The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
I think shortly after he picked Palin, he realized he made a HUGE mistake based on advise from people who were supposed to single out the best possible candidate. But, he had to put forward a strong front, so he fought on, even after it became clear she was no where NEAR ready for the job. What was TRUELY startling about the Palin pick was the #3 reason who his advisers suggested her: "wow... just look at her". If you #3 reason is her looks, that's a loosing proposition.

I think that was a subtle way of him admitting "yeah, I blew it." Of course, Palin supporters, delusional as they are, think McCain blew it on his own, and she only added votes. Yeah, not so much. The polling data was there for all to see, and the truth will manifest itself for them during the GOP primaries.

Edited by lostfan

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
I think that was a subtle way of him admitting "yeah, I blew it." Of course, Palin supporters, delusional as they are, think McCain blew it on his own, and she only added votes. Yeah, not so much. The polling data was there for all to see, and the truth will manifest itself for them during the GOP primaries.

Palin added voters int he short term. That initial boost where McCain/Palin overtook Obama/Biden in the polling was shocking to me. I thought they would close the 9point gap, but not take the lead. but over time, she became a liability and it showed. The more she talked, the more McCain sank. Combine that with the debates, the bailout and the over all economy, he was done.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Palin added voters int he short term. That initial boost where McCain/Palin overtook Obama/Biden in the polling was shocking to me. I thought they would close the 9point gap, but not take the lead. but over time, she became a liability and it showed. The more she talked, the more McCain sank. Combine that with the debates, the bailout and the over all economy, he was done.

That was also right at convention time, I wasn't surprised at all. It was an exaggerated convention bounce.

seriously, when McCain had a convention bounce he was "taking the lead" when Obama had a convention bounce, it was a convention bounce. No matter if you thought there were more favorable articles about Obama, the polling data submitted by major newspapers tried to help out mccain.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
seriously, when McCain had a convention bounce he was "taking the lead" when Obama had a convention bounce, it was a convention bounce. No matter if you thought there were more favorable articles about Obama, the polling data submitted by major newspapers tried to help out mccain.

Exactly. McCain's convention bounce just happened to be amplified by the unknown that was Palin at the time, and the fact that he hadn't led before. But he would've led no matter what, and come back down.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
And for those who dont know, these tea bag parties are not being organized by "regular" people. They are being organized by corporate lobbyists and Republican think tanks.

The immigration rallies of the last few years were largely organized by labor unions and other Democratic organizations, does that diminish them?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
The immigration rallies of the last few years were largely organized by labor unions and other Democratic organizations, does that diminish them?

to an extent, yes. Because it looses it's authenticity to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)

?

At least the impression I got was that the big ones in L.A. in 2006 came about through a combination of a hell of a lot of text messages and a few statements by the guys on the latino radio stations out here.

Are you referring to some other set of rallies or can you dispute the impression I got?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)

?

At least the impression I got was that the big ones in L.A. in 2006 came about through a combination of a hell of a lot of text messages and a few statements by the guys on the latino radio stations out here.

Are you referring to some other set of rallies or can you dispute the impression I got?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
?

In Chicago, the SEIU was the big organizer. I have pictures of them in their colored shirts directing traffic and organizing the crowds. The random gathering crap was a myth. The unions were totally behind the organization of this.