Konerko status

winninguglyin83

Rotoworld.com

Because of additional soreness in his oblique, Paul Konerko won't begin a rehab assignment as hoped on Monday.

"Definitely some soreness, a little bit during and then after I hit [saturday], so the plan was to leave today, but the bottom line is there was a little too much soreness to get on a plane today and get ready to go tomorrow," Konerko explained. "That’s it. As far as a timeline, I don’t know now. I think the worse thing to do is to make a timeline like I had [saturday]. Now, just wait and see and that’s it." Don't count on him helping out this week.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

http://www.talkchicagosports.com/blog/?p=109

Paul Konerko, who has been on the disabled list with an oblique injury, participated in batting practice for the first time on Saturday. Following batting practice, the Sox were expecting to send Konerko out a rehabiliation stint in Charlotte on Sunday, but have pushed that back due to there being a bit more soreness than expected. No new time-table has been established, but the Sox still expect Konerko to be back in the lineup within the next two weeks.

Gage’s Take:

Konerko has struggled this season, but its pretty evident those struggles have been due to a combination of injuries (hand and oblique). I could debate whether Konerko fits into the long-term plans of the Sox, but there is no denying that a healthy and productive Konerko would be a great addition to any contending teams lineup. Let alone a team which has relied on terrible production from first place all season (Note: Injured Konerko was the guy putting up that production).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
Let Paul take all the time he needs. He can be huge for this team if he comes back healthy, but right now, I like the makeup of the team. When it comes to this season, Paul has not been productive at the plate, and with Swisher at 1B, and Anderson in CF, the D is vastly improved.

Agreed. I REALLY like Swish at 1B too....MUCH better team defensively.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
Agreed. I REALLY like Swish at 1B too....MUCH better team defensively.

eh, i dont know, i think pauly defends his position really well. he always makes those stops you expect to get through. wouldn't say it's MUCH improved. maybe a bit.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 04:14 AM)
Konerko has become a master of the pick, but his range is non-existent. Swisher is a much better all around first basemen.

Yes, Swisher has made some plays look easy that PK might not have made. Ward's grounder in the 9th yesterday was a perfect example.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
Konerko has become a master of the pick, but his range is non-existent. Swisher is a much better all around first basemen.

I agree that Swish is a much better firstbaseman. However, I think Paulie's defense is generally underrated. He's been very solid over there for quite some time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 07:38 AM)
The longer Konerko is out, the better this team plays. Swisher at 1B helps our OF by having Anderson or Wise in CF. That and Konerko's .215 average make him rather worthless to the squad. We lose NOTHING without him in there.

OR, he hasn't been preforming this season due to his injuries and with him being injured we are losing out on a big bat in the middle of the order...

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
OR, he hasn't been preforming this season due to his injuries and with him being injured we are losing out on a big bat in the middle of the order...

We aren't really losing out on a big bat though. We've got plenty of boppers in the lineup. Anyone who thinks this team is better with Konerko is sorely mistaken.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
We aren't really losing out on a big bat though. We've got plenty of boppers in the lineup. Anyone who thinks this team is better with Konerko is sorely mistaken.

So, you are telling me that this team is better WITHOUT a healthy and productive Paul Konerko? WOW!

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
So, you are telling me that this team is better WITHOUT a healthy and productive Paul Konerko? WOW!

A productive Konerko may be a thing of the past. At this point he's too streaky. If you think you're ever seeing Paul Konerko hit .280 again, well, props to you, because I just don't see it.

At this point, at best, he's a .260/30/90 guy. With the boppers we have elsewhere in the lineup, I'll take the defense in the outfield and Swisher's increased range at 1B over that.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 03:57 AM)
I agree that Swish is a much better firstbaseman. However, I think Paulie's defense is generally underrated. He's been very solid over there for quite some time.

He picks them with the very best of em and gets to anything hit near him. The only area he actually lacks is in the range department and I'd agree that Swisher is all around better, but not by a whole lot. I also think Swish is one of the best defensive 1st baseman in the game (as he should be, considering he is capable of playing CF).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
He picks them with the very best of em and gets to anything hit near him. The only area he actually lacks is in the range department and I'd agree that Swisher is all around better, but not by a whole lot. I also think Swish is one of the best defensive 1st baseman in the game (as he should be, considering he is capable of playing CF).

I agree with every word of this post.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)

The skill set for a CF and a corner infielder are totally different, though. Not that you're wrong. Just saying, I don't think one has anything to do with the other. In fact I would say having a plus defender at CF play 1B, even if he is good at 1B, is a total waste.

Edited by lostfan

Konerko is a bonafide 2nd half hitter in his career.

Let him rest up and get completely healthy until the ASB. Now's a good chance to see what BA is made of for the next couple of weeks anyways.

Paulie will be back in the lineup when he's ready, and I think he could go on a tear. He's not going to keep hitting .215.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
The skill set for a CF and a corner infielder are totally different, though. Not that you're wrong. Just saying, I don't think one has anything to do with the other. In fact I would say having a plus defender at CF play 1B, even if he is good at 1B, is a total waste.

I agree completely, but I'm also saying that someone who plays CF should be one of the premiere defensive 1st baseman with a bit of experience (because "defensive" tools a Cfer possesses is superior to those a 1B possesses). Heck, just look at Darin Erstad, he was an absolutel stud at 1st (than again, in his prime, he was an absolutely stud in CF too).

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Konerko is a bonafide 2nd half hitter in his career.

Let him rest up and get completely healthy until the ASB. Now's a good chance to see what BA is made of for the next couple of weeks anyways.

Paulie will be back in the lineup when he's ready, and I think he could go on a tear. He's not going to keep hitting .215.

Paulie is a proven solid major league hitter that has struggled due to a couple of nagging injuries. It's very difficult to perform at the major league level when you are 100%, let alone when you aren't. Look at the difference between '07 and '08 for Toby Hall. I can't believe people that just want to throw Paulie under the bus when he has been so solid for so long in a Sox uniform.