Uribe Not Going to Boston

Dick Allen

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 06:27 AM)
If we turn Cabrera into Lowe, it was basically turning Garland into lowe. Yuck

On a standalone basis, Lowe is better than Garland, especially when your talking about one season of either starter. Lowe will garnish type A compensation.

I also believe you can't trade guys on the DL

Cubs got Rondell White from the Expos while he was (typically) on the DL

I also like how people are ASSuming the 2 picks we get from Cabrera (something could still happen to him) = 2 top prospects. Give me a break.

If the team that signs Cabrera also signs another type "A" free agent or two, it's very possible the Sox would have an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick. Based on the Sox's drafting history, I wouldn't be so sure to call someone a "top prospect" just because he was drafted early by them.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 07:10 AM)
I love this time of year. Here's my Super Trade Idea, a 4-team, 16-player deal. I think the last time anything like this happened was that Cubs-Red Sox-A's thing that I think was 4 teams and included a s***load of players including Nomar.

My trade:

Sox trade: Orlando Cabrera, Josh Fields, Aaron Poreda, Nick Masset, Chris Getz, Nevin Griffith, John Shelby

Dodgers trade: Matt Kemp, Andy LaRoche, Chin-Lung Hu, Jonathan Meloan, Blake DeWitt

Orioles trade: Brian Roberts, Daniel Cabrera, George Sherrill

Rockies trade: Garrett Atkins

Sox receive: Brian Roberts, Daniel Cabrera, Blake DeWitt

Dodgers receive: Garrett Atkins, Orlando Cabrera, George Sherrill

Orioles receive: Matt Kemp, Josh Fields, Andy LaRoche, Chin-Lung Hu, Aaron Poreda, Chris Getz

Rockies receive: Jonathan Meloan, Nick Masset, Nevin Griffith, John Shelby

From a Sox perspective they are giving up way too much. I like Cabrera as much as the next guy, same as Dewitt, but essentially I believe OC/Roberts are very similar players (and if there is a difference, I favor OC, although I could see where certain teams favor Roberts by a prospect like Getz or Broadway).

Therefor, you are talking about trading Josh Fields, Aaron Poreda, Nick Masset, Nevin Griffith and John Shelby for Blake Dewitt and Daniel Cabrera. Are you f***ing kidding me? Fields has more value than Dewitt in the sense that most experts project Fields to be a starting 3Bman, entering this season few had Dewitt as a starting infielder. He's done an admirable job for the Dodgers and has a nice skill-set but one that you can't compare to Fields (and this is coming from someone who knocks on Fields).

So I've already indicated that I probably wouldn't do OC & Getz for Roberts (note the O's have on interest in OC so OC would be turned into prospects the O's would want, hence the Dodgers or some other teams involvement).

I certainly wouldn't trade Fields for DeWitt.

That leaves Poreda, Masset, Griffith, and John Shelby for Daniel Cabrera. I love Cabrera's arm, but he's had a years in the majors and never proven anything. Masset has had a less time and has a less explosive arm but is there (no the O's wouldn't deal Cabrera for Masset straight up). Than there is Poreda who is as raw as it gets but possesses a better fastball than Cabrera (younger too, again, proven nothing at the big league level). I wouldn't trade Poreda straight up for Cabrera, let alone include Masset/Griffith (injury prone and I don't know if he'll live up to his hype but a good raw arm) and Shelby (whom I love as a prospect).

Bottom line, this deal is terrible for the Sox.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
In what world does trading OC in a walk year translate to another team's young starting 3B, a star in the making OF'er or a top prospect? Oh that right, xbox world.

The Dodgers are a game out of first place with the s***tiest SS crop in baseball. You could make a case that the clowns they've had at SS are worse than Andy Gonzalez (yes, I said it). Therefor, trading something of talent to get a gold glove SS makes sense. We aren't talking about some POS player, we are talking about one of the better shortstops in all of baseball (plus, Dodgers would be getting two picks as compensation at the end of the season).

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
Cubs got Rondell White from the Expos while he was (typically) on the DL

I also like how people are ASSuming the 2 picks we get from Cabrera (something could still happen to him) = 2 top prospects. Give me a break.

If the team that signs Cabrera also signs another type "A" free agent or two, it's very possible the Sox would have an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick. Based on the Sox's drafting history, I wouldn't be so sure to call someone a "top prospect" just because he was drafted early by them.

I won't say top prospect, however, a year out from draft day, its highly likely that those top picks would have pretty high trade value (ie, the value of a top prospect). This isn't to say that those prospects will turn into top prospects or major league stars.

However, 2 additional top picks (ie, picks within the top 3 rounds) will be very helpful at continuing to rebuild a depleted farm system.

This would only make sense if the Sox were to acquire both Roberts AND a #4/#5 starter like Lowe. Contreras' health isn't reliable and Danks will have to be shut down in September, leaving a hole in the back of the rotation. A back-of-the-rotation starter is more of a pressing need than a leadoff hitter. And I don't see the Dodgers giving up Lowe for a half season of Cabrera.

I would probably do Lowe straight up for OC as long as the Sox weren't getting completely raped by the O's in a Roberts deal. I say that because Lowe is a significant upgrade in the rotation and acquiring Roberts makes one less thing the Sox have to worry about in the off-season.

I'd prefer to get more than just lowe or include a contract the Sox want to unload but if the Sox can get Roberts without giving up both Poreda & Fields than I make the deal. I'm very very hesitant to trade Poreda because I don't think his trade value is as high as his potential upside.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
It wouldn't make sense unless financially the Sox needed to (as in they are up against the budget or something).

And I couldn't see approximately 1/3 of Uribe's annual salary being a financial boondoggle to Sox. So from my point of view, Uribe for Cora just doesn't make any sense what-so-ever.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
And I couldn't see approximately 1/3 of Uribe's annual salary being a financial boondoggle to Sox. So from my point of view, Uribe for Cora just doesn't make any sense what-so-ever.

Now if there is a raw arm the Sox like or that extra cash is going to signing some international FA than maybe I could see it (or if Uribe has told them internally that he wants out and wants to go to a team where he'll play more).

But talent for talent...Uribe > Cora and this is coming from someone who likes Alex Cora a lot (very solid bench player).

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
Not a chance. Even if Towles is available, they'll want more than 5+ era, 1.8 whip in AAA MacDougal.

You forget how much Ed Wade loves his middle relievers.

How else do you explain the Brad Lidge trade for example (especially now that Michael Bourne isn't even a starter).

And the plot thickens;

The Rockies have been scouting top pitching prospect Nick Adenhart in possible anticipation of a trade with the Angels.

While some talks regarding Matt Holliday have taken place, it's at least as likely that the Angels could be after Brian Fuentes and Garrett Atkins. They probably wouldn't part with Adenhart for Fuentes alone, but they could give up him and more if it also meant adding Atkins to their lineup. Such a move would likely turn Chone Figgins into a utilityman.

Figgins for 2nd base anyone?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
Now if there is a raw arm the Sox like or that extra cash is going to signing some international FA than maybe I could see it (or if Uribe has told them internally that he wants out and wants to go to a team where he'll play more).

But talent for talent...Uribe > Cora and this is coming from someone who likes Alex Cora a lot (very solid bench player).

If there is a raw arm in addition to Cora, that's different than for Cora straight up. If Uribe wants to move to where he can play more somewhere else, he can wait till next year. We're in a pennant race, and this isn't time to intentionally weaken your team to make someone feel better.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
And the plot thickens;

Figgins for 2nd base anyone?

I don't buy the Angels not starting Figgins. When healthy he is too important to what that club does, imo. I also don't buy the Angles making a big deal. Tony Reagins (GM) has indicated that they aren't anticipating making a big move. The club is 7 games up in first place, has a strong rotation, and the only real void is in the offense but they aren't going to go out and upgrade the offense without finding teams willing to take some ugly contracts off there hands.

I really can't trust KW to make a huge move at this time of the year. Sure, he made a couple "whatever moves" (Blum, Timo, Willie), a couple average moves (Everett, Alomar), and one good move (Freddy) over the years in general, just not at this time, but none have been huge to bring in a superstar player like a Roberts. When this is done and we actually get a player like Atkins, Roberts, etc., I'll believe it.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
You forget how much Ed Wade loves his middle relievers.

How else do you explain the Brad Lidge trade for example (especially now that Michael Bourne isn't even a starter).

I explain it by pointing to the facts that they thought Bourn was going to be (and play like) a starter, whatever eventually happened, that Costanzo hit a bucketful of homers in AA last year, and Geary had passable headline stats at the major league level. MacDougal doesn't have passable stats in AAA, and he's signed through next year. If the Astros are looking to ditch Towles, they'll find plenty of catcher-hungry teams with half-decent middle relievers. I'm not saying they will deal him for that, but there's not a chance in hell they deal him for MacDougal, who's basically worthless right now.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
I really can't trust KW to make a huge move at this time of the year. Sure, he made a couple "whatever moves" (Blum, Timo, Willie), a couple average moves (Everett, Alomar), and one good move (Freddy) over the years in general, just not at this time, but none have been huge to bring in a superstar player like a Roberts. When this is done and we actually get a player like Atkins, Roberts, etc., I'll believe it.

All highlighted players were important parts of the World Series team, characterizing them as "whatever" moves does them quite a disservice. Also, a deadline deal for another player that helped win the world series was Esteban Loaiza for Jose Contreras in the last hour before the deadline.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
All highlighted players were important parts of the World Series team, characterizing them as "whatever" moves does them quite a disservice. Also, a deadline deal for another player that helped win the world series was Esteban Loaiza for Jose Contreras in the last hour before the deadline.

The characterazation Roberts as a 'superstar' is a stretch in the other direction as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
I explain it by pointing to the facts that they thought Bourn was going to be (and play like) a starter, whatever eventually happened, that Costanzo hit a bucketful of homers in AA last year, and Geary had passable headline stats at the major league level. MacDougal doesn't have passable stats in AAA, and he's signed through next year. If the Astros are looking to ditch Towles, they'll find plenty of catcher-hungry teams with half-decent middle relievers. I'm not saying they will deal him for that, but there's not a chance in hell they deal him for MacDougal, who's basically worthless right now.

I'm sort of poking fun at Wade here, but I actually think if MacDougal was traded to the NL he could turn it around and maybe get back to where he was. He obviously has the stuff to be a dominant reliever, it's all "upstairs" where the problem is for him.

Costanzo was basically a fringe prospect (poor man's Josh Fields IMHO), while they could have easily signed a similar reliever to Geary instead of trading for him. Bourne has plenty of speed, but can't get on base enough to utlitize it.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)

they actually weren't important parts of that team - they were incidental parts.

2005!!