Thigpen's record in jeopardy

IamPabloOzuna

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
Angels win every game by 1 run. Hopefully he slows down in the second half. I find F-rod very annoying, with all the yelling and screaming he does.

oh dear his yelling after every out and especially after he finishes a game is one of the things i hate most about all of baseball...its incredibly irritating.

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
oh dear his yelling after every out and especially after he finishes a game is one of the things i hate most about all of baseball...its incredibly irritating.

i don't find it irritating at all. every game is important and he knows that. you know hes giving you 100% every time he goes out and he takes nothing for granted. do you people understand what "fired up" means? K-Rod is seriously something special because he takes EVERY game as serious as game 7 of the world series, and he gets the job done more consistently and frequently than any other closer in baseball. IIRC, Dotel was yellin and screamin last night after he struck out shoppach. I'd rather have him acting like that then acting like he did against the cubs. wouldn't you?

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)

Are you a grandmother? :P

QUOTE (lukeman89 @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
i don't find it irritating at all. every game is important and he knows that. you know hes giving you 100% every time he goes out and he takes nothing for granted. do you people understand what "fired up" means? K-Rod is seriously something special because he takes EVERY game as serious as game 7 of the world series, and he gets the job done more consistently and frequently than any other closer in baseball. IIRC, Dotel was yellin and screamin last night after he struck out shoppach. I'd rather have him acting like that then acting like he did against the cubs. wouldn't you?

Guys like Rivera, Hoffman, etc. don't act like a bunch of spazzes every time they get a K or a save. Does that mean they don't care as much as K-Rod?

QUOTE (lukeman89 @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)

I'm not against a little fist pump or something like that, but this dude has a 10 minute dance thing he does. Yelling like a idiot. Give me a cool and calm pitcher with ice water running in his veins than some idiot running around like a show off. You never used to see Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson doing little dances. You gonna tell me those guys didn't take things serious.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
I'm not against a little fist pump or something like that, but this dude has a 10 minute dance thing he does. Yelling like a idiot. Give me a cool and calm pitcher with ice water running in his veins than some idiot running around like a show off. You never used to see Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson doing little dances. You gonna tell me those guys didn't take things serious.

LOL ... Bob Gibson's picture is next to word 'serious' in the dictionary.

QUOTE (Noberto Martin @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Thigpen might be the worst player ever to hold a single season record, he was Todd Jones/Jo-Bo esque. K-Rod is better, he deserves it.

He's a big example on why you don't judge a player just because of big save numbers.

his 1.83 ERA wasn't good enough for you?

Thigpen might be the worst player ever to hold a single season record, he was Todd Jones/Jo-Bo esque. K-Rod is better, he deserves it.

He's a big example on why you don't judge a player just because of big save numbers.

It shocks me how great most Sox fans think of Thigpen because of that record. When putting together the "All-Time Sox bullpens," I always see his name mentioned over Keith Foulke.

I only remember Thigpen in his later years, but looking back I'm shocked at how unimpressive his numbers are to be considered to be part of an "All-time bullpen."

He only had two really good years.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
It shocks me how great most Sox fans think of Thigpen because of that record. When putting together the "All-Time Sox bullpens," I always see his name mentioned over Keith Foulke.

In another year or two, neither Thigpen nor Foulke nor Howry nor Hernandez will be mentioned in the closer role in that discussion.

Thigpen was pretty good prior to 1990 on some very bad teams. He had 34 saves in those seasons. Most years, his 1990 is a lock for the Cy Young. After that, he became average and then worse, but not many White Sox relievers have been able to put up numbers for 4 or 5 years like him.

I think Rodriquez will shatter the record. I think the Angels should let him try to get 70 saves and then watch someone sign him to an enormous contract. I think this season will take a toll on him not unlike the 1990 season took one on Thiggy.

Edited by Dick Allen

Bobby Thigpen was a mediocre—OK, decent—relief pitcher that had a few par-for-the-course seasons as a big league closer and one season for the ages.

After the 57-save season, he could never get it back on track.

Be that as it may, I've enjoyed having a Sox pitcher holding a record for nearly two decades and no record will ever stand forever. K-Rod's not my favorite guy in baseball, but if he keeps it up he'll be a Hall of Famer.

And the article linked in here earlier has it wrong. Dave Righetti had 46 saves with the Yankees in 1986 which at the time was the standing single-season saves record.

Edited by Drew

QUOTE (lukeman89 @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
his 1.83 ERA wasn't good enough for you?

He had a GREAT year, but other than that he was your average middle reliever who had a short career.

Theres tons of guys who put up one great year out of the pen.

57 saves doesn't exactly make him an all time great, it makes him a reliever that got lucky one year.

QUOTE (Noberto Martin @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
He had a GREAT year, but other than that he was your average middle reliever who had a short career.

Theres tons of guys who put up one great year out of the pen.

57 saves doesn't exactly make him an all time great, it makes him a reliever that got lucky one year.

i was responding to a guy who said that his season proved that the save was the most overrated stat in baseball. by saying that, he is implying that his 57 saves shouldn't impress that many people because his other numbers werent as good. well guess what? his other numbers WERE good. was maris' '61 season less remarkable because he didn't have the career to back it up? if you think so you have to be insane.

QUOTE (lukeman89 @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)

NO

I seem to recall that Thigpen never was the same after beaning Terry steinbach of the A's. Steinbach was in the hospital under observation for several days. Bobby just didn't have his heart in it after that.