Bulls do not hire Doug Collins as head coach

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 29, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
I did not see that coming.

So the plan is for Rose to become a star in 2 or 3 years, and fire Collins then?

i do wonder if in talking to collins they discussed a "succession" plan of some sort. from reading a few stories, collins was one of the first people that paxson contacted, but he wasn't interested at the time. supposedly them getting the top pick piqued his interest, so here we are. if collins was wavering, maybe he isn't in it for the long haul, so to speak.

i can definitely see one of the assistant's paxson interviewed for the head coaching job coming on staff with the idea that he'd take over in a few years.

either way, i am happy they are not going with an unproven coach. i'm not sure they could do that considering how the team reacted to an unproven coach last year.

Yeah it comes down to who will be the young assistant they hire to take over has Head Coach. It wont be Bostons Thibodeau but its a good signing a guy we can trust to make a good pick and make the right cuts to clean up the team

QUOTE (JFields27 @ May 29, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
Yeah it comes down to who will be the young assistant they hire to take over has Head Coach. It wont be Bostons Thibodeau but its a good signing a guy we can trust to make a good pick and make the right cuts to clean up the team

Paxson's said that the coach will have almost no impact on the pick, and while that might be just posturing in some cases, considering where the Bulls are at, I believe him.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 29, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
Interesting. The more I think about it the more I like it. Track record is there.

Glad we didn't hire a guy for their first head coaching gig.

Actually, I'm kind of disappointed we didn't hire a guy for his first head coaching gig, but I will add my voice to the chorus of people hoping Pax brings in an assistant who qualifies as the "coach in training" for when Collins steps out.

Probably not a bad choice to deal with the young guys we've got, but I'd probably think of him as sort of a transitional, teach the kids guy, and not as the guy we'll need to make the last step.

Most everyone was shocked when Collins was fired in 1989. There were all kinds of outrageous rumors which obviously weren't true or he wouldn't be back. He'll piss some of the players off, but so what. He'll at least have them in the right direction when he goes. Think of it, the Bulls, the Pistons, even Washington became a lot better. He also was responsible for Horace Grant being a Bull. Krause wanted Joe Wolf.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 29, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
Paxson's said that the coach will have almost no impact on the pick, and while that might be just posturing in some cases, considering where the Bulls are at, I believe him.

when i said "good signing" i was referring to Collins

QUOTE (JFields27 @ May 29, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
when i said "good signing" i was referring to Collins

I know, I meant where you said he is "a guy we can trust to make a good pick". I assumed you meant the draft pick, and I don't think he'll have much input on that. If you meant something else, my bad. (But in that case, I'm still not sure what kind of a "pick" you meant.)

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 29, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
I know, I meant where you said he is "a guy we can trust to make a good pick". I assumed you meant the draft pick, and I don't think he'll have much input on that. If you meant something else, my bad. (But in that case, I'm still not sure what kind of a "pick" you meant.)

I was just saying how I would trust Collins a lot more with the decision of Rose or Beasely over a young guy, I am sure he could make the pick but he would get a lot of pressure. This way people arent going to question Collins as much, and I think he'll make the right pick, hopefully Rose.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
Hornacek could be that young assistant. Not sure if he would want to leave Utah for another assistant job, but he would look nice as a coach.

It's unlikely that Hornacek would leave his job with Utah for anything other than an assistant coaching job with the Suns. He lives in the Phoenix area and has expressed interest in a job on the Suns staff.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 29, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
I did not see that coming.

So the plan is for Rose to become a star in 2 or 3 years, and fire Collins then?

and bring back Phil, run the triangle and win 6 championships in 8 years. ;)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (JFields27 @ May 29, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
I was just saying how I would trust Collins a lot more with the decision of Rose or Beasely over a young guy, I am sure he could make the pick but he would get a lot of pressure. This way people arent going to question Collins as much, and I think he'll make the right pick, hopefully Rose.

But what I'm saying is, Collins is not making the pick. Paxson said it would be his (Paxson's) choice, and that the coach he hires would not have any influence over the pick. (Which makes sense -- with a team that's in the middle of a big transition, you have no idea who the coach'll be in a few years, so you don't want to take a guy who just fits some system better, you want the best player, period.)

Interesting choice.

I think Thibodeau would have ended up being the better choice. My guess is he maybe goes to Phoenix now, unless they give the job to Tyrone Corbin the Utah assistant coach.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 29, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
and bring back Phil, run the triangle and win 6 championships in 8 years. ;)

Hmm... Maybe not Phil, but someone like Phil. Paxson needs to find the next assistant coach who despises Red Auerbach. And I'm afraid the years ahead may be lean ones. I really can't guarantee any more than 4 championships.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know this is a strange view, but, dammit, I'm just trying to be realistic here. Dwayne Wade isn't getting any younger...

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ May 29, 2008 -> 12:21 PM)
Interesting choice.

I think Thibodeau would have ended up being the better choice. My guess is he maybe goes to Phoenix now, unless they give the job to Tyrone Corbin the Utah assistant coach.

I think Phoenix really wants one of the Spurs' assistant - Mike Budenholzer. http://www.nba.com/suns/news/coaching_080516.html?rss=true