The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)
Well, I think having CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, and most of the nations news papers filled with pro-Democrat journalists is a win for the Dems. The coverage is totally pro-Dem. I had a similar debate with someone, but she was convinced that FOX news is completely unbiased; nothing could convince her otherwise. Oh well. And this will be studied and the analysis of the MSM will be obvious; a strong pro-Democrat bias in the news media. As The Gorace would say, "The debate is over".

At this point, totally unbiased would appear as liberal biased because the GOP has made the public super sensitive to anything that is negative towards them or positive for the Dems.

Look back at the letter that GOP leaders sent to the NYT, if you believe their numbers, and I do, the majority of Americans believe the media is biased against the GOP. So I cannot agree that having pro-dem journalists is a win for the Dems. The GOP has turned it into a big victory for themselves.

A recent Rasmussen Reports poll shows that 49% of respondents believe the media will actively attempt to assist Senator Obama's campaign, compared to just 14% who say the media will try to help Senator McCain. With this in mind, one would think conveying impartiality would be particularly important in this specific instance for an op-ed page currently edited by a former speechwriter for former President Bill Clinton.

If, despite this alarming indictment of the media's integrity by the American public,

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
At this point, totally unbiased would appear as liberal biased because the GOP has made the public super sensitive to anything that is negative towards them or positive for the Dems.

the exact same argument the FOX news defender used :lol:

The just of it was that the media is slanted so far to the left that anything in the middle would be considered right wing biased in comparison.

When in reality both the MSM and FOX are slanted. FOX is basically a retaliation network to the pro-Democrat bias in the MSM. But when some people see things on TV that they agree with, they automatically assume it's non-biased and true reporting, when that may not be the case.

and this is really beating a dead horse now, as this is like the 1 millionth 'liberal media' debate in the filibuster

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 06:07 PM)
the exact same argument the FOX news defender used :lol:

The just of it was that the media is slanted so far to the left that anything in the middle would be considered right wing biased in comparison.

When in reality both the MSM and FOX are slanted. FOX is basically a retaliation network to the pro-Democrat bias in the MSM. But when some people see things on TV that they agree with, they automatically assume it's non-biased and true reporting, when that may not be the case.

and this is really beating a dead horse now, as this is like the 1 millionth 'liberal media' debate in the filibuster

Whether the media is biased or not, the GOP has won the battle. I'm not certain if it is more amazing they won over an unbiased or biased media.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
Whether the media is biased or not, the GOP has won the battle. I'm not certain if it is more amazing they won over an unbiased or biased media.

They are certainly biased in their political contributions.

http://www.ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles.as...301702713742569

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/pos...mFmZWQ5OGJjMjk=

ARACK OBAMA

Obama Flip-Flops on Moving U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem

Fox News:

Obama supports moving the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem, the aides added, but noted that the language at AIPAC was not “optimal phrasing,” although not a substantive change in his position.

Obama to ABC News' Charlie Gibson, yesterday:

Gibson: If you were president would you move the US embassy to Jerusalem?

Obama: Charlie, you know I think we're going to work through this process before we make these kinds of decisions.

Gibson: Aren't these things that you've thought through in your head?

Obama: Well, they are, but they aren't necessarily things that I should say on Charlie Gibson's evening news.

All of Barack Obama statements have an expiration date. All of them.

I don't know quite what to make of this one...

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/pos...GZhZDRiOTMwN2Y=

The Complaint Against Obama Filed With the Illinois Bar

Some anonymous figure has filed a complaint with the Illinois Bar Association, charging Obama with:

a) making a statement of material fact in connection with a bar application that the applicant knows to be false; B) committing a criminal act that reflects adversely on the lawyer's fitness to practice law; c) engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation; d) engaging in conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice; and e) engaging in conduct which brings the courts or the legal profession into disrepute.

The complaint charges Obama with not admitting his drug use on his application.

18. Have you ever, either as an adult or juvenile, been cited,

arrested, accused, formally or informally, or convicted of any

violation of any law other than moving traffic violations.

In response to question 18, it is understood the Respondent answered

"no." The Respondent did not disclose his multiple drug use occurring

through his time in high school and college.

Interesting. One wonders how the anonymous complaint filer knows that Obama answered "no."

This part of the complaint is almost an "in-joke":

The following individuals have personal knowledge of, or access to

documentation of these facts:

William Shaheen, Esquire

Shaheen & Gordon, P.A.

P.O. Box 977

140 Washington Street, 2nd Floor

Dover, NH 03821-0977

(603) 749-1838 fax

(603) 749-5000 phone

wshaheen@shaheengordon.com

Shaheen, of course, is the husband of the former governor of New Hampshire, a Hillary supporter who wondered aloud in front of reporters if Obama ever dealt drugs.

Readers may recall my earlier questions about Obama's bar application. But in case anyone's wondering, no, I didn't file the complaint.

UPDATE: A couple of legal-minded readers point out that the question on the bar application is pretty specifically about run-ins with the law. Unless young Obama ran into the law over his use of cocaine, etc., he can honestly answer "no." And if Obama has some long-lost, long-sealed, conviction for drug possession or distribution, are we to believe that the Hillary Clinton campaign never found it? Theoretically possible, but not terribly plausible.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
The question there is pretty clear. If he doesn't have a criminal record for drug use, he answers no. It didn't ask "have you ever used drugs?"

Well, I guess it's always possible he might have a history that hasn't yet been disclosed. Bush had a DUI that didn't come out until the week before the election in 2000 IIRC.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
Well, I guess it's always possible he might have a history that hasn't yet been disclosed. Bush had a DUI that didn't come out until the week before the election in 2000 IIRC.

And I laughed about that. Who cares about something he did 30 years ago?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
The question there is pretty clear. If he doesn't have a criminal record for drug use, he answers no. It didn't ask "have you ever used drugs?"

The above answer is not a lie, but Obama clearly lied on TV yesterday:

Obama continued:

Now, in terms of knowing my commitments, you don't have to just look at my words, you can look at my deeds. Just this past week, we passed out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee, which is my committee, a bill to call for divestment from Iran, as a way of ratcheting up the pressure to ensure that they don't obtain a nuclear weapon.

But Obama is not a member of that committee.... Those damn teleprompters, I hate when they lie... Full coverage from the MSM to follow. :lol:

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
The above answer is not a lie, but Obama clearly lied on TV yesterday:

Obama continued:

Now, in terms of knowing my commitments, you don't have to just look at my words, you can look at my deeds. Just this past week, we passed out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee, which is my committee, a bill to call for divestment from Iran, as a way of ratcheting up the pressure to ensure that they don't obtain a nuclear weapon.

But Obama is not a member of that committee.... Those damn teleprompters, I hate when they lie... Full coverage from the MSM to follow. :lol:

The messiah just made a mistake...

Israeli Reporter Throws Fastball Down the Middle of the Plate... [Greg Pollowitz]

...swing and a miss:

An Israeli journalist called out to Obama: “Can you ensure that there will be no second Holocaust?”

Obama walked into the museum’s main building without responding.

And there was a second fastball:

Once again an Israeli journalist asked the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee how he’d help prevent a second Holocaust. "Senator can you assure Israel that there will be no second Holocaust despite Iran's threat to wipe us off the map?" he asked.

Obama demurred, saying that it wasn't appropriate to answer the question there.

"This is Yad Vashem!" the journalist responded.

Obama said he would answer the question at a later press availability.

Strike two...

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
hmm, what's worse, that...or claiming expertise in Iraq when you can't even get the timeline correct on the surge. Or Shia or Sunni.

Give me a qoute of MCCain claiming he is an expert on IRAQ.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
I know its the National Enquirer but did anyone read about their confrontation with Edwards at the Hilton in Los Angeles. Waiting for coverage from the press.

I read the version on Slate. Interesting to say the least, especially with his wife being one of his biggest campaign props. If its true is really takes all of that crap about life changing experiences and flushes them down the toilet once and for all, because there would be no bigger kick in the face of his wife than to cheat on her. I really hope that it isn't true.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/story?i...8351&page=1

McCain Closes Gap in Battleground States, Eyes Running Mate Pick

Obama Concludes Whirlwind Tour in France, England Before Returning Home

By MARK MOONEY

July 25, 2008

While Sen. Barack Obama was being feted in Kabul, Baghdad, Amman and Berlin this week, Sen. John McCain was picking up support in places like Minnesota, Colorado and Michigan.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., may pick his running mate as early as next week while speculation abounds that Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., who returns from abroad this weekend, has narrowed his vice presidential choices as well.

Obama's tour of the Mideast and Europe has dominated the headlines, and his high-power schedule seemed to dwarf McCain's effort at publicity each day. As Obama spoke before 200,000 cheering Germans in Berlin, the Arizona Republican stumped in the Schmitz Sausage Haus und Restaurant in Columbus, Ohio.

The publicity mismatch continues on the final day of Obama's whirlwind tour as the Democratic candidate meets with French President Nicolas Sarkozy and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown. McCain, meanwhile, will sit down with the Dalai Lama in Aspen, Colorado.

Success Abroad, Doubts Linger at Home

Despite being treated like a head of state elsewhere, Obama has not yet been able to eliminate doubts among U.S. voters in key battleground states that may decide the election.

Four Quinnipiac/Wall Street Journal/Washington Post.com battleground state polls released this week found that Obama's 17-point lead over McCain in the swing state of Minnesota has been cut to two points.

In a June poll, McCain trailed Obama by five points in Colorado, the state where the Democrats will hold their nominating convention next month. But Quinnipiac's latest survey indicates that McCain has pulled ahead by two points.

McCain has also nibbled Obama's lead in Michigan from six points to four. But Obama continues to hold a commanding 50-39 lead in Wisconsin.

ABC News' senior Washington correspondent George Stephanopoulos says McCain's gains in Michigan are significant.

"You have this disconnect between what we see overseas and the fact that some polls are softening at home in some key states," he said.

"Michigan is key to his electoral strategy. If he can steal that state from the Democrats, he's got a great chance of winning," Stephanopoulos told GMA.

Back on Home Turf, Focus on Domestic Issues

The effects of Obama's weeklong world tour, like Thursday's remarkable turnout in Berlin, has yet to be calculated among American voters. It was intended to bolster Obama's standing among voters as a potential world leader, and Obama did not make any gaffes that could have hurt him.

"The trip on its own terms was a clean success," ABC News' senior Washington correspondent George Stephanopoulos told "Good Morning America" on Friday.

But Stephanopoulos noted that the Illinois senator and his team realize that the election will also turn on domestic issues.

"They know they have to make a hard turn now on the economy," Stephanopoulos said on "GMA."

The Veepstakes Is Coming!

As Obama returns home and McCain mulls a manuever to wrestle back the spotlight, the candidates are moving towards the next big moment in the campaign: picking their running mates.

The Washington Post reported Friday that McCain is ready to announce his pick and that it would be made before the Aug. 8 start of the Olympics.

The short list reportedly includes former presidential rival and one-time Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who is also a native of Michigan, where his father served as a popular governor of the Wolverine State in the late 1960s.

Also at the top of McCain's list: Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, a young moderate governor of a Democratic-leaning state that McCain could aim to pick off in November, and former Pennslyvania Gov. Tom Ridge, who served as the first Secretary of Homeland Security but whose pro-abortion rights stance could rile conservatives.

Republican longshots include former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, the city's current mayor, Michael Bloomberg, and one-time Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Lieberman.

Stephanopoulos said he believes Obama will announce his pick in mid-August with the leading contenders believed to be Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, and New York Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Stephanopoulos said of Clinton: "Eighteen million votes, it's hard to take her off the list. But all the indications are that she is not Barack Obama's top choice."

How did Bush handled his cocaine use? I think he denied it, much like Clinton. Both lied and we know it. Seriously, how many candidates in this age range have not used drugs at some point in their lives? McCain was in Vietnam, it would be amazing if he didn't smoke pot. And how many voters in this age range also did illegal drugs? Sorry, I just can't get excited over this issue.

I've always given every candidate a free pass on most misstatements. They say so much in the course of a campaign, and damn near every word is recorded and dissected. It's amazing they don't trip up more often. So when I give a pass to my man McCain, it will not be hypocritical.