The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

The Economist

Options for this story

Today's ‪#‎Dailychart‬ reveals the surprising disparity in the wealth of American and Chinese politicians. The 50 richest members of Congress in America hold a staggering $1.6 billion. But that's nothing compared with China. The wealthiest 50 delegates to the National People's Congress (NPC) control $94.7 billion, according to the Hurun Report's latest rich list http://econ.st/18dNG1I

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I am a prominent Republican with a federal position and with presidential goals, I would be trying to find the very fine line between willing to compromise (gain moderate votes in the general) and not caving in to the President (to win the nomination). That is an almost impossible task.

Which I think is why the current governors have a better shot at 2014. They can position themselves and say "we're not part of the gridlock and shut down". Nice position for a reinvented and more ready Perry and a slimmed down Christie. I think their chances go way up the longer this drags on and the longer incumbants have to garner negative attention.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
If I am a prominent Republican with a federal position and with presidential goals, I would be trying to find the very fine line between willing to compromise (gain moderate votes in the general) and not caving in to the President (to win the nomination). That is an almost impossible task.

Which I think is why the current governors have a better shot at 2014. They can position themselves and say "we're not part of the gridlock and shut down". Nice position for a reinvented and more ready Perry and a slimmed down Christie. I think their chances go way up the longer this drags on and the longer incumbants have to garner negative attention.

Perry is way too extreme. Christie would be a great candidate IMO because he's an actual conservative but not crazy. And the Hurricane Sandy stuff showed he's not going to put stupid party politics over getting s*** done, even when that means *gasp* working with a Democrat.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
Perry is way too extreme. Christie would be a great candidate IMO because he's an actual conservative but not crazy. And the Hurricane Sandy stuff showed he's not going to put stupid party politics over getting s*** done, even when that means *gasp* working with a Democrat.

I agree. But wouldn't you agree that Perry would have an easier time in the GOP primaries and Christie would have an easier time in the general? I see Christie being described as a Rhino all the time. That doesn't play well with the Tea Party types and the solidly right of center.

I agree. But wouldn't you agree that Perry would have an easier time in the GOP primaries and Christie would have an easier time in the general?

That exactly sums up why the Republicans have no chance to beat Hillary in 2016. The candidates with the best chances of defeating Hillary have no chance at surviving the primaries. The Tea Party will absolutely destroy Christie.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
I agree. But wouldn't you agree that Perry would have an easier time in the GOP primaries and Christie would have an easier time in the general? I see Christie being described as a Rhino all the time. That doesn't play well with the Tea Party types and the solidly right of center.

Oh for sure. That's why the GOP is screwed unless the national party works the system to basically give those extreme voters no choice in the primaries. Not going to happen, but that's what conservatives have to hope for.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Why would Democrats want to actively halt the destruction of the GOP?

It's all cyclical.

In the early 1980's, Carter all but destroyed the DNC, 30 years later, the opposite looks to be taking place.

The GOP will only die in it's current extreme form, but will rise and be recreated again, just as it always has.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
How many states is that allowed in these days?

And wouldn't Dems be interested in voting in their own primary in 2016?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Why would Democrats want to actively halt the destruction of the GOP?

Most states allow you declare on voting day which ballot to take. And most voters call themselves independents. Perhaps if I said if enough "middle of the road, democrat leaning" voters switched. A couple decades ago we called them "Reagan Democrats".

Christie needs to energize groups of middle of the road types who find partisan politics wrong and who do not vote to get out and vote in the primary to block the far right candidates from running roughshod over the party.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
GOP actually needs to produce viable candidates who can win. Might be good to start with a person of color/minority.

They would just be called an uncle tom, or told they don't really represent that race/ethnicity. Look at the people saying Ted Cruz isn't Latino. He is as much Latino as Obama is black.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
They would just be called an uncle tom, or told they don't really represent that race/ethnicity. Look at the people saying Ted Cruz isn't Latino. He is as much Latino as Obama is black.

Alpha that is projecting my friend. People just don't like Ted Cruz's politics. That Jindal character I heard would have been a good choice. My beef is, I don't think Republicans would allow a minority to represent their party.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
Alpha that is projecting my friend. People just don't like Ted Cruz's politics. That Jindal character I heard would have been a good choice. My beef is, I don't think Republicans would allow a minority to represent their party.

Allen West, Clarance Thomas and others would disagree with you. Jindal is OK but I think is a little too close on the evangelical side to get mainstream GOP to come over.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/business-pus...article/2536800

companies that have laid off thousands in recent years — Hewlett-Packard, Cisco, United Technologies, American Express, Procter & Gamble, T-Mobile, Archer-Daniels-Midland, Cigna, Texas Instruments and more — are also petitioning Congress for more immigrant workers. In all, representatives of more than 100 big U.S. corporations signed the letter.

Disgraceful. laying off workers then demanding an expansion to a government program that used to replace those workers with low cost guest workers. Will the Obama regime and his corrupt corporate buddies stop at anything to destroy the middle class?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
Allen West, Clarance Thomas and others would disagree with you. Jindal is OK but I think is a little too close on the evangelical side to get mainstream GOP to come over.

I'm sure they were all just gung ho for these guys too.