• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did Obama misremember, or lie?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...a-inflates.html

Obama Inflates Role in Creation of Stimulus Package

September 16, 2008 7:04 PM

In Golden, Colo., today, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., took credit for the stimulus package that passed earlier this year.

"In January, I outlined a plan to help revive our faltering economy," Obama said, "which formed the basis for a bipartisan stimulus package that passed the Congress."

Is that true?

Democrats on Capitol Hill who support Obama say no.

Wanting Obama to win, however, none will say so on the record.

But media accounts from the time make it clear that even though Obama, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., all offered legislation to provide stimulus to the economy, congressional leaders looped them and their legislation out of negotiations.

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson worked with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kent.

"Pelosi and Reid seemed to be ignoring the detailed policy solutions being put out by her party's White House hopefuls," wrote the Washington Post on January 23.

"Among Reid's toughest tasks will be keeping Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., and Barack Obama, D-Ill. who are on the campaign trail touting proposals laden with ideas Republicans detest sidelined in the talks while Democrats seek broader agreement with the GOP," wrote the Associated Press the same day.

The bill passed 81-16 on February 7, 2008.

The Obama campaign argues that in January 2008, Obama "was the only candidate to propose a fiscal stimulus plan centered on tax rebate checks for the broad majority of Americans. The bipartisan bill that passed less than a month later was centered on rebate checks to the broad middle class along the lines of what Obama proposed."

That is true.

Obama proposed a tax rebate aimed at middle class families. Clinton’s approach, conversely, focused on specific programs targeted at individuak problems, such as home-heating and mortgage subsidies.

But though the bill that eventually passed more closely resembled Obama's than either Clinton's or McCain's, those involved in the drafting of the legislation say it was more a matter of agreeing on a good idea and was not a matter of, as Obama claimed, his proposal having "formed the basis for a bipartisan stimulus package that passed the Congress."

In Vienna, Ohio, this afternoon, McCain said that Obama today "claimed that the Congressional stimulus package was his idea. That’s news to those of us in Congress who supported it. Senator Obama didn’t even show up to vote."

That's true. (McCain was there, and he voted for it.)

Moreover, Obama today was guilty of inflating his role in the creation of that bill.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politic...0,6693167.story

Numbers offer perspective on voting records

By Tim Jones

September 14, 2008

Tribune correspondent

Sen. John McCain was one of President George W. Bush's biggest supporters last year, toeing the White House voting line 95 percent of the time in the Senate. You've probably heard this from Sen. Barack Obama, who has hammered away at this number to make his case that if you vote for McCain, you're effectively buying another four years of the unpopular Bush.

Numbers get thrown around a lot in every campaign, and this one appears to be the number of choice for Democrats. The 95 percent figure is accurate –it comes from an annual survey of voting by the non-partisan Congressional Quarterly, the publication that tracks the political business of official Washington.

The black and white presentation of numbers, attached to television ads and dropped into speeches, is powerful. But numbers obscure and sometimes belie the more nuanced and multiple-shades-of-gray that can define voting records. The Arizona Republican and the Illinois Democrat actually share common ground on issues that sharply divide Americans –gay marriage, global warming, embryonic stem-cell research, nuclear non-proliferation, government support of faith-based social services, government wiretapping, Immigration —and there's even some movement toward the center by both candidates on the Iraq War, regarding timetables for a troop pull-out.

To be sure, McCain and Obama have major disagreements on tax policy, health care, abortion, free trade and the kinds of justices each says he would appoint to the Supreme Court.

And each campaign has taken some substantial liberties with the truth with regard to the impact of tax plans, health care reforms and energy policy.

But in the next seven weeks, the public conversation will tack sharply to the black-and-white presentation because that's how image and message-driven campaigns have always been fought. Despite Ronald Reagan's aphorism that "facts are stubborn things," they can be subjective and dependent on context.

It's not always obvious, for example, whether a vote was "with Bush," "against Bush" or neither. Many of those votes were non-controversial. But—like the question of whether Sarah Palin sold a state plane on eBay, or why Obama canceled a visit with American troops in Germany—nuance is hardly welcome in partisan warfare.

And that's why numbers are so popular. With that in mind, here are some numbers and messages that will likely attain elevated status:

90 –The percentage of votes McCain cast with his Republican colleagues during 2007, which on the surface undermines his claim to high-profile maverick status within the Republican Party. In the first seven years of Bush's presidency, McCain has voted with his GOP colleagues an average of 80 percent of the time, and about 89 percent with Bush.

97 –The percentage of votes Obama cast with Senate Democrats last year, calling into question his own claims of being a new kind of Democrat. In three full years in the Senate, Obama voted with his Democratic colleagues an average of 97 percent of the time.

40 –The percentage of votes Obama cast last year in support of the White House. In his first three years in the Senate, Obama's votes support the administration ranged from a high of 49 percent (2006) to 33 percent (2005), according to the CQ analysis.

26 –The number of years that have passed since McCain was first elected to Congress. Obama frequently mentions this number to bolster his claim that McCain has had more than ample opportunity to implement the kinds of changes he now champions, and that he has squandered that opportunity. That argument, though, can lead to the next number.

36 –The number of years since Obama's running mate, Sen. Joe Biden, was first sent to the Senate. For all of the talk of changing the way Washington works, the records of McCain and Biden together can raise the question, "What have you been doing for the past three decades?"

72 --McCain's age, which so far has been the unspoken number in the campaign, though not from Obama's lips. Ageism is a sensitive issue in politics, partly because the older the person the more likely he or she is to vote. And memories linger from then 73-year-old President Ronald Reagan's skillful handling of the age issue during a 1984 debate with his 56-year-old Democratic opponent, Walter Mondale. "I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign," Reagan said. "I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." Still, McCain's age is a topic of general discussion, which leads to the next number.

47 –Obama's age, held out by critics as the political embodiment of too young and too inexperienced to be president. The force of that argument has diminished in recent weeks with the introduction of another number:

44 – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's age. Now the youth and inexperience argument is aimed at the Republican ticket because McCain, at age 72, would be the oldest American to start a first term in the White House. So where do the numbers end?

49 –Days left until the election, after which –depending on which campaign supporters you hear from—the world as we know it will forever be changed.

Wisconsin is another one of those states I wouldn't put enormous hopes on going red this year. But there are some interesting indicators - like the phone lines in the McCain-Palin office in Green Bay getting overloaded from calls requesting tickets for a rally Thursday. And Obama's lead in the state seems pretty modest lately.

Having said that, Milwaukee voter fraud — er, "vigorous Democratic turnout efforts" — should keep the state blue this year.

Wisconsin's Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen is suing the State Accountability Board, trying to get them to check all new voter registrations since Jan 1, 2006. People in the statewide voter database whose names don’t match up with information maintained by other state agencies would be forced to cast provisional ballots on Nov. 4 and must bring back proof of identification and address within 24 hours to ensure their votes count.

It will come as an enormous shock to you that the state Democratic Party is fighting this in court.

Now, mind you, this is exactly what Barack Obama did in his first race for public office, except he and his guys disqualified signatures under a much stricter standard — i.e., where the name was in print instead of cursive.

But apparently enforcing the law is partisan.

The elephants better have run flat tires on election day this time around.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)
Wisconsin is another one of those states I wouldn't put enormous hopes on going red this year. But there are some interesting indicators - like the phone lines in the McCain-Palin office in Green Bay getting overloaded from calls requesting tickets for a rally Thursday. And Obama's lead in the state seems pretty modest lately.

Having said that, Milwaukee voter fraud — er, "vigorous Democratic turnout efforts" — should keep the state blue this year.

Wisconsin's Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen is suing the State Accountability Board, trying to get them to check all new voter registrations since Jan 1, 2006. People in the statewide voter database whose names don’t match up with information maintained by other state agencies would be forced to cast provisional ballots on Nov. 4 and must bring back proof of identification and address within 24 hours to ensure their votes count.

It will come as an enormous shock to you that the state Democratic Party is fighting this in court.

Now, mind you, this is exactly what Barack Obama did in his first race for public office, except he and his guys disqualified signatures under a much stricter standard — i.e., where the name was in print instead of cursive.

But apparently enforcing the law is partisan.

Couple points in reply.

1. The McCain/Palin office clearly needs better telecom tech support. :lolhitting

2. Why do we want so badly to keep people from voting? Without knowing the details, I can already see a couple problems there. A person registers to vote with one name, and then another agency makes a mistake filing a document, or doesn't update their info after a name change, and you manage to keep them from voting.

The law is very clear. We don't let people vote twice. You vote twice under false names and you risk jail time. The fact that documents in some state agency are wrong does not mean that there is going to be a massive voter fraud scheme perpetrated on election day, nor does it mean people who try to commit fraud won't be arrested.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
Couple points in reply.

1. The McCain/Palin office clearly needs better telecom tech support. :lolhitting

2. Why do we want so badly to keep people from voting? Without knowing the details, I can already see a couple problems there. A person registers to vote with one name, and then another agency makes a mistake filing a document, or doesn't update their info after a name change, and you manage to keep them from voting.

The law is very clear. We don't let people vote twice. You vote twice under false names and you risk jail time. The fact that documents in some state agency are wrong does not mean that there is going to be a massive voter fraud scheme perpetrated on election day, nor does it mean people who try to commit fraud won't be arrested.

Haven't you seen all the ACORN stories about all the bogus registrations they try to get thru? makes you wonder how many DID get thru. if you register 100 people that don't exist, you can have anyone vote in their place with no ID check.

http://www.bizzyblog.com/2008/09/13/mccain...its-irrelevant/

‘McCain Canâ€t (i.e., Doesnâ€t) E-Mail†Claim Not Only a Lie; Itâ€s Irrelevant to the Presidency

Filed under: MSM Biz/Other Bias, Taxes & Government — TBlumer @ 10:39 am

John Stephenson at NewsBusters early this morning asked, “Will (the) Media Report Obamaâ€s Mocking of McCainâ€s Disability?”

The answer is “I doubt it,” at least beyond their blogs. Print edition or televised examples will be rare to non-existent.

Two other pertinent items will also probably be ignored:

* Bill Clintonâ€s acknowledged lack of tech skills and virtual non-use of e-mail.

* More important, the high likelihood that the next President of the United States, like his two predecessors, will rarely, if ever, use e-mail.

NB commenter “mikej” at Stephensonâ€s post did some web searching a falsely giddy Team Obama apparently didnâ€t have the time for (or do they not know how?). “mikej” found the following January 28, 2004 CNN Reuters item carried at CNN.com about Bill Clintonâ€s nearly non-existent e-mailing during his presidency (bolds after title are mine):

Clintonâ€s gift to Internet age: only 2 e-mails

The archives of the Bill Clinton presidential library will contain 39,999,998 e-mails by the former presidentâ€s staff and two by the man himself.

“The only two he sent,” Skip Rutherford, president of the Clinton Presidential Foundation, which is raising money for the library, said on Monday.

One of them may not actually qualify for electronic communication because it was a test to see if the commander in chief knew how to push the button on an e-mail.

Former Ohio Sen. John Glenn has the distinction of being the first American to orbit the Earth and the only person to receive an e-mail written by Clinton when he was in office.

The e-mail was sent with the help of Clinton staffers to the space shuttle while it was in orbit and Glenn was a part of the crew.

The bolded items show that Bill Clinton sent no official e-mails without assistance while he was president.

George W. Bush has also barely used e-mail as President, but it isnâ€t because he is unable.

An accessmylibrary.com item that isnâ€t available without a library membership indicates that Bush stopped e-mailing family and friends once he entered office.

Though I could not find evidence of it (maybe I need help from “mikej”), my memory is that he was advised to stop using e-mail completely upon inauguration.

Regardless, by the time this Wall Street Journal blog item appeared in October 2006, the president had virtually ceased using e-mail, for reasons that the new president will not, and more than likely should not, ignore (bold is mine):

In a CNBC interview with Maria Bartiromo, Bush was asked a question on many of our minds: Iâ€m curious, have you ever Googled anybody? Do you use Google?

According to CNBCâ€s unofficial transcript, he replied: Occasionally. One of the things Iâ€ve used on the Google is to pull up maps. Itâ€s very interesting to see that. I forgot the name of the program, but you get the satellite and you can — like, I kind of like to look at the ranch on Google, reminds me of where I want to be sometimes. Yeah, I do it some. He added: I tend not to email or — not only tend not to email, I donâ€t email, because of the different record requests that can happen to a president. I donâ€t want to receive emails because, you know, thereâ€s no telling what somebodyâ€s email may — it would show up as, you know, a part of some kind of a story, and I wouldnâ€t be able to say, ‘Well, I didnâ€t read the email.†‘But I sent it to your address, how can you say you didnâ€t?†So, in other words, Iâ€m very cautious about emailing.

While weâ€re at it, letâ€s make sure the full record of refutation is all in one place (bolds are mine):

(Boston Globe; March 4, 2000; via Ace and Sweetness & Light)

McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCainâ€s severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes.

(Forbes; May 29, 2000; via Ace and Jonah Goldberg at the Corner)

In certain ways, McCain was a natural Web candidate. Chairman of the Senate Telecommunications Subcommittee and regarded as the U.S. Senateâ€s savviest technologist, McCain is an inveterate devotee of email. His nightly ritual is to read his email together with his wife, Cindy. The injuries he incurred as a Vietnam POW make it painful for McCain to type. Instead, he dictates responses that his wife types on a laptop. “Sheâ€s a whiz on the keyboard, and Iâ€m so laborious,” McCain admits.

(New York Times; July 13, 2008; via Ed Morrissey at Hot Air)

Q: But do you go on line for yourself?

Mr. McCain: They go on for me. I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself. I donâ€t expect to be a great communicator, I donâ€t expect to set up my own blog, but I am becoming computer literate to the point where I can get the information that I need – including going to my daughterâ€s blog first, before anything else.

Letâ€s review:

* Barack Obama and his campaign took out an ad that, among other things, mocked opponent John McCainâ€s tech-savviness and inability to e-mail.

* It turns out that the inability to e-mail is due to McCainâ€s war-caused physical handicaps. In fact, McCain has been an e-mail devotee for at least eight years, receiving help from a loving spouse to respond to messages.

* It turns out that a credible argument can be made, as Jonah Goldberg at the Corner has, that McCain “actually has more cyber-cred than Obama.” What about “regarded as the US Senateâ€s savviest technologist” doesnâ€t Team Obama understand?

* Obama and his campaign used as its central claim McCainâ€s supposed inability to do something (which he actually does, with help) that the next president will probably continue not doing, or will at most do very rarely, for the reasons President Bush cited.

In the process, the Obama campaign and its candidate wasted time and money on an irrelevant claim, while exposing its deep-seated guttural instincts and thought processes for all the world to see.

Keep it up, guys and gals. On this one, it probably wonâ€t matter that traditional media will steadfastly ignore it.

Cross-posted at NewsBusters.org.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
Couple points in reply.

I'll repond after I get the turnips off my clothes.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
Biden says paying more taxes is 'patriotic'

So this would only affect people making 250K+ but I dont like that statement at all. It's basically saying that if you are fortunate enough to be wealthy and if you do not want to pay more taxes then you are an unpatriotic American.

Broken link.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
Biden says paying more taxes is 'patriotic'

So this would only affect people making 250K+ but I dont like that statement at all. It's basically saying that if you are fortunate enough to be wealthy and if you do not want to pay more taxes then you are an unpatriotic American.

If Biden feels he needs to pay more taxes, there is nothing stopping him from sending in extra.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
If Biden feels he needs to pay more taxes, there is nothing stopping him from sending in extra.

Which is totally unfair, Bush couldn't just pay less taxes, he had to get congress to approve his tax cut. ;) Then imagine what he went through to get an extra $300 in his pocket. :lolhitting

New Mexico:

The Bernalillo County clerk has notified prosecutors that some 1,100 possibly fraudulent voter registration cards have been turned in to her office.

Some cards in New Mexico’s most populous county have the same name as a voter who’s already registered, but carry a different birth date or Social Security number; some list someone else’s Social Security number; some have addresses that don’t exist, Clerk Maggie Toulouse Oliver said Wednesday.

In one case, a series of about nine cards appears to have been taken directly from the phone book, she said.

“Those are sort of the big red flags,” Toulouse Oliver said

Some of the estimated 1,100 registrations list Social Security numbers for people who already are in the county’s database of registered voters, Toulouse Oliver said. Other cards list the same name — but a different birth date — of already registered voters.

Some of the people whose names appear in the list of possibly phony registrations, when called by the clerk’s office, said they never filled out the new cards changing their voter data, Toulouse Oliver said.

In addition, “We do have a series of cards identified that appear to be (names) taken straight out of the phone book, Toulouse Oliver said.

Toulouse Oliver said the potential scope of the problem has mushroomed since late last month, when the Journal reported on a forged card for Rebecca Sitterly, a former state District Court judge from Albuquerque who has been voting in the same place for nearly two decades.

That card was submitted by the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN, a controversial nonprofit organization that says it has handled 72,000 new voter registrations in New Mexico since January.

Matthew Henderson, head organizer for the group, said the Sitterly card was set aside as a potential phony by ACORN itself and turned in to the clerk’s office with a batch of other possibly bad cards.

Toulouse Oliver said she did not know how many cards in the current stack of questionable registrations were submitted by ACORN, though she said that group this year has done the majority of so-called third-party registrations — those that aren’t turned in by the voters themselves but are submitted by groups organized to enlist new registrants.

ACORN contract workers in 2005 were investigated in connection with forged signatures on a minimum wage ballot petition, though ACORN supervisors have said political organizers now oversee the registration gathering and the group has beefed up its own quality control.

Nothing to see here, just community organizing. :D

"McCain Embraces Regulation After Many Years of Opposition"

"McCain Able to Skirt Limits of Federal Financing"

"McCain BlackBerry Easily Connects With Gore Internet"

"Palin Exaggerates Alaska's Energy Role"

Apparently Obama has fallen off the face of the Earth and the Wash. Post feels the need to only cover McCain, negatively of course. Just curious, you think they have any reporters working the ACORN stories in NM, Ohio,or MI.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
New Mexico:

The Bernalillo County clerk has notified prosecutors that some 1,100 possibly fraudulent voter registration cards have been turned in to her office.

Some cards in New Mexico’s most populous county have the same name as a voter who’s already registered, but carry a different birth date or Social Security number; some list someone else’s Social Security number; some have addresses that don’t exist, Clerk Maggie Toulouse Oliver said Wednesday.

In one case, a series of about nine cards appears to have been taken directly from the phone book, she said.

“Those are sort of the big red flags,” Toulouse Oliver said

Some of the estimated 1,100 registrations list Social Security numbers for people who already are in the county’s database of registered voters, Toulouse Oliver said. Other cards list the same name — but a different birth date — of already registered voters.

Some of the people whose names appear in the list of possibly phony registrations, when called by the clerk’s office, said they never filled out the new cards changing their voter data, Toulouse Oliver said.

In addition, “We do have a series of cards identified that appear to be (names) taken straight out of the phone book, Toulouse Oliver said.

Toulouse Oliver said the potential scope of the problem has mushroomed since late last month, when the Journal reported on a forged card for Rebecca Sitterly, a former state District Court judge from Albuquerque who has been voting in the same place for nearly two decades.

That card was submitted by the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN, a controversial nonprofit organization that says it has handled 72,000 new voter registrations in New Mexico since January.

Matthew Henderson, head organizer for the group, said the Sitterly card was set aside as a potential phony by ACORN itself and turned in to the clerk’s office with a batch of other possibly bad cards.

Toulouse Oliver said she did not know how many cards in the current stack of questionable registrations were submitted by ACORN, though she said that group this year has done the majority of so-called third-party registrations — those that aren’t turned in by the voters themselves but are submitted by groups organized to enlist new registrants.

ACORN contract workers in 2005 were investigated in connection with forged signatures on a minimum wage ballot petition, though ACORN supervisors have said political organizers now oversee the registration gathering and the group has beefed up its own quality control.

Nothing to see here, just community organizing. :D

Some of those instances (i.e. same name, different address/DOB) are probably quite common and not likely to be fraudulent. Some of those do sound pretty ridiculous, though. Just sayin', I doubt all 1100 are fraudulent. But I do hope they chase all 1100 down to check them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
Some of those instances (i.e. same name, different address/DOB) are probably quite common and not likely to be fraudulent. Some of those do sound pretty ridiculous, though. Just sayin', I doubt all 1100 are fraudulent. But I do hope they chase all 1100 down to check them.

Not saying they are, but with this fraud(ACORN) involved, I would check every registration they return.

ACORN is a very corrupt organization, and it defies logic that they haven't been investigated yet and that someone isn't in jail. But then again, the give big to Dems and like to register Deomcrats, real or fictional, so there is your answer.

I'm not sure of the exact details (I was doing some work while watching) but I saw on CSPAN some guy talking about how this election will be the first one where people go could vote out of their district or something and it is kind of a situation of 'get the votes now and sort things out later' type deal. He thinks it's going to be a big mess if the election is close and Obama and McCain have already amassed an army of lawyers.

I hope whoever wins does so in convincing fashion (which appears to be unlikely) as to avoid some big ordeal.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
ACORN is a very corrupt organization, and it defies logic that they haven't been investigated yet and that someone isn't in jail. But then again, the give big to Dems and like to register Deomcrats, real or fictional, so there is your answer.

They have faced prosecution before and have been convicted. Ironically, they were sentenced to community service in at least once case.

From wiki:

In some locations, ACORN employees have submitted false voter registration forms rather than obtaining registrations from actual eligible voters.

* In Ohio in 2004, four ACORN employees were indicted by a federal grand jury for submitting false voter registration forms.[16][17]

* In January 2005 two Colorado ACORN workers were sentenced to community service for submitting false voter registrations.[18] ACORN's regional director said, "we find it abhorrent and do everything we can to prevent it from happening."[19]

* On November 1, 2006, four part time ACORN employees were indicted in Kansas City, Missouri for voter registration fraud. Prosecutors said the indictments are part of a national investigation.[20] ACORN said in a press release that it is in part responsible in these individuals being caught, has fired them, and has cooperated and publicly supported efforts to look into the validity of the allegations.[21]

* ACORN was investigated in 2006 for submitting false voter registrations in St. Louis, Missouri. 1,492 fraudulent voter registrations were identified.[22][23]

* In 2007, five Washington state ACORN workers were sentenced to jail time.[24] ACORN agreed to pay King County $25 000 for its investigative costs and acknowledged that the national organization could be subject to criminal prosecution if fraud occurs again. According to King County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg, the misconduct was done "as an easy way to get paid [by ACORN], not as an attempt to influence the outcome of elections."[25][26]

* In 2008, the Michigan Secretary of State office told the Detroit Free Press that ACORN had been submitting a sizeable number of duplicate and fraudulent applications to vote.[27]

I join as a cosponsor of the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005, S. 190, to underscore my support for quick passage of GSE regulatory reform legislation. If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system, and the economy as a whole.

Now who in the world would have done such a thing?

Oh I know, the guy who doesn't know much about the economy.