Chris Williams agrees to terms

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
Tillman, Kreutz, Dvoracek, and another player didn't show, either. Things looking up already...

Tillman's locked up and Dvoracek has been injured his two years, don't know why they wouldn't be there.

I'm glad that Williams is here, and the Bears would be dumb to not have seen Hester holding out.

From Twitter

cst_bears Center olin kreutz is not in uniform. He looks fine but will not be practicing without a helmet. about 1 hour ago from txt

cst_bears No sign of charles tillman on the practice field. We know his absence has nothing to do with cash. 9 minutes ago from txt

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
This is Urlachers Fault for b****ING and JA's Fault for giving in. Should have traded him. Believe it or not , principles go a LONG way. Have fun being a DOORMAT JA!

Didn't the Bears actually step up when it came to Urlacher or man up. Urlacher held out and the Bears didn't really get serious with Brian until he finally returned to the team and at that point the Bears stepped up and made an offer that will keep him in Chicago for what will likely be the remainder of his career.

In fact, in this instance can you really blame Hester. He's scheduled to make like 425K. Yes thats more than most of us make but given that he's the top performer at his position (EVER) and now opening camp as one of the starting WR's I would expect to get paid more. Especially when he's yet to get a "set for the rest of his life" deal.

I expect a short term type of extension where the Bears give him more money up front and agree on negotiating again a year or two from now (basically a 2 year extension from his current deal with a good chunk of guaranteed money) when he's proven himself more at the WR spot (in which case the team will step up and pay him like a top WR).

He's apparently asking for 6yrs 45M.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)
In fact, in this instance can you really blame Hester. He's scheduled to make like 425K. Yes thats more than most of us make but given that he's the top performer at his position (EVER) and now opening camp as one of the starting WR's I would expect to get paid more. Especially when he's yet to get a "set for the rest of his life" deal.

I expect a short term type of extension where the Bears give him more money up front and agree on negotiating again a year or two from now (basically a 2 year extension from his current deal with a good chunk of guaranteed money) when he's proven himself more at the WR spot (in which case the team will step up and pay him like a top WR).

He's apparently asking for 6yrs 45M.

Although I have never been in that position, where I could be making millions of dollars per year and instead am making hundreds of thousands, I would like to believe that people would honor their contracts. You signed it, so deal with it. You knew when putting your name on that paper that you were going to get paid that much, under the rules of the contract. If you didnt like it, dont sign it, or you shouldve changed the terms of the contract when writing it up. Honor your contract. Thats my point of view. And yes teams can release guys under contract too, but they still have to pay that money, and if a guy is underperforming, then that team is stuck with that contract, they cant renegotiate with the player just because they feel its unfair.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
Although I have never been in that position, where I could be making millions of dollars per year and instead am making hundreds of thousands, I would like to believe that people would honor their contracts. You signed it, so deal with it. You knew when putting your name on that paper that you were going to get paid that much, under the rules of the contract. If you didnt like it, dont sign it, or you shouldve changed the terms of the contract when writing it up. Honor your contract. Thats my point of view. And yes teams can release guys under contract too, but they still have to pay that money, and if a guy is underperforming, then that team is stuck with that contract, they cant renegotiate with the player just because they feel its unfair.

The NFL is a totally different game. You are one play away from a career or even life threatening injury and when your at the top of your level you deserve to get paid at the top of your level. If you don't produce the NFL will get rid of you immediately so it really doesn't work both ways.

In baseball, I completely agree, honor the damn contract (that is because once you sign it you are protected where as in the NFL you have no protection). Now once you get one big contract, than at that point I will defend someone who holds out a lot less (I ripped into Urlacher for his actions).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
Didn't the Bears actually step up when it came to Urlacher or man up. Urlacher held out and the Bears didn't really get serious with Brian until he finally returned to the team and at that point the Bears stepped up and made an offer that will keep him in Chicago for what will likely be the remainder of his career.

Urlacher did not hold out, I credit him for that. However, he should not be whining in the middle of a long term deal. With a roster of 52 players and a salary cap a good portion of your roster has to be underpaid if you want to put out a competitive team on the field in a 32 team league. JA imo, had the perfect system of locking the young talents early. That system is worthless if you have to rip up the deal in a few years because the "outplayed" their contract.

I say call Devin's Bluff for a few reasons:

1. He's under contract for 2 more seasons and will be fined 15K for every practice he misses. His annual salary at 445K

will go into the negative after a month of missed practices.

2. He is currently a starting WR, his job to lose. What a way to lose it and diminish your value. I doubt he will let this happen.

3. The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately?" type of league. Does anyone remember the '06 Bears in '08 with the same D? No. Because of 2007. Hester is under contract 2 more years, His value is at it's peak right now and will only go down if he sits.

6 years/45 mil is what Devin wants. (unless he outplays his contract of course) The franchise would be paralyzed if he turned into Dante Hall II.

In a salary cap League, I have to side with Ownership/Management

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 06:23 PM)

That's almost completely wrong. Teams can cut a guy and be free of all future money and threaten to cut an underperforming guy to force him to renegotiate.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
Hester is now holding out. :)

A lot of the Bears work out at the same gym as me in the off season and my buddy texted me at noon saying Hester just showed up to work out. I was like, ruh roh.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 06:47 PM)
BTW, before the hold out, I was all for Hester getting an extension. But no where near 6/45. I would be in favor of something like 6/30.

Realistically, can the Bears even offer something like that right now? I thought they were close to the cap as-is.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
Realistically, can the Bears even offer something like that right now? I thought they were close to the cap as-is.

According to Peter King's article earlier this week, prior to the Urlacher signing the Bears still had something like $12.3 million in cap space available this year, which is in the upper 1/3 of the NFL in available cap room.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
BTW, before the hold out, I was all for Hester getting an extension. But no where near 6/45. I would be in favor of something like 6/30.

A couple months back it was reported he was looking for something in the Berrian range. However, I'd be more in favor of 4-5 years and 5-7 per, just because one knee injury and he'll never be the same when he relies on his legs more than anyone. Atleast if it's 4-5 years we won't be wrapped up giving up 6-8 per for 6-8 years.

You know that Angelo is trying to backload this contract with incentives and performance bonuses in case Hester doesnt work out as a WR. There is no way he is going to pay Hester Berrian money off the bat

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
Hester isn't even a very good reciever. The kid has a ton to learn about the routes.

His "to-do" list:

Learn how to catch

Learn how to run routes

Learn how to block

...he hasn't proved a god damn thing. This is because of all that talk from the Bears about Hester being a #1 WR. They went overboard with that, and now he's telling them to put their money where their mouth is. That's a self-inflicted wound if I ever saw one.