Mother Nature vs. State of Iowa

Heads22

1 - 3 more inches coming this morning. Another storm predicted for tomorrow. It is looking like downtown Des Moines may get flooded soon with all of this extra rain. They blocked off a couple of bridges over the river this morning.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cedar Rapids is now evacuating the 500-year flood plain.

The ONLY way to get thru CR is on I-380. On WMT, they compared the traffic to the Dan Ryan.

Also, eastern Iowa is forecast to get 1-5 inches of rain tonight.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)
Cedar Rapids is the 2nd biggest city in Iowa, roughly the size of Naperville, for comparison's sake for those of you near Chicago.

This has never EVER been seen.

With my wife being from Iowa City, I've got to know the area fairly well. I-380 = Dan Ryan was all I needed to hear.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 05:41 PM)
With my wife being from Iowa City, I've got to know the area fairly well. I-380 = Dan Ryan was all I needed to hear.

Iowa City is next.

The U of I is expected to have substantial flood damage.

Current level: 26.23

Record: 28.5

Forecast 30.5 (Next Wednesday)

29.0 Serious flood damage occurs at the University of Iowa campus.

27.0 Flood protection becomes necessary at the University of Iowa. Water affects several industrial businesses and warehouses along Commercial Drive.

26.0 Water floods county road bridge approaches along the river and affects streets and parking lots along Commercial Drive.

25.0 Flooding occurs in Coralville. Water inundates the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Rail line near Coralville.

23.5 Water affects the north Wastewater Treatment Plant. Considerable flooding occurs at the University of Iowa.

23.0 Water floods Hancher Auditorium at the University of Iowa. Flooding problems occur elsewhere on the University of Iowa campus.

22.0 Urban flood damage occurs in Iowa City. Water enters homes along Edgewater Drive.

21.0 Flooding occurs in homes near Taft Speedway in Iowa City. Homes on east side of Quarry Road in Coralville require protection. Edgewater Drive becomes impassable.

20.5 Water affects the north Wastewater Treatment Plant.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
Iowa City is next.

The U of I is expected to have substantial flood damage.

Current level: 26.23

Record: 28.5

Forecast 30.5 (Next Wednesday)

29.0 Serious flood damage occurs at the University of Iowa campus.

27.0 Flood protection becomes necessary at the University of Iowa. Water affects several industrial businesses and warehouses along Commercial Drive.

26.0 Water floods county road bridge approaches along the river and affects streets and parking lots along Commercial Drive.

25.0 Flooding occurs in Coralville. Water inundates the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Rail line near Coralville.

23.5 Water affects the north Wastewater Treatment Plant. Considerable flooding occurs at the University of Iowa.

23.0 Water floods Hancher Auditorium at the University of Iowa. Flooding problems occur elsewhere on the University of Iowa campus.

22.0 Urban flood damage occurs in Iowa City. Water enters homes along Edgewater Drive.

21.0 Flooding occurs in homes near Taft Speedway in Iowa City. Homes on east side of Quarry Road in Coralville require protection. Edgewater Drive becomes impassable.

20.5 Water affects the north Wastewater Treatment Plant.

oh $h!t!

Better yet, here's our forecast thru Sunday.

Keep in mind, we've gotten rain the last two days when we were forecasted to have sun.

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Low around 67. South wind between 16 and 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Thursday: Showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. High near 77. West wind between 8 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Thursday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. South wind around 8 mph. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Friday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76. Southwest wind between 7 and 11 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. West wind between 8 and 11 mph.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79.

Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58.

Sunday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)
What I want to know is how does this weather affect ME? Otherwise I've lost all interest.

Corn prices will likely go up quite a bit, rising the cost of anything with corn (such as cereal) or corn syrup (pop, stuff like that).

That and Quaker Oats is right on the river.

So actually, all this will probably affect you with higher food prices. :)

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 04:29 AM)
1.62 inches of rain since 1 AM, and its raining again here....

dear god, really? damn i wish i weren't here in chicago right now. all my friends' facebook statuses are like "just got done sandbagging" etc etc. and i wish i could help out. i hate being useless. ugh.

Just got this from my mother-in-law...

They just closed Coralville 1st Avenue today --- and usually, water collects at the intersection of Hwy 6 and 1st Avenue (that’s the one you come off on the interstate past McDonalds)......its awful and we are getting heavy heavy rains!!!!!

Did you hear about the boy scout camp in Council Bluffs?? 4 scouts dead, 4 head injury critical condition, 36 others injured........

UMW is going to bake cookies for bag lunches for sandbaggers — 13 doz Fri, Sun, Tues and Thurs and go from there!!!!! Its amazing and scary........

Love ya

Mom

Another E-Mail...

380 will be ok until the reservoir reaches 714 ft and it is over 712 now........scary!! We just got notice that St Lukes and Mercy in CR are without power and will most likely be evacuating all patients to Iowa City hospitals.......now, that is a reason for prayer...can you imagine!!! Here is the email: T”his message is sent on behalf of Interim COO Eric Dickson, MD.

"
S
t. Lu
k
e
s
and Mercy Ho
s
pital in Cedar Rapid
s
have lo
s
t power and
s
team related to the flood and they may need to evacuate both ho
s
pital
s
. We have activated our Ho
s
pital Emergency Incident Command
S
y
s
tem (HEIC
S
) in anticipation of po
s
s
ible evacuation of the Cedar Rapid
s
ho
s
pital
s

In order to create capacity in our ho
s
pital for tran
s
fer
s
we mu
s
t all pull together by getting all of today
s
di
s
charge
s
out of the ho
s
pital a
s
s
oon a
s
po
s
s
ible.

I just heard about I-80 --- but they closed the road over the river at Rochester on Tuesday so it doesn’t surprise me.

Rochester United Methodist Church is sandbagging and praying it does not come up that far as they intend to use the church as their evacuation location. We have offered Springdale as an alternate for their stuff or people......

Our UMW is going to be sending cookies to the Salvation Army for bag lunches for workers --- (Your Aunt) said it was hard to find someone to talk to about doing something other than sandbagging but they are (were yesterday anyway) serving over 400 people bag lunches each day (sandbaggers, public service, etc) ---- so if there were a number to call I am sure they would accept anything (money to purchase, etc) ---- I don’t know what people can do from where you are (I don’t know what I can do if I don’t physically sand bag or soemthign) ---

it is tough to sit back and watch it happen. IF they close the bridges to the west side of campus I will have to go 80 to 380 to Melrose to get to work — that would be a nightmare!!!!!!! This morning they closed Iowa Avenue from Madison to Riverside Drive (water under the railroad overpass) - I drove through it (probably 2 feet at 7:30 this morning) --- will have to find an alternate route home!! Its really getting nasty.......

But, we are safe at our location – we are far enough from the river and high enough --- but Iowa City / Coralville may soon be cut off ---- hard to say ---- am wondering how we will get around the I-80 thing to get to Chicago this weekend ----- will have to go through Tipton to Walcot or something ---- weird!!!!! And very scary....... Makes me very thankful today that we live where we live ---- Aunt Louise has water right up to the top of that big hill by her house — she may have to evacuate!!!

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

An ISU message board.

— There is some thought, too, this afternoon that the river has already hit the predicted crest of 24.7 feet. Some areas are flooded beyond the so-called 500-year flood plain of 26.5 feet. But that may be partly from flash flooding from today's rain.

I380 is actually open with one lane in each direction.

I hope the people of New Orleans take note that levees actually fail sometimes, it's not a government act against poor communities.

Now that I got that political thought that has no business being here out of the way, I say that I'm praying for you guys in Iowa. This is out of control, it's like a plague of rain or something.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Forecast for Iowa city bumped up 2.5 feet to 33 feet, 11 feet above flood stage. That'd also be more than 20 feet above normal. Add in the 7+ inches of rain last night in south central Minnesota and north central Iowa, and I'd expect the forecasts to keep going up.

That and CR is expected to get another 1-4 inches of rain tonight.

A possibility of up to 6 inches tonight in parts of eastern Iowa.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
KCRG is reporting that Iowa City could crest at 38 feet, 16 feet above flood stage and 11.5 feet above the 1993 record.

Holy Christ.

1993 was horrific. These levels blow that flood away. That's incredible.

Some towns will not survive this.

The financial toll will be monstrous.