The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
Yeah, I am the one posting it HERE, but it isn't Republicans or conservatives bringing it up out in the MSM.

I've heard some people not voting for Obama because he's Muslim and/or black. I've yet to hear someone not voting for McCain because he's white. Sad but true in 2008's America. It's wonderful we've come so far that he has a chance, but it still is not an even, race neutral contest, and probably never will be.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
Interesting. If the goofy ones like that are just a handful or some very small %, then I'd say its the same as any campaign. McCain probably has some too.

What would make it interesting though, is say, what % of the contributions were "questionable" in the eyes of the FEC.

The problem is that over half his donations are of the 'small' tyoe needing little or no documentation, so people can just keep donating in the name of ABC at 123 main street, over, and over, and over again.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail...laint_on_o.html

At the heart of the RNC complaint is a federal fundraising rule that lets campaigns accept donations under $200 without itemizing the names and addresses of the donors on its campaign finance reports. The rule was intended as a matter of practicality -- it did not seem reasonable to ask a campaign to gather that information from every five-dollar donor.

But the Obama campaign has raised more than $200 million this way, a staggering sum for donations that will not be subjected to outside scrutiny.

I hardly think McCain has raised anywhere near that amount of money in small donations or anything that isn't fully recorded. And Obama isn't exactly jumping forward with his records either.

This summer, watchdog groups asked both campaigns to share more information about its small donors. The McCain campaign agreed; the Obama campaign did not. "They could've done themselves a service" by heeding the suggestions, said Massie Ritsch of the Center for Responsive Politics.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
I've heard some people not voting for Obama because he's Muslim and/or black. I've yet to hear someone not voting for McCain because he's white. Sad but true in 2008's America. It's wonderful we've come so far that he has a chance, but it still is not an even, race neutral contest, and probably never will be.

BUt I have heard some say they are voting for him because he is black. And some say they are voting against McCain because he is old.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
BUt I have heard some say they are voting for him because he is black. And some say they are voting against McCain because he is old.

I couldn't imagine a relevant number of people not voting for McCain solely because of his age. It's probably a secondary reason if that. Race is unfortunately the #1 reason for too many people.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
The problem is that over half his donations are of the 'small' tyoe needing little or no documentation, so people can just keep donating in the name of ABC at 123 main street, over, and over, and over again.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail...laint_on_o.html

I hardly think McCain has raised anywhere near that amount of money in small donations or anything that isn't fully recorded. And Obama isn't exactly jumping forward with his records either.

The rules need to change. They should all be reported.

But I don't think its some grand conspiracy to bring in big money. I mean, if you are trying to pull off some sophisticated political money laundering, would you really be so stupid as to have people donating under those ridiculous identifications?

I think these are just doofus types.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
I couldn't imagine a relevant number of people not voting for McCain solely because of his age. It's probably a secondary reason if that. Race is unfortunately the #1 reason for too many people.

Well, this does bring up an interesting topic if you think about it. John McCain is a 72 year old man with a history of cancer. We've had more than a few cases in our history where the President has, thanks in no small part to his age, been at least partially incapacitated or at least not 100% in command of his faculties for the latter part of his term. Eisenhower, for example, suffered a mild stroke in 1957, while Reagan was probably feeling some effects of the Alzheimer's disease in his 2nd term, and in both cases their advisers sort of grabbed more power and ran things because of it. In other words, the country has gone on through this, but it's at least not unheard of.

Simple way to put it...if the person you agreed with more of the time was also quite elderly and potentially at the age where you would start worrying about those things, would that be enough to overcome some disagreements with the other candidate? (Note that I posed that question without bringing the quality of the VP in at all). Sort of another version of...in a crisis situation...even if you disagree with someone...would you trust them to make decisions better than a person who is having their age catch up to them?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
I understand your point Balta but how many people out there are thinking "Gosh I really love all of McCain's positions but he's just too old"?

Honestly, I don't know. But if my candidate was up there that far in age, and had his health history, and did with his Medical Records what Senator Mccain has done, that would certainly worry me.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Indeed. The Obama campaign has most likely set a new record for number of individual donors for a Presidential campaign (Tens of millions). There's a big difference between 100 donations like this and 10K.

Only 100? You sure about that?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
Interesting. If the goofy ones like that are just a handful or some very small %, then I'd say its the same as any campaign. McCain probably has some too.

FWIW, yeah.

The FEC sent a letter to Sen. John McCain's campaign treasurer Sept. 30 demanding the candidate turn over more information about "contributions that appear to exceed the limits."

The letter is accompanied by a nine-page list showing scores of overages from McCain's August campaign finance report, including nearly $13,000 from Texas rancher Ray R. Barrett Jr.; $9,200 from an Iraqi security consultant, H. Carter Andress; and $5,000 from Joseph F. Davolio, an executive at a major national liquor, beer, and wine distributor.

I wonder how much work the FEC typically does after an election to make sure these things get cleaned up. We did see a number of people go down seriously for contribution related issues over the last couple years (a chunk of the Abramoff scandal).

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)

not this again....

yea, the elections in recent history are almost always close because the country is completely polarized. but of course it's close this time because everyone voting for McCain is a racist. Actually, it's not really that close from what I can tell. Obama could win in a blowout.

makes perfect sense, though, McCain supporters = racist. sells more newspapers. run with it!

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Name: HKVKV, K VKN K V City: KHVKHVHKVHKV State: HI Employer: GH Occupation: GF

Another interesting donation is: HDUSAHFD, DAHSUDHU

He (could it be SHE?) gave $7,597.59 in July and August of this year. Works for: CZXVC Occupation: ZXVZXV

Now if this is the level of fraud being reported, what the heck is buried in the over $200 million in WALKING AROUND MONEY?

i know obama supporters will write this off just as some fluke. but this is a serious issue.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
I understand your point Balta but how many people out there are thinking "Gosh I really love all of McCain's positions but he's just too old"?

Well I know I am very uncomfortable with McCain's age and if I agreed with Obama's positions a little more my decision on who i'd be voting for would be a lot more difficult. I'm sure there are those who, if McCain was 10 years younger, would vote for him who arent planning to right now.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
i know obama supporters will write this off just as some fluke. but this is a serious issue.

It's a serious issue that cuts both ways.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail...ml?hpid=topnews

While the Republican Party is pushing the Federal Election Commission to investigate the possibility that Democrat Barack Obama collected excessive contributions, its own candidate is facing scrutiny on the same subject.

The FEC sent a letter to Sen. John McCain's campaign treasurer Sept. 30 demanding the candidate turn over more information about "contributions that appear to exceed the limits."

The letter is accompanied by a nine-page list showing scores of overages from McCain's August campaign finance report, including nearly $13,000 from Texas rancher Ray R. Barrett Jr.; $9,200 from an Iraqi security consultant, H. Carter Andress; and $5,000 from Joseph F. Davolio, an executive at a major national liquor, beer, and wine distributor.

"Please inform the Commission of your corrective action immediately in writing and provide photocopies of any refund checks and/or letters reattributing or redesignating the contributions in question," the letter from the FEC's senior campaign finance analyst, Leah S. Palmer, says. "The acceptance of excessive contributions is a serious problem."

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7012549017

Burton also reminded voters that Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) "has had to return over $1.2 million to donors who potentially violated the law with their contributions."

McCain returned about $50,000 worth of campaign contributions two months ago amid questions about how two oil company owners, one of whom is not a U.S. citizen, raised the money.

A Washington Post report said Harry Sargeant, owner of an oil trading company that awarded a contract to transport fuel to U.S. forces in Iraq, and his business partner, Mustafa Abu Naba'a, who holds dual citizenship in the Dominican Republic and Jordan, solicited money Arab Americans in California.

Should the rules be changed? Probably. But to sit there and pretend that only one campaign is having fundraising legality issues is somewhat disingenuous.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
The ACORN flow chart:

http://justsaynodeal.com/acorn.html

Barnet Frank is the biggest pud in Washington. He dates an executive from Fannie for 7 years and says there is no conflict of interest.

I think even the dems on the board would agree with that. Right Rex?

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
The ACORN flow chart:

http://justsaynodeal.com/acorn.html

Barnet Frank is the biggest pud in Washington. He dates an executive from Fannie for 7 years and says there is no conflict of interest.

Is Barnet Frank related to Barney Frank? :unsure:

:lol:

By extension, every elected official has a conflict of interest when they date sice every business is affected by their actions. They just have to know when to sit out debate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
Honestly, I don't know. But if my candidate was up there that far in age, and had his health history, and did with his Medical Records what Senator Mccain has done, that would certainly worry me.

Well your candidate isn't up there in age, but in my opinion he does have some mental health issues. He chose to associate himself with a known terrorist and a racist pastor for 20+ years. I don't need to see his health records for that.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
Well your candidate isn't up there in age, but in my opinion he does have some mental health issues. He chose to associate himself with a known terrorist and a racist pastor for 20+ years. I don't need to see his health records for that.

Didn't take you long to jump on the known terrorist thing eh?

The McCain campaign may be willing to be that low, but I'd hope the educated masses of Soxtalk can ignore that one as the complete BS it is. Reverend Wright, go ahead, continue, that one was stupid. However, Ayers, at the time of his association with Obama (nothing more than an acquaintance, mind you), was a well-respected man within Chicago. Not only that, but he does not have a single conviction on his record...

Edited by Steve9347