White Sox @ Rays 6:10pm CSNHD

WSoxMatt

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ May 31, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
yepper. and did anybody the entire game do anything but try to pull the ball? exciting games. but we should be in the middle of a 15 game winning streak.

According to KW, this would now be the 11th game we lost this year due to the terrible offense. Why not shake things up again and bat Thome 2nd? At least he sees enough pitches.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
At least we get to see Toby, probably Anderson, and Ozuna tomorrow. On the bright side, Ramirez looked fantastic tonight.

Anderson? Ha, yeah right. I'll bet you have a better chance of seeing Wise starting.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 31, 2008 -> 02:08 AM)
Wise is a lefty, isn't he?

Yep, and give him credit for a great effort on the Floyd homer. I still can't believe we let Floyd bat though, and then threw him fastballs.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2008 -> 06:07 PM)
Against Kazmir, I think we'll see Anderson.

Honestly, I don't think we'll see any changes except perhaps Uribe in the lineup and Hall starting. Especially if Wise has now moved in to the #1 OF off the bench role, as he was used tonight, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Anderson sent down so that Ozzie gets a left handed bat on the bench.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
1. Sox lost

2. Cubs won

So yes, so far this season, in the fashion both outcomes happened, it was the worst day of the season so far as a fan. Thanks for your concerns. Not a single post in the game thread tonight, and then this?

I agree, today was tough. Sick of seeing our anemic offense ruining great pitching. Compound that with the Cubs just piling on runs with ease. Its annoying.

At least the Yankees took the lead.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2008 -> 02:11 AM)
Honestly, I don't think we'll see any changes except perhaps Uribe in the lineup and Hall starting. Especially if Wise has now moved in to the #1 OF off the bench role, as he was used tonight, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Anderson sent down so that Ozzie gets a left handed bat on the bench.

Ozzie better not even think about letting Thome face Kazmir tomorrow. Thome's 0-10 in his career vs Kazmir.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
Considering those #'s are in AAA...no it's not.

He struggled at the start of last year in AAA as well, then got hot and hit .283. He crushed lefty pitching when he came up and his power numbers increased. Its almost June and we have people that have been in a year long funk. You can't keep trotting them out there and pray that they get better. At some point you need to make changes.

who cares about Field's AAA numbers. We saw what he can do last year.

Yes that's true. He did some very good things and also struck out a ton.

If there's a change, it needs to come from outside. The team needs more guys who can work counts, put the ball in play, etc. Nothing against Fields but a guy who strikes out a whole bunch is not what's needed.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 31, 2008 -> 03:31 AM)
who cares about Field's AAA numbers. We saw what he can do last year.

Fields getting called up would only be helpful if Ozzie manages to win instead of catering to his veterans (can't blame him, as most managers do this). How many times must Thome fail against lefties late in the game before we start to ph for him?

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 31, 2008 -> 03:34 AM)
Yes that's true. He did some very good things and also struck out a ton.

If there's a change, it needs to come from outside. The team needs more guys who can work counts, put the ball in play, etc. Nothing against Fields but a guy who strikes out a whole bunch is not what's needed.

The problem is, where would this addition play? Ramirez is playing very well at 2nd base right now. OC is fine at SS. CF is the big spot, but I can't see us shaking things up that much right now.

Thome, Konerko and Swisher ... oh my.

Horrible seasons for the big three.

So tough to waste a two-run outing by the pitching staff on the road.

Man we can't muster a win out of that!

Life sucks when the Sox lose.

The problem is, where would this addition play? Ramirez is playing very well at 2nd base right now. OC is fine at SS. CF is the big spot, but I can't see us shaking things up that much right now.

It's simple, somebody would have to go to make room. Let's face it, they are valuing defense at 2B and that's why Uribe has been in there until he got hurt. Now you have Ramirez playing well so maybe they stick with him. The question that needs to be answered by Sox brass is at what point do you value some extra offense over defense? If you're at that point, you swap out Uribe and bring in another all purpose player who hits for contact. Problem is, I don't think they will dump Uribe, if one of your middle infielders or even Crede gets hurt he can step in. They value his defense, perhaps over value it, but that's their mindset.

My guess is, for now, they stick with what they have. You can pinch hit Ozuna for Thome in late situations but frankly I don't see that happening.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 31, 2008 -> 03:48 AM)
It's simple, somebody would have to go to make room. Let's face it, they are valuing defense at 2B and that's why Uribe has been in there until he got hurt. Now you have Ramirez playing well so maybe they stick with him. The question that needs to be answered by Sox brass is at what point do you value some extra offense over defense? If you're at that point, you swap out Uribe and bring in another all purpose player who hits for contact. Problem is, I don't think they will dump Uribe, if one of your middle infielders or even Crede gets hurt he can step in. They value his defense, perhaps over value it, but that's their mindset.

My guess is, for now, they stick with what they have. You can pinch hit Ozuna for Thome in late situations but frankly I don't see that happening.

I really wish we could add a little more speed to the every day lineup, but that's not likely to happen again until this offseason (you have to think we'll go after Furcal). This lineup would be so much better if we could move OC back to the 2 spot, and have a real leadoff hitter at the top.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
I really wish we could add a little more speed to the every day lineup, but that's not likely to happen again until this offseason (you have to think we'll go after Furcal). This lineup would be so much better if we could move OC back to the 2 spot, and have a real leadoff hitter at the top.

I hear Jerry Owens is available.

Seriously, I don't care about speed. Speed can't make 3 of our 4 biggest bats suddenly wake up. The way this lineup is constructed it should be begging for OBP at the top, not speed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2008 -> 03:56 AM)
I hear Jerry Owens is available.

Seriously, I don't care about speed. Speed can't make 3 of our 4 biggest bats suddenly wake up. The way this lineup is constructed it should be begging for OBP at the top, not speed.

I'm not talking about Slappy McSlappy at the top of the order. Maybe athletic would be a better phrase, as it could give Ozzie some more options.

That's the exact point.

Now look out there and tell me who plays 2B (the only position arguable a true offensive hole based on history of performance). There are two. Ray Durham and Ryan Freel. Both would hit better, or are highly likely to hit better than what we have at 2B, even with this surge by Ramirez.

So let's suppose you go out and get one of them, plug them in at 2B and leadoff. What are you giving up on defense, for a team that relies on good pitching no less? Without watching either Durham or Freel play 2B much lately, it is safe to say Uribe and quite possibly Ramirez give you better defense at 2B.

So it comes down to this, are you willing to sacrifice defense for offense to get the leadoff hitter with contact ability and speed? That is the exact question they are mulling. Durham for sure is available, Freel is very likely available.

I'm not talking about Slappy McSlappy at the top of the order. Maybe athletic would be a better phrase, as it could give Ozzie some more options.

Yes. Speed isn't the prereq for a leadoff hitter, it's getting on base, taking pitches, driving the pitcher crazy, etc. Speed is a plus, yes, and if a guy can not only get on but be a threat to steal, so much the better.

Not to mention a guy who can play multiple positions for the Ozzie flexibility factor you mentioned is another plus. That's why I keep coming back to Freel, and frankly I don't care if he likes leprauchans or not. Can he make the team better, I believe he can. The question is do Williams and Guillen agree, because me posting it on a message board means nothing. But that type of player is what they need at the top. Everything starts at the top.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 30, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
Everything starts at the top.

Honestly again...I disagree. I'm not having that big of a problem with the top of our order right now. My problem is with the middle of the order after Dye.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
1. Sox lost

2. Cubs won

So yes, so far this season, in the fashion both outcomes happened, it was the worst day of the season so far as a fan. Thanks for your concerns. Not a single post in the game thread tonight, and then this?

Yeah, work sucks.