The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
This one is for BS.

I've been reading this guy's blog lately, he's a law professor at Cornell. He has a review of a new pro-vegan movie, though, and a follow-up today.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

The wife and I are planning to go see the film this weekend if the baby doesn't show up first.

BTW, Ebert gave the film glowing reviews.

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

The wife and I are planning to go see the film this weekend if the baby doesn't show up first.

BTW, Ebert gave the film glowing reviews.

I made a vegan tostada last night and thought of you! :wub:

I've often considered attempting such a diet for a few months, just to see if I can feel/see any differences be it slight or significant, but I have no idea where to begin, or how to go about doing this without severely altering everything in my life to accommodate such a change. Such as where to eat or shop without having to go far out of my way to do so, etc.

I know what tastes good in the meat world and how to make it, but of the few vegan things I've attempted to eat over the past few weeks in determining whether I'd like to delve further into this journey, I've found that what I did eat was rather bland tasting, and often just...not very good or pleasing to eat.

Edit: Oh, and I've searched this matter on Google, but found so many websites dedicated to this (some that conflict or gloss over important life changing details), that I've mostly dismissed it. IE, not all sources of such information are necessarily 'good' sources.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
I made a vegan tostada last night and thought of you! :wub:

:headbang How were they? Did you use beans as the protein?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
I've often considered attempting such a diet for a few months, just to see if I can feel/see any differences be it slight or significant, but I have no idea where to begin, or how to go about doing this without severely altering everything in my life to accommodate such a change. Such as where to eat or shop without having to go far out of my way to do so, etc.

I know what tastes good in the meat world and how to make it, but of the few vegan things I've attempted to eat over the past few weeks in determining whether I'd like to delve further into this journey, I've found that what I did eat was rather bland tasting, and often just...not very good or pleasing to eat.

I'm always here as a resource.

And FYI this is my favorite recipe blog. Everything is outstanding.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)

Actually, they were refried beans, so there was undoubtedly some animal fat in there. Not quite vegan, I guess. Tostada-beans-guacomole-lettuce-tomato. Oh yeah and cheese, lol, not vegan at all! But vegetarian, at least.

I'll check that out.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)

Ok, Mr. Resource, tell me some good places to eat, and/or some things I could try at restaurants that actually taste good. :D Also, I just checked that website, and some of that stuff seems harder to prepare than a good chop, which isn't easy.

In short, what are some quick tips or easy recipes that could help a person get started on such a thing?

My advice is it may be best to start with a vegetarian diet. My second advice is DONT SEEK MEAT SUBSITUTES. Tofu stirfry is one thing, but immediately on trying vegetarianism, my friends would try tofu burgers and it would turn them off. Look toward indian cuisine. Use Eggplant and lentils. Rice, beans, peppers, and lime are your friends. I've just seen that the quickest way to failure is typically the "What's the vegetarian answer for a burger" even though black bean burgers are pretty dope.

But you could also start small by trying pescatarianism.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
My advice is it may be best to start with a vegetarian diet. My second advice is DONT SEEK MEAT SUBSITUTES. Tofu stirfry is one thing, but immediately on trying vegetarianism, my friends would try tofu burgers and it would turn them off. Look toward indian cuisine. Use Eggplant and lentils. Rice, beans, peppers, and lime are your friends. I've just seen that the quickest way to failure is typically the "What's the vegetarian answer for a burger" even though black bean burgers are pretty dope.

This is actually something I was leaning toward. I'm reluctant to cut all meat out of my diet, which is why I lean toward keeping fish around...as I love fish.

It's just other meals, where fish isn't present, I'm not sure what good recipes or combinations exist when it comes to vegetables without having to drown them in salad dressing to make it edible...

Also, I have zero interest in meat substitutes of any kind.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)

Good recommendations.

Thai, Indian, Mexican and other ethnic foods are easy choices for vegetarians and vegans. No need to try "weird" meat substitutes.

Based on a frankly reasonable interpretation of the Citizens United decision, a Federal Judge in Virginia has ruled that any restrictions on direct corporate contributions to political candidates are unconstitutional.

It of course has an Appeals Court step before the Supreme Court.

If the decision were to be upheld by the Supreme Court, corporations would be able to make direct contributions to candidates, just as individuals can, and the only standing restriction would be the limit of amount that they're able to give.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Good recommendations.

Thai, Indian, Mexican and other ethnic foods are easy choices for vegetarians and vegans. No need to try "weird" meat substitutes.

My wife and daughter and I are 3 months into the vegetarian thing - with a bit of pescatarianism thrown in for variety. Not sure how long we will stay on the wagon but it has been fun cooking different things. It turns out I can make a frigid' awesome mushroom and asparagus frittata.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
My wife and daughter and I are 3 months into the vegetarian thing - with a bit of pescatarianism thrown in for variety. Not sure how long we will stay on the wagon but it has been fun cooking different things. It turns out I can make a frigid' awesome mushroom and asparagus frittata.

:headbang

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 26, 2011 -> 09:27 PM)
Are you saying Democrats don't do it without actually saying it? If so, are you that in denial for your party?

Can't you just admit both parties partake in this bulls***? Because they do.

There was an argument for several pages in here while you were suspended where SS and BS argued with some other posters about how much the Democratic Party sucks and that they won't be voting for any of them in 2012.

But yes, Republicans are horrible

Edited by lostfan

To you democrats out there, do you really truly like Obama, or are u just happy there's a Democrat in the Oval Office.

Not to flame, but the economy??? Gas prices are outta control and socking my pocketbook!

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)
To you democrats out there, do you really truly like Obama, or are u just happy there's a Democrat in the Oval Office.

Not to flame, but the economy??? Gas prices are outta control and socking my pocketbook!

It's kinda both with me. Another Democrat really wouldn't be better

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)

The only way Gas Prices will ever be "Under control" again is when we stop using gas.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
The only way Gas Prices will ever be "Under control" again is when we stop using gas.

Why?

Some people seem to think the supply is fine.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
Why?

Some people seem to think the supply is fine.

This one is real simple.

The amount of oil produced by humanity as a whole has essentially stayed totally unchanged since 2006. Prior to that, it was constantly increasing, but since 2006 it has plateaued.

This has happened despite the price of oil going through the roof multiple times since 2006. Right now, there is almost no oil in the world that can't be extracted at a profit, yet there is no additional oil being processed.

Oil discoveries peaked back in the 1970's, and humanity hasn't discovered enough oil to keep up with production since then. Known oil reserves have been declining since the 1970's. This is the most oil that the planet can produce.

What happens now is that as economies try to grow, if they try to grow using oil, then the price of oil goes up. The only way the price of oil can stay under control is if the global economy shrinks, as it did in 2008. Oil cannot be pulled out of the ground any faster than this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
This one is real simple.

The amount of oil produced by humanity as a whole has essentially stayed totally unchanged since 2006. Prior to that, it was constantly increasing, but since 2006 it has plateaued.

This has happened despite the price of oil going through the roof multiple times since 2006. Right now, there is almost no oil in the world that can't be extracted at a profit, yet there is no additional oil being processed.

Oil discoveries peaked back in the 1970's, and humanity hasn't discovered enough oil to keep up with production since then. Known oil reserves have been declining since the 1970's. This is the most oil that the planet can produce.

What happens now is that as economies try to grow, if they try to grow using oil, then the price of oil goes up. The only way the price of oil can stay under control is if the global economy shrinks, as it did in 2008. Oil cannot be pulled out of the ground any faster than this.

YEah, but you're just ignoring Jerome Corsi, who knows that oil is produced abiogenically and that the earth is just full of the stuff!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
This one is real simple.

Thanks for the take. Interesting.

Governor Christie Takes State Helicopter To Son's Baseball Game

Blunt-talking New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who has made ethics and government reform a centerpiece of his Administration, raised some eyebrows yesterday with his decision to take a state helicopter to his son's baseball game yesterday afternoon. Moreover, he left the game in the fifth inning, presumably to make it back to Princeton for his meeting with a group of Iowa activists who had flown to New Jersey to try to convince the governor to run for president.

According to the Newark Star Ledger the Governor landed in the $12.5 million helicopter right before the game began, and then "got into a black car with tinted windows that drove him about a 100 yards to the baseball field" His son Andrew is the starting catcher on his high school team.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/06/g...eball-game.html