Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
Oh, am I hurting your feelings with your Brian Campbell man crush?

Thats pretty creative.

Actually I am a blackhawks fan and I know they are better with Campbell on the team, therefore I dont blame every loss on him nor do I nitpick every little error he has because of a blind hatred. There are plenty of players I dont like on the team, however I know that the alternative for the most part is worse.

As for your "evidence to the contrary." He ranks 9th in points for defensemen in the league. Thats what he does for us and thats the role he fills. I undertstand you think that defensemen should play defense and nothing else, but he is a point maker and this team thrives on scoring.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
That was a nice win yesterday. Patrick Sharp means so much to this team... hopefully he stays healthy and we can get hot, and of course some of the pressure can come off Toews and Kane.

The goal he had was something that the team was lacking with his injury. Being able to take the puck directly to the net and make an agressive shot is something i missed with him gone. we've been relying way too much on long shots from the blue line, and trying to make the perfect pass.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Thats pretty creative.

Actually I am a blackhawks fan and I know they are better with Campbell on the team, therefore I dont blame every loss on him nor do I nitpick every little error he has because of a blind hatred. There are plenty of players I dont like on the team, however I know that the alternative for the most part is worse.

As for your "evidence to the contrary." He ranks 9th in points for defensemen in the league. Thats what he does for us and thats the role he fills. I undertstand you think that defensemen should play defense and nothing else, but he is a point maker and this team thrives on scoring.

And at what cost?

LOL, way to make s*** up...but no, defensemen are indeed paid to play in the defensive end as well. You never will get that. f*** Bryan Berard was better defensively!

Blind hatred? Try blind optimism. It's funny that you think I'm in the minority among knowledgeable Hawks fans.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
And at what cost?

LOL, way to make s*** up...but no, defensemen are indeed paid to play in the defensive end as well. You never will get that. f*** Bryan Berard was better defensively!

Blind hatred? Try blind optimism. It's funny that you think I'm in the minority among knowledgeable Hawks fans.

And obviously I am not included in your "knowledgeable" category right? You want him to be better defensively, and thats understandable, but its hard to deny his value to this team in the role he plays. He's a top 10 point scorer for defensemen, thats a valuable commoditiy to have on a team. I guess maybe only the less knowledgeable hockey fans will be able to see his value.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
And at what cost?

I think people are entitled to their opinions.

I have a lot of friends who are Blackhawks fans... big time Hawks fans. We're talking we go to the games, we know the players, we grew up playing the game, etc etc. We are annoyed with the Wrigley crowd that boos a top 10 scoring defenseman... you know, a guy who has completely changed our offensive approach. What's different between the offense last year and this year? Brian Campbell. (ok, and a healthy Havlat and natural progression of youngsters, but still, same players pretty much).

You may be in the minority, you may not. I don't think it's laughable either way, but I certainly have not seen a poll given to "knowledgeable Hawks fans" to lay basis to anyone's claims. However, of the group of friends I know who live and breath Blackhawks hockey, you would definitely fall in the vast minority. A lot of the newbie fans who expect Campbell to score a goal every game and lay someone out expect more, but stats don't lie... Campbell is doing just fine.

Brian Campbell is right in line with his point totals from last year. He's the exact same player he was last year. I look to a knowledgeable Hawk fan who said the following when we signed Campbell.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
Campbell will improve the PP a ton, no more Williams manning the blue line and also being a defensive liability when we lose the puck, which was pretty ridiculous to watch. His play in his own end is hopefully more consistent than what it has been. After all he's, well, a defenseman. It's good that he's a puck mover, but this defense isn't as tough as I'd like it to be, but it's better. You've gotta hope Barker has a good year (I think he'll continue upward, personally) and that Sopel stays healthy. A little on the small size, so hopefully that doesn't put us in the box more often when we have to play it down in the corners and behind the goal. Tallon got his #1 guy. Crazy.

This pundit liked the signing, but understood that Campbell ain't exactly a defensive defenseman. What has changed from then and now? The Hawks have a little rough patch and people start booing a productive player? Puh-leeze!

He wasn't signed to do that. Though he's not racking up PP points (though not far off from last year's numbers), our Power Play is better, and it's largely because of Brian Campbell. He's doing exactly what he was signed to do (see point totals). Just because he signed a big contract that won't make him a better player.

As another knowledgable Hawks fan, I have no issue with Campbell. He's one of the top offensive D-Men in the game. The Hawks are going to start rolling here soon with Sharp back, and I'll be happy I didn't turn on a player for doing exactly what he was signed to do.

Edited by Steve9347

It was a decent win, and any 2 points are beautiful at this stage, but they didn't play very well in the 2nd or 3rd periods.

How Dave Bolland wasn't one of last night's stars is beyond me. I know Toews had an "accidental" goal and a shootout goal, but the entire Havlat/Ladd/Bolland line were the 3 stars IMO.

The Hakws can't afford to look past NJ, but Sunday's game vs Vancouver is huge.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
It was a decent win, and any 2 points are beautiful at this stage, but they didn't play very well in the 2nd or 3rd periods.

How Dave Bolland wasn't one of last night's stars is beyond me. I know Toews had an "accidental" goal and a shootout goal, but the entire Havlat/Ladd/Bolland line were the 3 stars IMO.

The Hakws can't afford to look past NJ, but Sunday's game vs Vancouver is huge.

They definitely didn't play well in the 2nd and 3rd periods, and more specifically, the two goals allowed in the 3rd period were BOTH inexcuseable defense play by the Hawks. But two points this late in the year is huge, especially against a team as good as San Jose. Hopefully the Hawks can get a regulation win against Vancouver.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
I think people are entitled to their opinions.

I have a lot of friends who are Blackhawks fans... big time Hawks fans. We're talking we go to the games, we know the players, we grew up playing the game, etc etc. We are annoyed with the Wrigley crowd that boos a top 10 scoring defenseman... you know, a guy who has completely changed our offensive approach. What's different between the offense last year and this year? Brian Campbell. (ok, and a healthy Havlat and natural progression of youngsters, but still, same players pretty much).

You may be in the minority, you may not. I don't think it's laughable either way, but I certainly have not seen a poll given to "knowledgeable Hawks fans" to lay basis to anyone's claims. However, of the group of friends I know who live and breath Blackhawks hockey, you would definitely fall in the vast minority. A lot of the newbie fans who expect Campbell to score a goal every game and lay someone out expect more, but stats don't lie... Campbell is doing just fine.

Brian Campbell is right in line with his point totals from last year. He's the exact same player he was last year. I look to a knowledgeable Hawk fan who said the following when we signed Campbell.

This pundit liked the signing, but understood that Campbell ain't exactly a defensive defenseman. What has changed from then and now? The Hawks have a little rough patch and people start booing a productive player? Puh-leeze!

He wasn't signed to do that. Though he's not racking up PP points (though not far off from last year's numbers), our Power Play is better, and it's largely because of Brian Campbell. He's doing exactly what he was signed to do (see point totals). Just because he signed a big contract that won't make him a better player.

As another knowledgable Hawks fan, I have no issue with Campbell. He's one of the top offensive D-Men in the game. The Hawks are going to start rolling here soon with Sharp back, and I'll be happy I didn't turn on a player for doing exactly what he was signed to do.

This is a good post. Campbell had a horrible game a few weeks ago against Boston, and he looked really bad when he was beaten on a game winner a couple games back at the end of a shift, and the fact that those incidents coincided with the team hitting a rough patch (due primarily, I think, to the loss of Sharp), kind of helped make him a popular whipping-boy for frustrated Hawks fans (both knowledgeable and not). I'm neither a newbie nor a hockey savant, but I think he is what he is, and you have to take his good with his bad. But there's really no denying the fact that he has significantly contributed to this team's improvement, if only on the power play alone.

Canucks lost last night, so they stay two points behind the Hawks with 10 games left to play, and a game in hand for the Hawks. Also of note is that Columbus won again, and is now 4 points behind the Hawks for the 4th spot. Chicago does have two games in hand against the Jackets.

So who would we rather see in the opening round, Columbus or Vancouver?

I think we match up better with the Canucks.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
Versteeg just had one of the sicker goals of the season. Just great maneuvering by him behind the goal line to get in scoring position.

It might not make sports center tonight... but that was a special goal. Steeger had so little room to get that shot off, and he really could only shoot it where he did. This kid is really special with the puck, absolutely ridiculous sometimes.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 12:23 AM)
No. The 3 division winners get the Top 3 seeds. Then 4-8 get seeded by the most points.

Hmm ok. Does hockey re-seed each round though, and could you get home ice against a team with a better "seed" than you if you have more points than them?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)
Hmm ok. Does hockey re-seed each round though, and could you get home ice against a team with a better "seed" than you if you have more points than them?

NHL doesn't re-seed necessarily... but the highest remaining seed after the first round plays the lowest remaining seed. So if 1 and 7 make it to the conference semi-finals... 1 will always play 7 and the remaining two teams will play against eachother.

The highest seed always gets home-ice advantage.