, take a shot for himself. In other words, they need someone who can create. Turkoglu is a nice underrated player, but he isn't that guy.