Mother Nature vs. State of Iowa

Heads22

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I DONT want to make this political, btu this isnt very good press in a key swing state...

McCain opposed flood control money for Des Moines in 2007

Republican presidential candidate John McCain opposed legislation last year that included money for flood control in Des Moines, which shows he is wrong to push for reforms to the congressional earmark system, a Democratic lawmaker charged Thursday.

State Sen. Jack Hatch of Des Moines said the earmarked money was needed to relieve water problems on the city's north side, which were magnified over the weekend when a levee break forced an evacuation of the Birdland area and ruined several dozen homes and businesses.

McCain aides said the Arizona senator opposed the $23 billion bill because it was bloated with pork and did not set priorities. The aides said McCain does not oppose particular projects, such as the Des Moines improvements, but rather the inside-player process through which the money is doled out.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
I DONT want to make this political, btu this isnt very good press in a key swing state...

Then why the f*** did you post it?

*sigh*

You do know that ALL politicians are scum, right? I bet Barack has voted against some things that he shouldn't have from time to time, surely, right?

It gets old.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
Because it is news directly related to the flood and I'd have posted it if it were Obama or Clinton or anyone else. It's NEWS.

ok. Somehow, I doubt that.

But, I'll just leave it alone.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)

I haven't been impressed with either candidate being from Iowa. As far as I know, I haven't heard either candidate say anything or visit Iowa. I didn't expect McCain to visit since he seemed to blow off Iowa in 2000 and 2008, but I thought Obama would've come with all the campaigning he had in Iowa. Plus Iowa voted for him.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
I haven't been impressed with either candidate being from Iowa. As far as I know, I haven't heard either candidate say anything or visit Iowa. I didn't expect McCain to visit since he seemed to blow off Iowa in 2000 and 2008, but I thought Obama would've come with all the campaigning he had in Iowa. Plus Iowa voted for him.

He actually went to Quincy Illinois. Maybe he DID listen to the gov. and stay out of the state.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Do prisoners in Iowa REALLY wear these outfits??? I thought they were dressed up for Halloween!

Ha! That's from Vinton, IA. Veeeery small town just northwest-ish of Cedar Rapids. They're just a few years behind the times, but I love that place. Lots of cool little mom & pop shops.

Edited by shaneomacfan

Do prisoners in Iowa REALLY wear these outfits??? I thought they were dressed up for Halloween!

There was an e-mail floating around friday with that picture.

This first picture is of the Iowa State Cyclone football team helping out after the Parkersburg tornado

TQUQOTUTSJWATKD.20080603205914.jpg

This second picture is the University of Iowa Hawkeye football team helping out with the recent flooding in Cedar Rapids

(insert your attachment.)

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)

Well, I'm trying not to dump too much politics in this thread this time, but according to news reports yesterday, there's actually a reason why the candidates didn't slam through Iowa on the flooded areas...The state of Iowa asked them not to come, because their resources were tied up trying to deal with the flooding. Here's an article from yesterday where some of the governor's aides complained to the Press about how they asked the McCain camp to stay away for a few more days and the Senator visited anyway. Senator Obama did visit and do some sandbagging work in Quincy, IL, for an hour or so just over a week ago, and today went after Senator McCain for his vote against a budget omnibus bill that included money for things like infrastructure/levee repair.

So on CNN, they are essentially trying to paint the residents of Iowa as dumb for not having flood insurance, and I'm guessing they're talking about the residents of CR.

There's no reason for those people in the 500 year flood plain to have flood insurance for something that has a .2% chance of happening in any given year. I think any Iowans would agree with me that there's a much better chance of having your home f***ed up by a severe thunderstorm in any given year.

To say that these people were unprepared because they didn't have flood insurance in the flood plains in Cedar Rapids, especially those outside the 100 year plain, is simply ludicrous.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)
So on CNN, they are essentially trying to paint the residents of Iowa as dumb for not having flood insurance, and I'm guessing they're talking about the residents of CR.

There's no reason for those people in the 500 year flood plain to have flood insurance for something that has a .2% chance of happening in any given year. I think any Iowans would agree with me that there's a much better chance of having your home f***ed up by a severe thunderstorm in any given year.

To say that these people were unprepared because they didn't have flood insurance in the flood plains in Cedar Rapids, especially those outside the 100 year plain, is simply ludicrous.

And yet they didn't slam the residents who were living BELOW SEA LEVEL for say, actually living below sea level after Katrina, now did they. I understand why the candidates are not there. But, when do the Hollywood telethons start for Iowa relief? Where is Sean penn and his little boat? When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines? Where are all the 24/7 lurid news tales of cannibalism and unnecessary drownings? Why are the Iowans not complaining more and demanding to be saved? Where are all the pics of looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets? When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a “vanilla” Iowa, because that’s the way God wants it? Just askin'.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
And yet they didn't slam the residents who were living BELOW SEA LEVEL for say, actually living below sea level after Katrina, now did they. I understand why the candidates are not there. But, when do the Hollywood telethons start for Iowa relief? Where is Sean penn and his little boat? When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines? Where are all the 24/7 lurid news tales of cannibalism and unnecessary drownings? Why are the Iowans not complaining more and demanding to be saved? Where are all the pics of looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets? When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a “vanilla” Iowa, because that’s the way God wants it? Just askin'.

Culver is more of a Neapolitan man.

The only thing I've seen on a nationwide scale were former Parkersburg football players doing stuff with the NFL, such as AP-NFL hats.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 06:24 PM)
And yet they didn't slam the residents who were living BELOW SEA LEVEL for say, actually living below sea level after Katrina, now did they

Actually, I could have swore I read a ton of people saying that the residents shouldn't have been living there, they should have known better, the city should be dismantled, etc.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)

so rarely do i say this but:

i agree with you.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a “vanilla” Iowa, because that’s the way God wants it? Just askin'.

:lolhitting

I'll be adding to that vanilla next year :)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
Actually, I could have swore I read a ton of people saying that the residents shouldn't have been living there, they should have known better, the city should be dismantled, etc.

You heard some columnists and a lot of people on talk radio, but you didn't hear CNN call them stupid for living below sea level and not being prepared for being under water.

Obviously this has hit the Scouting community hard with four Scouts killed. There was also a lot of great coverage of Scouts helping. I have a group from Ames here this week, ironic they are out surfing.