The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

Senator Specter is such a jerk that he made Rep. Bachmann look nice.

As Bachmann finished describing tax policies she would ideally pursue in 2010, Specter began his response, criticizing the congresswoman for dodging the original question. That discussion became tense, as Bachmann continued to talk over Specter, prompting the Pennsylvania senator to charge: "Now wait a minute. I'll stop and you can talk... I'll treat you like a lady. So act like one."

"I am a lady," Bachmann replied.

The conversation continued, with the two prodding each other about "prosperity," until Bachmann interrupted Specter once more.

And, once again, the Pennsylvania Democrat fired back his line: "Now wait a minute, don't interrupt me. I didn't interrupt you. Act like a lady."

Bachmann replied in kind, noting, "I think I am a lady." And Specter, sensing this line of attack was going nowhere, said: "I think you are too, that's why I'm treating you like one."

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whoa, here's another aspect of that decision, and the interpretation is probably right.

One aspect of the ruling that hasn’t gathered much attention: as far as I can tell, the analysis doesn’t distinguish between domestic and foreign corporations. Not that it would matter much, since a foreign corporation can always establish a domestic subsidiary, or buy an American company: Cities Service, for example, is a unit of PDVSA, the Venezuelan state oil company. So the ruling allows Hugo Chavez to spend as much money as he wants to helping and harming American politicians. If the Russian, Saudi, and Chinese governments don’t currently have appropriate vehicles for doing so, you can count on it: they soon will.

Nor is this a problem that can be handled by “disclosure.” The ad on TV praising the opponent of the congressman who did something to annoy Hugo Chavez won’t say “Paid for by Hugo Chavez.” It will say “Paid for by Citizens for Truth, Justice, and the American Way,” which in turn will have gotten a contribution from “Americans for Niceness,” which in turn will have gotten a contribution from a lobbyist for a subsidiary of Cities Service that no one has ever heard of.

In what I can only figure is a choice as a metaphor for the times in which we live, this year's White House Correspondents dinner, the night where each administration and the people who fellate it in print and on TV so that they can keep their precious access to the cocktail party circuit to the detriment of all mankind...will be hosted by noneother than Jay Leno.

The only time this event wasn't an embarrassment for everyone was in 2006, where the host couldn't have come out cleaner.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
In what I can only figure is a choice as a metaphor for the times in which we live, this year's White House Correspondents dinner, the night where each administration and the people who fellate it in print and on TV so that they can keep their precious access to the cocktail party circuit to the detriment of all mankind...will be hosted by noneother than Jay Leno.

The only time this event wasn't an embarrassment for everyone was in 2006, where the host couldn't have come out cleaner.

My wife is still trying to convince the President of the club she works for to get Colbert as a speaker. *crosses fingers*

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
And when Bush went around the stage searching for the missing WMD, that was totally hi-larious.

I loved when they cut away to survivors of bombed out civilian homes in Iraq. The howling laughter coming from those people was priceless.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
I read the line of something SS2K5 posted that says they didn't lift a ban on unlimited corporate contributions so I feel better about that... still pissed about the ruling though.

It's actually unlimited in the sense that you can spend an unlimited amount as long as you don't directly coordinate with a campaign, I think. Basically it's the slightly more complicated version of soft money that is no longer limted.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
And it won't take about 15 seconds to figure out who exactly that is, and exploit the hell out of it by the other side?

Betcha can't guess who the largest shareholder in Newscorp is outside of the Murdoch family.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
And it gives all of the more reason for one side to exploit those donors...

So, if someone were to point out that Prince Bin-Talal owns 8% of newscorp, you think that'd make people stop watching, or question why that network's official policy is that there's no such thing as climate change? Somehow, I doubt it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
So, if someone were to point out that Prince Bin-Talal owns 8% of newscorp, you think that'd make people stop watching, or question why that network's official policy is that there's no such thing as climate change? Somehow, I doubt it.

Not any different than the leaders of the green movement is getting f***ing rich off of it...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
Not any different than the leaders of the green movement is getting f***ing rich off of it...

So, in other words, you now agree that no one will have any problem with ads sponsored indirectly by foreign governments.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
So, in other words, you now agree that no one will have any problem with ads sponsored indirectly by foreign governments.

Honestly it is much easier to manipulate peoples xenophobia's and racism than anything. If you start screaming about non-white, non-American's being behind something, there will be enough of the population who will be upset by it. Besides, it is not like foreign powers trying to manipulate our politics would even be new.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
Honestly it is much easier to manipulate peoples xenophobia's and racism than anything. If you start screaming about non-white, non-American's being behind something, there will be enough of the population who will be upset by it. Besides, it is not like foreign powers trying to manipulate our politics would even be new.

So basically, you're arguing that the people who the xenophobes already support can do just about anything, like have their private news network owned by a Saudi Prince, but if there were another party, they'd get tons of crap if the same thing happened.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
So basically, you're arguing that the people who the xenophobes already support can do just about anything, like have their private news network owned by a Saudi Prince, but if there were another party, they'd get tons of crap if the same thing happened.

Because we all know that Muslims don't get people excited at all... Or are the instances of Muslims being targeted that are trumpeted all of the time in this very thread not true or relevant?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
Because we all know that Muslims don't get people excited at all... Or are the instances of Muslims being targeted that are trumpeted all of the time in this very thread not true or relevant?

They're only targeted if they're not rich enough to own part of Fox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
And yet...it hasn't happened yet. Fascinating.

We also haven't had it be relevant until this election. You have seen how the left wing freaked out about half of this ruling. I have no doubts that if this happens, it will be all over every single anti-fox news website out there.