Bulls to hire Vinny Del Negro as coach

Thought they may have waited for Thibodeau, but I guess Pax wanted it resolved sooner rather than later.

Interesting hire though. Del Negro's got a fantastic opportunity to coach a winning team though.

Hmmm, Suns assistant General Manager. Interesting position to steal a person from. Sort of still "In the family" since he's therefore under Kerr. No idea what role he played under the D'Antoni regime. Long career as a non-dominant role player, best years in the mid 90's with the spurs. I kinda like, was hoping for some fresh blood from the start...we'll see if this is actually, um, reality.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
So we're looking at a run-and-gun type offense next year then?

You'd have to think if you're hiring a guy that came up from the Suns system the last 5 years, that has to be part of the expectation...but it's interesting that he also is a guy who spent a lot of time with the Spurs in the 90's, and that's sort of your definition of the solid defensive team. 2nd head coach to come out of that roster already, with Johnson being the first, and we've all heard him praised for bringing more of a defensive presence to the big D. But honestly, considering he's never coached before, you have to think only he and Pax know what type of style he's going to push.

I would doubt so.

Paxson really wanted a "defensive" type of coach, hence the interest in Doug Collins. Can't see a huge change in philosophy there.

Hence why I thought Thibodeau would have been a good fit (considering the job he's done in Houston and Boston).

But we'll see how Vinny does. He'll be under pressure from the start to produce though. Let's see if he's up to it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
So we're looking at a run-and-gun type offense next year then?

I dunno about that. That was D'Antoni's calling card, but supposedly he left Phoenix because he and the front office weren't on the same page. Since this guy was part of the fo, he might have very different ideas.

Given that we started with D'Antoni, then went on to Collins and looked into Avery Johnson along the way, I don't think Pax was looking for a coach associated with any particular style of play. He seemed willing to try just about anything.

Interesting hire. Can't comment on it too much until I see some comments out of Del Negro and Paxson. However, this seems like a pretty solid hire. He's been around winning and he should be able to relate to the players. He has also been on staffs or teams that are superior offensively as well as defensively.

just speculating here, but maybe del negro gave paxson the best of both worlds.

he knows he has a group on his hands that could excel in an up-tempo system. at the same time, he has his own strong belief in the importance of defense.

with d'antoni, he had perhaps the perfect offensive coach for his group, but a guy who had already chafed under a gm who insisted on him getting defensive help. and d'antoni had the leverage of the knicks job, so he didn't have to play ball the way paxson wanted.

with del negro, you get a guy who is obviously very familiar with an up-tempo system, but he also has a defensive background and no leverage to say no to what paxson wants.

Whatever happens, I just don't want to sacrifice the gritty defense. That was my favorite thing about Skiles. Being able to shut down guys like Dwyane Wade.

If we draft Rose I wonder what Hinrich will look like as a SG?

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
Are you kidding me?? He has ZERO coaching experience. NONE at all. Not even as an assistant coach. Not even junior high or YMCA or a park league...ZERO!

pax is terrible. I miss jerry krause...

I don't miss that fat bastard. He really screwed up things back in the day when he tore apart the team and then the Bulls suffered for a long time. Personally, I think the Bulls screwed themselves by not offering Jordan a position in the organization and perhaps taking over as a coach.

Although, it does make me wonder why Paxon didn't consider Stacey King or Scottie Pippen for the coaching position. Probably just like Collins, JR didn't want to "risk a friendship" with either of them.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
I don't miss that fat bastard. He really screwed up things back in the day when he tore apart the team and then the Bulls suffered for a long time. Personally, I think the Bulls screwed themselves by not offering Jordan a position in the organization and perhaps taking over as a coach.

Although, it does make me wonder why Paxon didn't consider Stacey King or Scottie Pippen for the coaching position. Probably just like Collins, JR didn't want to "risk a friendship" with either of them.

This would have been the worst possible scenario. Jordan is no coach, nor is he a person who can sit behind a desk. He either wants to play, or be a playboy.

I agree that the way the dynasty was broken up was terrible, but offering all of the ex players positions isnt the answer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
If that's true then why did they even talk to D'Antoni?

Probably because of his record as a coach, plus he's a "name" guy who'll put butts in seats.

Just seems weird how you can go from D'Antoni, to Doug Collins and now Del Negro. I hope Pax knows what he's doing. His job probably rests on how Del Negro works out.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
This would have been the worst possible scenario. Jordan is no coach, nor is he a person who can sit behind a desk. He either wants to play, or be a playboy.

I agree that the way the dynasty was broken up was terrible, but offering all of the ex players positions isnt the answer.

Fair enough, I just think that some sort of position should have been given to the greatest player who ever lived. That's all.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
Whatever happens, I just don't want to sacrifice the gritty defense. That was my favorite thing about Skiles. Being able to shut down guys like Dwyane Wade.

Kirk will look very bad, he cant shoot. The Bulls need to package him and get rid of his poor shooting ass. He has been the most over hyped Bull in history, bigger than Brad Sellers.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
Fair enough, I just think that some sort of position should have been given to the greatest player who ever lived. That's all.

A meet and greet face position would be perfect for Jordan. Im very glad that he wasnt able to do anything to the Bulls similar to what he did with the Wizards. Someone wrote a book on his time with the Wizards, talked about how much he hated the business aspect of his job, being at a desk, actually working. He just wanted to hang out for a bit and flash his smile and leave on a jet.

Any way you spin it, Jerry Krause totally messed up the dismantling of the dynasty. He got little to no worth out of the players who helped him win, his drafts were absolutely atrocious, and the after effect scared off free agents for years.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)

Hopefully good because drafting Rose could signal the final goodbye to Gordon (or a sign and trade) and the resigning of Deng.

Hopefully it's Gordon, Hinrich, and TT for Elton Brand, because like somebody said, Hinrich blows.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)

Kenny Williams, Ozzie Guillen, Greg Walker, Joey Cora, Harold Baines and Daryl Boston would disagree.

Seriously though, I wouldn't trust Jordan or Pippen with coaching this, or any, team. Jordan isn't interested and has proved he isn't good at personnel. Pippen isn't really a good role model for a young team. King, I don't know enough about, so I'll pass on making a judgment.