The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
On a similiar note, is this the Do Nothing Congress Part Duex? It's been over 3 years now, what exactly have they accomplished (that wasn't reactionary)?

Yup, that's what happens when you go from needing a cloture vote on 1/3 of your Senate votes to on every vote that doesn't benefit the banks.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
Yup, that's what happens when you go from needing a cloture vote on 1/3 of your Senate votes to on every vote that doesn't benefit the banks.

Evil f***ing profits. Ban the market system before it's too late.

"Government Saves".

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
Evil f***ing profits. Ban the market system before it's too late.

"Government Saves".

You do realize that the bank market you just defended wouldn't exist if the government hadn't saved it? Or at least that it wouldn't have any profits at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
You do realize that the bank market you just defended wouldn't exist if the government hadn't saved it? Or at least that it wouldn't have any profits at all.

The banks weren't profiting, otherwise they wouldn't need saving.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
The banks weren't profiting, otherwise they wouldn't need saving.

Oh, I'm sorry, the bank employees. They've made out like gangbusters. Citigroup, for example, paid out more last year in compensation than it took in as revenue.

So, today, the President, post-SOTU, went and spent a while talking to and then publicly taking questions from Congressional Republicans, something along the lines of the PM's question time, with less hissing. I can't get the video to currently load, but the accounts so far are that he was clearly at another level from them. Here's link with vid. Full hour long.

Edit: Yowza.

But at its core, if you look at the basic proposal that we put forward, it has an exchange so that businesses and the self-employed can buy into a pool and can get bargaining power the same way big companies do, the insurance reforms that I've already discussed, making sure that there's choice and competition for those who don't have health insurance.

The component parts of this thing are pretty similar to what Howard Baker, Bob Dole and Tom Daschle proposed at the beginning of this debate last year.

Now, you may not agree with Bob Dole and Howard Baker and Tom -- and certainly you don't agree with Tom Daschle on much...

(LAUGHTER)

... but that's not a radical bunch. But if you were to listen to the debate, and, frankly, how some of you went after this bill, you'd think that this thing was some Bolshevik plot.

(LAUGHTER)

No, I mean, that's how you guys -- that's how you guys presented it.

(APPLAUSE)

And so I'm thinking to myself, "Well, how is it that a plan that is pretty centrist..."

(LAUGHTER)

No, look, I mean, I'm just saying -- I know you guys disagree, but if you look at the facts of this bill, most independent observers would say this is actually what many Republicans -- it -- it's similar to what many Republicans proposed to Bill Clinton when he was doing his debate on health care.

So all I'm saying is we've got to close the gap a little bit between the rhetoric and the reality.

I'm not suggesting that we're going to agree on everything, whether it's on health care or energy or what have you, but if the way these issues are being presented by the Republicans is that this is some wild-eyed plot to impose huge government in every aspect of our lives, what happens is you guys then don't have a lot of room to negotiate with me.

I mean, the fact of the matter is is that many of you, if you voted with the administration on something, are politically vulnerable in your own base, in your own party. You've given yourselves very little room to work in a bipartisan fashion because what you've been telling your constituents is, "This guy's doing all kinds of crazy stuff that's going to destroy America."

Edit 2: here's going to be the media's response; how dare they let cameras in?

Edit 3: I'll chip in $10 to the DNC if they do this with a bunch of congresspeople from the left.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
The Senate passed PAYGO this week, which requires expenditures to be paid for within the budget when funding is provided.

yea, but what if the budget is trillions more than they take in taxes lol. need smaller budgets.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Why can't you people just hand me your paycheck? Let's get the middle man out of the equation.

Sadly, basic economics tells us that this is exactly what a "Spending freeze" up against the zero interest rate bound would do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
Sadly, basic economics tells us that this is exactly what a "Spending freeze" up against the zero interest rate bound would do.

Cool! Just give me your paycheck. I'm a serf in the serfdom. GIMMEEEE!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
serfs didn't get paychecks.

I know. I sit around and wait for yours, and the promises of equality for everyone, while it never happens. I just don't get it. I'm waiting for my government to take care of me, and none of you want to support me in my efforts. What to do, what to do...

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
A message to tea partiers courtesy of Craigslist.

Idioitic. Most people are FOR health care reform, just not the type that has been proposed so far. And really, even if that health care package did pass, you could write the exact same email as a response: "See your paystub and how much of your money goes towards your health insurance? Pretty decent right? Isn't Obama dreamy? Go get your tax returns for 2009-2012. See that gigantic increase in the taxes you pay?! Yep, that goes to cover the cost of your savings! Hoo-ray!"