Dodgers Showcasing Andy LaRoche

striker

I like the idea of trading Fields and letting Crede walk, and trading for LaRoche as the long term replacement. Fields stock is probably worth more than LaRoche despite a bad year in AAA this year.

How about Fields + Haegar for Street, Broadway/MacDougal for LaRoche. Think I'd get any bites?

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
I like the idea of trading Fields and letting Crede walk, and trading for LaRoche as the long term replacement. Fields stock is probably worth more than LaRoche despite a bad year in AAA this year.

How about Fields + Haegar for Street, Broadway/MacDougal for LaRoche. Think I'd get any bites?

Why would any team give you anything remotely useful for MacDougal and Broadway. They have been beyond terrible.

For LaRoche, you are probably looking at Poreda as the main chip there. LaRoche has hit in the minors, but not the majors and is not having a great year this year in the minors. If you would trade Poreda and say another solid prospect, you could have a deal. But McDougal blows and can't get AAA hitter out and Broaday is the same right now. That type of package could net you Willie Harris...maybe.

Kemp and LaRoche would be a nice package to go after.

Fields + Konerko + Poreda maybe. The Dodgers could always move Loney back to a corner OF spot.

The Dodgers do need power hitters in the worst way possible.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Kemp and LaRoche would be a nice package to go after.

Fields + Konerko + Poreda maybe. The Dodgers could always move Loney back to a corner OF spot.

The Dodgers do need power hitters in the worst way possible.

If you want to make an interesting offer to the Dodgers, throw Crede and Cabrera at them and see if they bite. You'd be able to get Kemp and another prospect or two (which you could use to target a starting pitcher the club would have interest in).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
If you want to make an interesting offer to the Dodgers, throw Crede and Cabrera at them and see if they bite. You'd be able to get Kemp and another prospect or two (which you could use to target a starting pitcher the club would have interest in).

Personally, I would like them to try to turn Cabrera into Brian Roberts. A 3 way with the Dodgers mak be able to do that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
Personally, I would like them to try to turn Cabrera into Brian Roberts. A 3 way with the Dodgers mak be able to do that.

Why when the Dodgers are offering a superior player in Kemp. The Sox should be able to acquire Roberts without giving up one current major leaguer (Package involving Fields, SP prospect, Richar). If you want to trade OC you better be getting a very good young player in return (otherwise I'll take the 2 picks). The Sox should not trade OC for an aging ball-player.

Now if you could hypothetically make a 3 way trade with the O's in which:

Sox: Kemp, Roberts

Dodgers: OC, Crede (I don't know if they want Joe and if they don't the deal could obviously still work, Sox would just have to give up more)

Orioles: Fields (or LaRoche, depending on there preference), Richar (or Getz), Broadway/Egbert (one of those guys as I'd hold out on giving up Poreda unless the Sox were getting a solid prospect in return or a Daniel Cabrera type pitcher).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
Why when the Dodgers are offering a superior player in Kemp. The Sox should be able to acquire Roberts without giving up one current major leaguer (Package involving Fields, SP prospect, Richar). If you want to trade OC you better be getting a very good young player in return (otherwise I'll take the 2 picks). The Sox should not trade OC for an aging ball-player.

I think Roberts is the better leadoff hitter, and is a good defensive secondbaseman. Move Ramirez to SS, plus Roberts isn't a FA after this season and you are better off this year and next. The Sox are not trading Konerko or Thome whether everyone likes it or not. They won't bench Swisher, Quentin or Dye. Kemp will have no place to play. This way you send Dodger prospects to Baltimore, maybe throw in a fringe player and your minor leagues are no worse for wear and IMO you have improved your team. As fathom pointed out, the Sox seem to go how Cabrera goes, and to a certain extent it was that way with Podsednik. Get a real leadoff guy and see what happens. I also highly doubt the Dodgers would give up Kemp for 2 months of Cabrera.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
Wow LaRoche under the instruction of Greg Walker....man it would probably ruin what ever career he may have left.

No kidding. Look how terrible Quentin and Ramirez ended up being.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
We always talk about Kemp. Are the Dodgers willing to trade that guy?

Any time the local papers are sporting columns saying "The team shouldn't trade player x", that usually means that if the right deal comes along they'll trade him.

And so goes the development of Matt Kemp. Future superstar, who is still learning, or the ultimate heartbreaker, who never lives up to expectations?

I asked Torre, based on his lifelong baseball knowledge, to hazard a guess on which way Kemp will go, and surprisingly he began talking about former Dodger and Angel, Devon White.

"Whitey Herzog once told me, he's the kind of player that gets a manager fired," Torre said, and so I said, I can see the headline now: "Torre predicts Kemp to get him fired."

Instead of ripping pen and notebook out of my hand and asking for an interview do-over, Torre let his story linger as is -- the great promise of Kemp in reality meaning a whole lot to a whole lot of people around here.

"You can't teach what he does; when he hits the ball, it stays in the air a long time," Torre said, but obviously it would help if he hit the ball more often.

The trading deadline looms, and those who think Kemp doesn't work as hard as he should and who believe he's a bad influence on the other young players contend the Dodgers and the locker room would be much improved if they could use him in making a significant deal.

How do you like the chances of Ned Colletti swinging a significant deal to help the Dodgers?

There are some folks around here, Page 2 included, who still think Kemp is going to be a superstar, the best of the best young players on the roster, and it's only a matter of more time and experience.

"I don't want to go anywhere," said Kemp, who turns 24 in September. "Everything everyone is saying, I've said to myself a million times. I'm too aggressive, maybe it's a lack of concentration at times, maybe I need a better plan at the plate, maybe I'm too power-happy. I've gone over it all."

The Dodgers have thrown five hitting instructors at Kemp the last two years: Eddie Murray, Bill Mueller, Mike Easler and now Jeff Pentland and Don Mattingly. Funny thing, the Dodgers aren't big into consistency, and yet that's what they want out of their players.

"I listen to people," Kemp said, still very much the headstrong youngster, "But I'm the one who has to do it."

In the first game of this series, he came to the plate six times and didn't strike out -- his home run contributing to a Dodgers victory.

Kemp began Saturday's game with a strikeout, then singled, was robbed of an extra-base hit by left fielder Conor Jackson and singled again before ending the game. The ups and downs with someone packing so much potential, and yet there remains no guarantee there will ever be a consistent payoff.

So what do the Dodgers do?

I say send Colletti on a vacation until after the trading deadline. And maybe send Andruw Jones with him.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
Konerko is about as good as a AAA hitter. Actually, he sucks.

Whenever Paul Konerko comes up in discussion, ignore it. He obviously pissed in coffee every morning and then broke down the door when you were taking a s*** on several occasions too, and you've been waiting for him to struggle so you could rip into him every second you could.

I'm gonna say stop now because it's annoying as hell.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Yeah I am sure Walker helped those two learn how to hit... :lolhitting

You mean Quentin, who hit somewhere around .230 and was a below average hitter in 450 PAs for Arizona? No, Quentin just figures everything out himself and doesn't ask anybody for advice.

Alexei Ramirez started his career 4 for 35 and was an absolutely terrible ballplayer; perhaps it was just adjusting to MLB pitching, but it'd be asinine to assume that he has learned everything all on his own.

Oh, and anybody who doesn't give Walker any credit for Dye is fooling themselves too. Dye was always a good but not great hitter, but thanks to the training staff here for keeping him relatively healthy over the years and the hitting support, Dye has turned into one of the most underrated hitters in the league. Among RFers over the past 3 years combined, I would venture to guess he is one of the top 3 in the AL.

I'm not a fan of Walker either, but give the man credit where credit is due. If Cooper gets credit for Danks and Floyd and Vazquez and the bullpen, Walker can atleast get a little bit of credit for Alexei and Quentin and Dye, can't he?

The Dodgers aren't going to move Kemp unless they get better this year and that means they are either getting a freaking stud 3Bman or more preferably (from the Dodgers perspective) an all star type of shortstop. Nowhere in that deal do they get it.

Had the Sox offered up Konerko/OC/Poreda for Laroche and Kemp you'd possibly get them to bite (and them to be willing to actually take on Paulie's contract).

Konerko's got what $13M a season for 2 years left after his deal.

And he'll only agree to get traded to a West Coast team I'd imagine. The Dodgers may be the best opportunity to dump him here.

But you know that KW has tried to get make the core group of this team younger, so if there's a chance to get Kemp or LaRoche, I think he'll certainly look into it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
I'm not a fan of Walker either, but give the man credit where credit is due. If Cooper gets credit for Danks and Floyd and Vazquez and the bullpen, Walker can atleast get a little bit of credit for Alexei and Quentin and Dye, can't he?

Absolutely not. He's a terrible hitting coach and we should fire him yesteryear. Quentin was already as stud coming from Arizona. Alexei was already a Cuban pro...clearly similar talent than the MLB. Dye figured it out himself because he's a veteran. Oh, and Joe Crede's 1st full year was with Walker as a hitting coach. Crede figured it out on his own as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
I'm gonna say stop now because it's annoying as hell.

^^^^^

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
Oh, and anybody who doesn't give Walker any credit for Dye is fooling themselves too. Dye was always a good but not great hitter, but thanks to the training staff here for keeping him relatively healthy over the years and the hitting support

Props to HERM!!