Trivia Qs

knightni

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 01:16 AM)
Oh. Milton Bradley... duh.

Kinda funny, through all the Josh Hamilton doesn't do drugs anymore and now he's a superstar and Carlos Quentin is a mangod, it's the crazy mofo who goes off on umpires and hurts himself that is leading the league in OPS.

What's crazier is that, on June 4th, a 1.020 OPS leads the AL. In 2000, 1.020 wouldn't have been in the top 10 in OPS in the MLB. I really do believe 100% that we are about to move into a pitching favored era.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
Whatever happened to the rabbit that came out of the ground to give the pitcher a new ball?

Did that ever exist or did I imagine that as a kid?

Son...

I'm gonna tell you just one time.

Stay off the drugs.

:D

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
Whatever happened to the rabbit that came out of the ground to give the pitcher a new ball?

Did that ever exist or did I imagine that as a kid?

It existed. Except it was for the HP umpire.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
That was Charlie Finley's A's that did that, correct?

Until you said that, I was thinking it was at Comiskey. Now, I'm not sure, as I know the Finley did something similar. That was many years ago.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
That was Charlie Finley's A's that did that, correct?

Poof, I love Google.

Finley was responsible for other dubious innovations, all adopted in an effort to boost attendance for a losing team in a small market. He installed a mechanical rabbit named "Harvey" (after the imaginary rabbit in the Jimmy Stewart movie of the same name) behind home plate to deliver new balls to the ump. You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of major league stadiums that currently feature the rabbit-o-matic ball service--if you're a one-armed man.

He put goats beyond the outfield fence in left field at Kansas City's Memorial Stadium to eat the grass. He adopted a live mule--"Charlie-O"--as a mascot, and once brought it into the press room to annoy reporters after it had recently been fed. In order to keep FoxSports.com free of inappropriate content, I will leave the rest of this incident to your imaginations.

Finley eventually moved the team to Oakland and turned it around, producing three straight World Series from 1972 to 1974. He sold the team in 1981, but his legacy of lunacy lives on in those green and gold uniforms. The team's mascot appears on the sleeves of their jerseys as a green elephant, thereby obscuring a part of baseball history.