Mother Nature vs. State of Iowa

Heads22

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of the morons and tried to chase this storm. I have never seen a tornado and want to. I'm from Mason City, and traveled about 30 miles southeast to a town called Marble Rock, and decided to turn around there, because it looked really bad. The tornado started by Marble Rock and I don't know if it was the same tornado that hit Parkersburg, I would guess not because Parkersburg is at least 25 miles away from Marble Rock, but I could be wrong. Anyways 5 people were killed in Parkersburg, 2 people in New Hartford, and at least 50 injured. The whole southern part of Parkersburg was leveled including the high school. The school district of Applington-Parkersburg has produded 4 or 5 NFL linemen, which is interesting. But my prayers go out to them, what a crazy evening.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 25, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
I was one of the morons and tried to chase this storm. I have never seen a tornado and want to. I'm from Mason City, and traveled about 30 miles southeast to a town called Marble Rock, and decided to turn around there, because it looked really bad. The tornado started by Marble Rock and I don't know if it was the same tornado that hit Parkersburg, I would guess not because Parkersburg is at least 25 miles away from Marble Rock, but I could be wrong. Anyways 5 people were killed in Parkersburg, 2 people in New Hartford, and at least 50 injured. The whole southern part of Parkersburg was leveled including the high school. The school district of Applington-Parkersburg has produded 4 or 5 NFL linemen, which is interesting. But my prayers go out to them, what a crazy evening.

Yeah, you probably couldn't see anything coming from the north, as everything was on the south side.

Gage probably thought I was dead for a while, not responding to his texts.

Last year was the freakiest weather we had at home, but I was asleep before the tree fell on to our house.

Today was maybe the fifth time ever we went to the basement.

We don't go to the basement during a tornado warning or during the sirens if its still light out. My parents both lived through an F5, so they know what they are doing. Today we went down there.

This is Parkersburg:

http://GOimg.sv.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dl...10&Maxw=500

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:23 AM)
Gage probably thought I was dead for a while, not responding to his texts.

Last year was the freakiest weather we had at home, but I was asleep before the tree fell on to our house.

Today was maybe the fifth time ever we went to the basement.

We don't go to the basement during a tornado warning or during the sirens if its still light out. My parents both lived through an F5, so they know what they are doing. Today we went down there.

This is Parkersburg:

http://GOimg.sv.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dl...10&Maxw=500

Wow. How far from Parkersburg are you?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 26, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
What Wite said.

The same tornado hit Hazleton though, which is 2 miles south of me.

Do you know how far the tornado traveled? It had to have been a long distance. I've been listening to some of the elders around here talk about the Charles City tornadoes, in which the 40th anniversary just occured. They had over 10 deaths and there were actually 3 tornadoes in town at the same time.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 26, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
Do you know how far the tornado traveled? It had to have been a long distance. I've been listening to some of the elders around here talk about the Charles City tornadoes, in which the 40th anniversary just occured. They had over 10 deaths and there were actually 3 tornadoes in town at the same time.

It ended near Dundee, I think. It hit Fairbank and Hazleton as well.

May 15 1968.

Charles City was hit by an F5 tornado.

Oelwein and Maynard hit by another F5 tornado.

Both were twin twisters, I believe. I think I remember hearing the second one in Oelwein was an F1.

I rode RAGBRAI last year, which took a northern route and went through some of those towns that were in the damage path. I recall one town along the route (and I think near where this twister was), the name of which escapes me, that had been hit by a catastrophic tornado in the 70's, then again in the 90's, and again just a few years ago. As you come into town, it's sign prould proclaims itself the town that won't die. Its full of tree stumps and trees that look like they should be really big but are cut off at about 8 feet (or less). The town sign also apoligized to riders for not having any shade for them, as they had no trees left. Anyone know the name of the town?