Why No Conservatives in Media?

Texsox

If there is such a huge market with conservatives, why don't more conservatives buy newspapers and such or get jobs as writers? Currently it seems the media is 90% liberal, you would think a few more conservatives would get in the act.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
Funny, every July or August, he suddenly becomes "conservative". Kind of like....

oh nevermind...

I've been a McCain supporter for about 8 years now. Been pretty damn consistent for a couple years now on which candidates I wanted.

Seriously, Republicans have cried liberal bias in the media for two decades now. Every time something negative is printed, the first words are liberal media bias. We all know there are successful Republican business owners who could buy media outlets. There obviously is a huge market waiting for biased conservative coverage like Rush. Yet somehow, that market is never filled. I believe Republicans understand it is far better to be able to duck behind media bias then to actually solve it. Nothing like having communists, homosexuals, feminazis, wacko environmentalist tree huggers, and the media as enemies.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
There obviously is a huge market waiting for biased conservative coverage like Rush. Yet somehow, that market is never filled.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/

Well, that seemed to fill out the cable news thing for Republicans. They'll claim the are totally non-biased, and a lot of Republicans actually believe that.

Also talk radio (as you mentioned). And Drudge on the internet.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more conservative news outlets, as long as they are popular like the ones i mentioned before.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 11:47 PM)
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/

Well, that seemed to fill out the cable news thing for Republicans. They'll claim the are totally non-biased, and a lot of Republicans actually believe that.

Also talk radio (as you mentioned). And Drudge on the internet.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more conservative news outlets, as long as they are popular like the ones i mentioned before.

I don't consider the Drudge Report to be either liberal or conservative.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:51 AM)
I don't consider the Drudge Report to be either liberal or conservative.

Drudge is far more likely to link to articles with a conservative slant, and well, if you listened to his radio show, you would know why.

I still believe it is a far more useful strategy for the Republicans to attack the messenger every time a negative article appears then having supporters in the media. Far easier to divert attention by screaming media bias. IMHO this is the greatest political strategy of all time, and on a huge scale. It is amazing.

I think part of the problem is the extreme polarization of "party politics". Republican is branded as "far right, religious bible thumpers, who only care about the upper class". Democrats are branded as "far left, baby killing, agnostic, homosexual sex loving freaks".

So, when a news person or organization skews even a HAIR to the left, they are automatically the "liberal media".

I would argue that most "liberal media" are more inline with mainstream America than most people might think.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:51 AM)
I don't consider the to be either liberal or conservative.

When that happens, that news source probably very closely approximates your political views.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:07 AM)
I've become pretty convinced that more than any ideology, narrative and ratings is what drives media outlets.

kipwellsfan wins. But we all lose.