Ridiculocity

TCQ

WHy is this clown starting. I was listening to the pre game and they said that guillen wanted to give him another start because he feels bad that he has to play one game and then sit a while and he doesnt feel thats right. Well, we dont pay him to feel bad, ramirez needed to start tonight uribe was his pitiful self yet again. And glorious Uribe struck out to end the game. I know no one person loses a game but i just dont see why youd start a backup two days in a row for no reason.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
WHy is this clown starting. I was listening to the pre game and they said that guillen wanted to give him another start because he feels bad that he has to play one game and then sit a while and he doesnt feel thats right. Well, we dont pay him to feel bad, ramirez needed to start tonight uribe was his pitiful self yet again. And glorious Uribe struck out to end the game. I know no one person loses a game but i just dont see why youd start a backup two days in a row for no reason.

When you have teams looking to trade for him you start him. Not to mention I doubt Sexi would have hit a 7 run homer to end the game.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 09:10 PM)
When you have teams looking to trade for him you start him. Not to mention I doubt Sexi would have hit a 7 run homer to end the game.

Still not a good excuse and he claimed it wasnt to show him around, and trust me hes not helping his case by starting him.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 02:10 AM)

That's a terrible reason....you play to win the game!

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
Still not a good excuse and he claimed it wasnt to show him around, and trust me hes not helping his case by starting him.

You really think a manager is going to say "Well we're trying to trade him, so I am letting the scouts see him." Alexi would have made 0 difference anyway, no point in getting worked up over it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
That's a terrible reason....you play to win the game!

explain to me how Alexi would have made 1 bit of difference in this game? They sucked ass in every part of the game today, doesn't matter

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 03:17 AM)
explain to me how Alexi would have made 1 bit of difference in this game? They sucked ass in every part of the game today, doesn't matter

Yes, he wouldn't have made a difference tonight. However, the fact that we're creating opportunities for Uribe to play just so that we can eventually trade him is pathetic. The Sox aren't going to get s*** for him anyways.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
I just think when you're in contention, it's ridiculous to even consider showcasing a lesser player that everyone knows won't net you anything useful.

You said it. Win or lose, the fact that he is suddenly starting again sickens me. Anyway, Uribe is probably best "showcased" sitting on the bench.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 09:19 PM)
Yes, he wouldn't have made a difference tonight. However, the fact that we're creating opportunities for Uribe to play just so that we can eventually trade him is pathetic. The Sox aren't going to get s*** for him anyways.

Honestly that doesn't even matter since it's hindsight. Ramirez is clearly better than Uribe right now by leaps and bounds.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
Ramirez is 3 for his last 18. His OBP is a whopping .309. Someone explain how he would have made up the 6 run difference?

Yeah, and Uribe's OBP is a whopping .264. And it's not like we went out there knowing we'd lose 7-1 either. That's a silly rationalization.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
Ramirez is 3 for his last 18. His OBP is a whopping .309. Someone explain how he would have made up the 6 run difference?

He could have hit an eleventy hundred run homer!!!111one11!

The Uribe hate is lame. One, you've got to rest Ocab/Ramirez since they've started about 100 games in a row (which could have been remedied by starting Uribe sparingly in that stretch aka USING HIM EFFECTIVELY), Two, you want to showcase Uribe? Start him in place of that lamb at third instead of Ozuna. And then even after it's decided that Ozuna starts, he bats sixth! That would have me ROFL if I weren't a Sox fan, but I am, so it just has me TSATV (throwing s*** at TV).

But really, Quentin or Dye K's or pops one up to the catcher in a clutch spot and everyone is fine. Uribe does it and it's cause for death by firing squad and Ozzie's a f***ing moron for not starting Shoeless Babe Ramirez for the 80th time in 50 games. I understand Dye or Quentin have done enough good to get a free pass from time to time, but failing in a clutch situation is just that.

Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
He could have hitten an eleventy hundred run homer!!!111one11!

The Uribe hate is lame. One, you've got to rest Ocab/Ramirez since they've started about 100 games in a row (which could have been remedied by starting Uribe sparingly in that stretch aka USING HIM EFFECTIVELY), Two, you want to showcase Uribe? Start him in place of that lamb at third instead of Ozuna. And then even after it's decided that Ozuna starts, he bats sixth! That would have me ROFL if I weren't a Sox fan, but I am, so it just has me TSATV (throwing s*** at TV).

But really, Quentin or Dye K's or pops one up to the catcher in a clutch spot and everyone is fine. Uribe does it and it's cause for death by firing squad and Ozzie's a f***ing moron for not starting Shoeless Babe Ramirez for the 80th time in 50 games. I understand Dye or Quentin have done enough good to get a free pass from time to time, but failing in a clutch situation is just that.

Everything bad is Uribe's fault. Everything.

Juan Uribe 2008 OPS+: 57

Carlos Quentin 2008 OPS+: 136

Jermaine Dye 2008 OPS+: 139

Yep, certainly a valid comparison there! Juan Uribe = Carlos Quentin = Jermaine Dye. Uribe for the 2008 All-Star Game!

Sometimes I wonder about some of you...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)

During that 3 for 18, he also has only struck out 1 time, he's homered once, he's had a sac bunt, a sac fly, 3 RBI, and 2 runs scored. As a 9 hitter, that is perfectly fine during a player's cold spells.

Alexei is also 10 for his last 33 (.303), 5 RBI, 4 runs scored, 2 homers, 2 doubles, those two sac hits, and 5 strikeouts. That's good for an .845 OPS.

oh, and FWIW, Uribe was 6 for 22 going into tonight's game...2 doubles, no sac hits anywhere to be seen, 3 runs, 2 RBI, and 5 strikeouts. That's good for a .637 OPS. And Uribe, even though he had a DL stint, hasn't drawn a walk in almost 2 months. That would be 0 walks in 32 plate appearances.

and, since you can cherry pick stats, Uribe is 7 for his last 32, 0 walks, 2 doubles, 3 RBI, 5 runs, 8 K's, and he grounded into a double play in the meantime too. .500 OPS during that time period.

Yeah, real good option there, let's try and run out the player who hasn't been an average major league hitter since 2004 who might accidentally run into a fastball and send it into the stands regardless of the number of runners on base...for a first place team.

You seem to be arguing not that Uribe should have been in the lineup but that Alexei wouldn't have made a difference...why wouldn't you put your best team on the field when, quite clearly, Alexei Ramirez is a far superior option to Juan Uribe at this point in time? Argue that Uribe needed playing time atleast, not that Alexei would have made no difference.

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)

Yep, certainly a valid comparison there! Juan Uribe = Carlos Quentin = Jermaine Dye. Uribe for the 2008 All-Star Game!

thxmch, +1

my problem isn't so much that Uribe is getting playing time - I'd much prefer Uribe on the roster than Ozuna - but rather that he is used in the right spots. However, barring injury, he should never get two days in a row in the starting lineup ever. He's not going to get in a groove anyways, so why would you even try?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 06:39 AM)
During that 3 for 18, he also has only struck out 1 time, he's homered once, he's had a sac bunt, a sac fly, 3 RBI, and 2 runs scored. As a 9 hitter, that is perfectly fine during a player's cold spells.

Alexei is also 10 for his last 33 (.303), 5 RBI, 4 runs scored, 2 homers, 2 doubles, those two sac hits, and 5 strikeouts. That's good for an .845 OPS.

oh, and FWIW, Uribe was 6 for 22 going into tonight's game...2 doubles, no sac hits anywhere to be seen, 3 runs, 2 RBI, and 5 strikeouts. That's good for a .637 OPS. And Uribe, even though he had a DL stint, hasn't drawn a walk in almost 2 months. That would be 0 walks in 32 plate appearances.

and, since you can cherry pick stats, Uribe is 7 for his last 32, 0 walks, 2 doubles, 3 RBI, 5 runs, 8 K's, and he grounded into a double play in the meantime too. .500 OPS during that time period.

Yeah, real good option there, let's try and run out the player who hasn't been an average major league hitter since 2004 who might accidentally run into a fastball and send it into the stands regardless of the number of runners on base...for a first place team.

You seem to be arguing not that Uribe should have been in the lineup but that Alexei wouldn't have made a difference...why wouldn't you put your best team on the field when, quite clearly, Alexei Ramirez is a far superior option to Juan Uribe at this point in time? Argue that Uribe needed playing time atleast, not that Alexei would have made no difference.

thxmch, +1

my problem isn't so much that Uribe is getting playing time - I'd much prefer Uribe on the roster than Ozuna - but rather that he is used in the right spots. However, barring injury, he should never get two days in a row in the starting lineup ever. He's not going to get in a groove anyways, so why would you even try?

If you watched the game, Uribe had a sac. bunt. The argument is, the bench players have to play every now and again. Ramirez has struggled at the plate recently regardless of his game tying homer, which BTW wasn't exactly kilt as Hawk likes to say, but I realize it isn't baskeball they count the same whether it goes 1 foot over the wall or 150 feet over the wall. It was a good time to rest him again. It gets Uribe some ABs, and ultimately the move didn't cost you anything. The most irritating thing about this thread was that it was started AFTER the game, and people are still b****ing. Why aren't they b****ing about Buerhle stinking up the joint?

Obviously Ramirez is the starter, Uribe on the bench, but for as bad as Uribe has been offensively, his OBP is .050 lower. That means he gets on base 1 less time per 20 plate appearances. For 1 game when a guy has struggled a little bit recently, I can't see the problem there. Last time Ramirez was in a little slump, Uribe stepped in, then Ramirez came back and hit well. There is always the possibility that a day off will actually help Ramirez.

Ripping Uribe for lack of walks is comical when praising Ramirez. Ramirez hasn't drawn a walk since June 10th and has 6 this year. Uribe has 9 in less ABs. Uribe has gone 35 ABs without a walk. Ramirez has gone 68 ABs without one.

My posts aren't Ramirez vs. Uribe per se. I realize Ramirez is the starter, but he is a guy who needs a rest every now and then, and 3-18 is a good time to get him one. There's probably a better chance that he would have been 0fer last night than there was in him leading the Sox to victory.

Edited by Dick Allen

If teams feel the need to see Uribe in a "showcase" start they are highly misinformed.If the league doesnt know what they are gonna get out of him at this point you sure have some dumbass people running your organization.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 10:02 AM)
If teams feel the need to see Uribe in a "showcase" start they are highly misinformed.If the league doesnt know what they are gonna get out of him at this point you sure have some dumbass people running your organization.

Agree. Every team has all the video they need at this point. If the Dodgers or Orioles want to see him play live, I'm sure they've already got all the reports in at this point. There's really no mystery left with Juan.

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)

" I understand Dye or Quentin have done enough good to get a free pass from time to time, but failing in a clutch situation is just that. "

I wasn't comparing Uribe to Queye.

If it's 2-2 in the bottom of the ninth and two outs in the World Series and Jesus Quentin dribbles it to the pitcher. Do you want to hide behind your stats then? Baseball is a game of hit or miss. One day the team MVP will win a game, another day the mascot or bench coach will. It's obvious that there are people who believe that Uribe could end up winning a game here or there for the team. If there weren't, he'd be talking to his bats and bickering playfully with Ed Farmer in Colombia instead of the bench. But you know what? I kind of like a lot of your guys approach. Let's DFA STFU LULZ him and bat with 8 guys instead of 9, and lets just put one of those bp ball screens at short on defesnse.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
" I understand Dye or Quentin have done enough good to get a free pass from time to time, but failing in a clutch situation is just that. "

I wasn't comparing Uribe to Queye.

If it's 2-2 in the bottom of the ninth and two outs in the World Series and Jesus Quentin dribbles it to the pitcher. Do you want to hide behind your stats then? Baseball is a game of hit or miss. One day the team MVP will win a game, another day the mascot or bench coach will. It's obvious that there are people who believe that Uribe could end up winning a game here or there for the team. If there weren't, he'd be talking to his bats and bickering playfully with Ed Farmer in Colombia instead of the bench. But you know what? I kind of like a lot of your guys approach. Let's DFA STFU LULZ him and bat with 8 guys instead of 9, and lets just put one of those bp ball screens at short on defesnse.

Okay, odd ramblings aside, Quentin gets breaks in situations where he doesn't succeed because he is good. Juan Uribe doesn't, because he is bad. It's pretty simple. I don't remember suggesting to DFA Uribe, either.