• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
All except for the biggest legacy problems not being solved...

Didn't the uaw take over legacy health care costs?

Either way, it's better than the liquidation and collapse of the domestic auto manufacturing industry that was the only alternative.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
All except for the biggest legacy problems not being solved...

Exactly. Without the they get to pay no taxes for the next bazillion years, they would and still are in a lot of trouble in a lot of ways. That's the part of the story no one from the Obama camp wants to talk about. They band aided a huge problem that is going to come back around again.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 11, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
Mark Cuban on Bill Maher: "If my tax rate went from 35% to 39%, I'd never even notice." later..."I've never heard anyone mention taxes in any of my business dealings. You just make the best deal you can."

That's bulls*** and Cuban himself knows it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 06:09 AM)
Cuban would not actually notice if his tax rate climbed 4%. It would have zero impact on his life.

When the GOP offers up to lower all the middle class taxes to 15%, they will notice... and vote GOP

:)

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
Riot breaks out during unveiling of the new free Obama phone.

http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news/secti...rticle=10591459

Anyone that does that is an animal, plain and simple.

Haven't any of these people heard of the f***ing Internet? Even if you don't have Internet access, go to a f***ing library and use it for free to order your stuff online...and then you don't have to deal with douchenozzles like this.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
Black Friday does a nice job of encapsulating our terrible culture. The day (or sometimes hours) after we are supposedly thankful for everything we have, we rush out to stores to literally fight over mass-produced electronics offered at discounted prices.

Yea, it's really sad.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
Black Friday does a nice job of encapsulating our terrible culture. The day (or sometimes hours) after we are supposedly thankful for everything we have, we rush out to stores to literally fight over mass-produced electronics offered at discounted prices.

A guy in Tennessee trying to reach another walmart shot at a car that wasn't moving fast enough for him.

Yup.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)

People go apes*** over free s***, no matter what it is. example #1 Chevy Pride Crew s***ty t-shirt giveaway.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
People go apes*** over free s***, no matter what it is. example #1 Chevy Pride Crew s***ty t-shirt giveaway.

They're going ape s*** for stuff they're paying for in this case. And I don't think I've ever seen anyone care about the chevy pride crew at games I was at. heh

Edited by Y2HH

• 2 weeks later...

Majority on divided three-judge Seventh Circuit panel invalidates under the Second Amendment an Illinois law forbidding most people from carrying a loaded gun in public:

Majority on divided three-judge Seventh Circuit panel invalidates under the Second Amendment an Illinois law forbidding most people from carrying a loaded gun in public: You can access today's ruling of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit at this link.

Circuit Judge Richard A. Posner wrote the majority opinion, in which Circuit Judge Joel M. Flaum joined. Circuit Judge Ann Claire Williams issued a dissenting opinion.

Update: The majority opinion concludes: "we order our mandate stayed for 180 days to allow the Illinois legislature to craft a new gun law that will impose reasonable limitations, consistent with the public safety and the Second Amendment as interpreted in this opinion, on the carrying of guns in public."

Good decision! Lots of history analysis there.

Soxbadger and Balta, this part responds to a lot of what your arguments have been:

A blanket prohibition on carrying gun in public

prevents a person from defending himself anywhere

except inside his home; and so substantial a curtailment

of the right of armed self-defense requires a

greater showing of justification than merely that the

public might benefit on balance from such a curtailment,

though there is no proof it would. In contrast,

when a state bans guns merely in particular places, such

a s p ub li c s c h o o l s , a p er son can p r e s e r ve

an undiminished right of self-defense by not

entering those places; since that’s a lesser burden, the

state doesn’t need to prove so strong a need. Similarly,

the state can prevail with less evidence when, as

in Skoien, guns are forbidden to a class of

persons who present a higher than average risk of misusing a gun. See also Ezell v. City of Chicago, supra, 651 F.3d

at 708. And empirical evidence of a public safety concern

can be dispensed with altogether when the ban is

limited to obviously dangerous persons such as felons

and the mentally ill. Heller v. District of Columbia,

supra, 554 U.S. at 626. Illinois has lots of options for protecting its people from being shot without having to eliminate

all possibility of armed self-defense in public.

I disagree.

I believe I should have every right to vote for a law that limits my exposure to gun violence. If that is not true, then we should have no right to vote for any laws to limit guns. The entire idea of limiting to particular places is silly.

Would the law be okay if I limited it to only cities with a population over 50,000?

Would the law be okay if I limited it to "not carrying a weapon within 1 mile of a school"?

Would the law be okay if I limited it to "no guns in a courthouse"?

Because if the answer is "yes" to any of those, this is just a waste of our time. Either guns are dangerous and we can have laws to limit where they can be, or they are not dangerous.

I really do not care that much, when I was younger I was super pro-gun rights. My stance is more out of anger towards pro-gun anti-drug people who try and some how rationalize that guns are okay to own, but drugs are not. Ive consistently stated that if pro-gun people want to promote pro-drug policies, Id gladly support them owning tanks, nuclear weapons or whatever else they need to feel safe at night from the bogeyman.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Posner addresses #2 and #3 in his opinion. Essentially, avoiding places where guns are banned, when the bans are limited, does not present a substantial burden. Most people can generally avoid those places. Not so when they're banned everywhere but your own house.

Which of course...leaves me zero ability to avoid places where people are carrying weapons.