The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
During his 19 months of campaigning I can only recall Obama being asked about Rezco and his role in the purchase of his house once. Obama said, its a coincidence and that he may have mentioned the developers name to Tony in passing and that was all that there is to it. Now, I know libs will say its beating a dead horse, but that is irresponsible journalism. I know more about whats going on with a VP candidate of less than a weeks 17 year old daughter than I do about this. Since the media has such a hard on for Obama he never has to answer the tough questions. If theres anyone that thinks that there wasnt more to that real estate transaction than mentioning the developers name in passing I would like to hear about it. Also, if someone hasnt heard the story behind that deal, which would surprise me, I would be happy to elaborate and theres no way thats all that there was to it. Then, when we think we have Obama in a position to answer the tough questions, "That question is above my pay grade"

I mean seriously, this guy is running for President, is it too much to ask for him to have at least one interview where he is asked the tough questions and has to answer them? McCain aside, its insane that Obama has gone this long without having to address the Rezco situation, his relationship with Ayers etc.

For what it's worth, you're wrong. The Obama Campaign actually dealt with this about as well as they could. To try to make sure you can't truthfully say exactly what you just said, Obama sat down back in March with the Sun Times for 80 minutes and the Tribune for 90 minutes (the 2 papers in the country that quite frankly would know all the details of the story).

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
For what it's worth, you're wrong. The Obama Campaign actually dealt with this about as well as they could. To try to make sure you can't truthfully say exactly what you just said, Obama sat down back in March with the Sun Times for 80 minutes and the Tribune for 90 minutes (the 2 papers in the country that quite frankly would know all the details of the story).

Thanks for posting that. Ive never seen those interviews, which is actually still kind of my point. Im surprised those stories didnt get more attention. However, what I gather from the interview is that the corruption in the transaction that people like me suspected absolutely happened. Its kind of bothersome to think he is basically admitting to getting into shady business transactions with a convicted felon and that not only did it not gain national attention, but that nobody seems to care. Is this honestly less of a deal than Palins husband getting a DUI 20 years ago or the personal life of her daughter, becuase I know everybody knows about that stuff.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
Thanks for posting that. Ive never seen those interviews, which is actually still kind of my point. Im surprised those stories didnt get more attention. However, what I gather from the interview is that the corruption in the transaction that people like me suspected absolutely happened. Its kind of bothersome to think he is basically admitting to getting into shady business transactions with a convicted felon and that not only did it not gain national attention, but that nobody seems to care. Is this honestly less of a deal than Palins husband getting a DUI 20 years ago or the personal life of her daughter, becuase I know everybody knows about that stuff.

The story kind of started to die off after those stories came out, because once the extent of it became known, there wasn't that much else to speculate about.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
The story kind of started to die off after those stories came out, because once the extent of it became known, there wasn't that much else to speculate about.

I dunno. I think theres a lot more there and Im surprised not much is known about it. This is only from Wiki but it has some very interesting tidbits :

Antoin "Tony" Rezko (born 1955 in Aleppo, Syria) is an American political fundraiser, restaurateur, and real estate developer in Chicago, Illinois convicted on several counts of fraud and bribery in 2008. Rezko has been involved in fundraising for local Illinois Democratic and Republican politicians since the 1980s. He focused primarily on Chicago-area Democrats; for example, Rezko was one of Barack Obama's first major financial contributors. After becoming a major contributor to Rod Blagojevich's successful gubernatorial election, Rezko assisted Blagojevich in setting up the state's first Democratic administration in 20 years. Rezko was able to have business associates appointed onto several state boards. Rezko and several others were indicted on federal charges in October 2006, for using their connections to the state boards to demand kickbacks from businesses that wanted to do business with the state. While the others plead guilty to the charges, Rezko pled not guilty and was found guilty of 16 of the 24 charges filed against him.

So, Obama got his house at a huge discount while Rezco bought the land for full price, and then Rezco sold Obama some of the land and were to think a guy like Rezco did this out of the goodness of his heart? It was proven that Rezco had "business associates" appointed onto state boards because of his "fundraising" and were to think that he got nothing in return from Obama? Is this the "change" we can expect, because all it seems to me is more of the same. I know Im biased and/or wrong about a lot of things but there is no way that anyone can believe something really shady was going on here.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
I dunno. I think theres a lot more there and Im surprised not much is known about it. This is only from Wiki but it has some very interesting tidbits :

Antoin "Tony" Rezko (born 1955 in Aleppo, Syria) is an American political fundraiser, restaurateur, and real estate developer in Chicago, Illinois convicted on several counts of fraud and bribery in 2008. Rezko has been involved in fundraising for local Illinois Democratic and Republican politicians since the 1980s. He focused primarily on Chicago-area Democrats; for example, Rezko was one of Barack Obama's first major financial contributors. After becoming a major contributor to Rod Blagojevich's successful gubernatorial election, Rezko assisted Blagojevich in setting up the state's first Democratic administration in 20 years. Rezko was able to have business associates appointed onto several state boards. Rezko and several others were indicted on federal charges in October 2006, for using their connections to the state boards to demand kickbacks from businesses that wanted to do business with the state. While the others plead guilty to the charges, Rezko pled not guilty and was found guilty of 16 of the 24 charges filed against him.

So, Obama got his house at a huge discount while Rezco bought the land for full price, and then Rezco sold Obama some of the land and were to think a guy like Rezco did this out of the goodness of his heart? It was proven that Rezco had "business associates" appointed onto state boards because of his "fundraising" and were to think that he got nothing in return from Obama? Is this the "change" we can expect, because all it seems to me is more of the same. I know Im biased and/or wrong about a lot of things but there is no way that anyone can believe something really shady was going on here.

Dumb question: what state boards do senators get to appoint people to?

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 06:11 PM)

Well yeah, it was shady. Obama apparently never actually did anything illegal or below-board, and nothing came out from Rezko about Obama during the trial (but damn did Blago ever look like s*** after that), but Obama did acknowledge he made a mistake and that he should've known better. That's about all we know for now.

But I mean, frankly, with politicians these kinds of associations are a dime a dozen, and I would believe that literally everyone has a shady association somewhere, even the "clean" ones.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
Well yeah, it was shady. Obama apparently never actually did anything illegal or below-board, and nothing came out from Rezko about Obama during the trial (but damn did Blago ever look like s*** after that), but Obama did acknowledge he made a mistake and that he should've known better. That's about all we know for now.

But I mean, frankly, with politicians these kinds of associations are a dime a dozen, and I would believe that literally everyone has a shady association somewhere, even the "clean" ones.

It's actually pretty shocking that Obama only has this amount of scandal seeing that he's a Chicago politician. I do believe that Barack is a man of farily high character. Most politicians are going to have some shady connections ...

warning, snarky comment, read at your own risk :

just look at how shady Palin is having a pregnant daughter! for shame. good thing the media is showing her on tv every 5 minutes to shame her into oblivion

... but I do understand what Drunkbomber is getting at with his argument and I agree with him.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
It's actually pretty shocking that Obama only has this amount of scandal seeing that he's a Chicago politician. I do believe that Barack is a man of farily high character. Most politicians are going to have some shady connections ...

warning, snarky comment, read at your own risk :

just look at how shady Palin is having a pregnant daughter! for shame. good thing the media is showing her on tv every 5 minutes to shame her into oblivion

... but I do understand what Drunkbomber is getting at with his argument and I agree with him.

Imagine if Daley was running for president. lolz.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
Imagine if Daley was running for president. lolz.

The best Chicago Reader article I've ever seen started off with a 4 paragraph story of a boy taking his mother home from the hospital after their stepfather had beat her.

He asked her why she keeps going back. She replied, "It's not that bad".

And then it proceeded to talk about the s*** that Mayor Daley was doing. It was excellent.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)

I agree for the most part that politicians all have skeletons in their closet, I just honestly think that out of the 4 Palin definitely has by far the least. Also, I continue to bring up this stuff about Obama because it shows he is exactly the opposite of the platform he is campaigning on, which is different.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
I agree for the most part that politicians all have skeletons in their closet, I just honestly think that out of the 4 Palin definitely has by far the least.

I don't see how anyone can know that yet. We still know very little about her. Given her relatively young age, it may certainly be possible though.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
Also, I continue to bring up this stuff about Obama because it shows he is exactly the opposite of the platform he is campaigning on, which is different.

Exactly the opposite of his platform? How is that?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
I don't see how anyone can know that yet. We still know very little about her. Given her relatively young age, it may certainly be possible though.

Exactly the opposite of his platform? How is that?

That he is a different kind of politician and he is going to change things. He is just as corrupt as anyone, he isnt different, he is exactly the same.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
That he is a different kind of politician and he is going to change things. He is just as corrupt as anyone, he isnt different, he is exactly the same.

OK. I disagree, but, this being the Republican thread, I won't delve into that any further.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)
Another race card from the liberal side of things. Philly columnist promises full-fledged class and race war if McCain wins. If you aren't sure your guy is gonna win, threaten whitey.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opinion/20...eorge_Bush.html

I cant find it anywhere but I heard it on Fox News, but if anyone wants some insight on McCain, Sean "P Diddy, Puff Daddy, Diddy" Combs discusses why Palin isnt qualified because there are no black people or crack heads in Alaska.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
I cant find it anywhere but I heard it on Fox News, but if anyone wants some insight on McCain, Sean "P Diddy, Puff Daddy, Diddy" Combs discusses why Palin isnt qualified because there are no black people or crack heads in Alaska.

Come on now, does anyone really care what that dumb ass has to say?

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)

I think he hit the pipe before filming this.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
Another race card from the liberal side of things. Philly columnist promises full-fledged class and race war if McCain wins. If you aren't sure your guy is gonna win, threaten whitey.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opinion/20...eorge_Bush.html

I'd highly reccommend stocking up on ammunition now, because if for some reason Obama doesn't win, there is going to be hell in the streets.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:34 PM)
his fans?

If people are really going to base thier vote on Diddy's political analysis, then we really need to reconsider somehow limiting people's rights to vote. People that f***ing stupid barely deserve to breathe, much less vote, drive, breed..........

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 06:01 AM)
If people are really going to base thier vote on Diddy's political analysis, then we really need to reconsider somehow limiting people's rights to vote. People that f***ing stupid barely deserve to breathe, much less vote, drive, breed..........

Vote or die b****