Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so now it's 17-3 USC. How about another TD, Carroll?

TT just manhandling OKST. If they beat Oklahoma in 2 weeks in Norman...wow.

So, let's say:

Oklahoma beats TT next week.

Texas loses to Missouri in the Big-12 title game.

Alabama loses a regular season game, then beats Florida in the SEC title game.

Then who plays for the national championship?

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)

So, let's say:

USC vs Bama

I wouldve put OU vs Bama but I think you should be a conference champ to play for the title.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)

So, let's say:

OU/USC, it also depends if Boise St and/or Utah can stay undefeated.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
Where's Jimbo at this week? I wanted to know the score of the Neb-KU game. :)

I'm here, thought we had a chance in the second half. Defense couldnt tackle anybody and we let you run down our throats. Cya for two easy wins in bball and a victory in football next year in Lawrence :)

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 12:13 AM)
I bet the OU/TT game on the 22nd will be higher scoring than when those schools meet up in basketball this season.

Maybe, OU isn't that impressive against good teams and have in recent years been coming up short in those shoot out type games..

And not that this means anything but.. Texas beat OU, then scraped out a win against Ok St at home.. then lost to Texas Tech in Lubbock, who just PUMMELED Ok St in Lubbock

I have a feeling Texas Tech will beat OU comfortably (Not by like 36 or anything, but 10-14)

Hope Texas Tech keeps on winning, because they are a joy to watch

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 03:30 AM)
I'm here, thought we had a chance in the second half. Defense couldnt tackle anybody and we let you run down our throats. Cya for two easy wins in bball and a victory in football next year in Lawrence :)

I tell you what. I'll give you those Bball games. I was already an Illini fan in Bball before my family could convert me. We'll see about that football game though. ;)

Um, College Gameday will be in Tallahassee...for FAMU/Hampton. I'm not saying it should be for FSU and BC because no one gives a s***, but FAMU and Hampton? 7-3 vs 5-4? It's not even their rivalry game; that's in Orlando vs DBCC. They're also doing it for a game whose time got changed to 1:00 to accommodate for a girls basketball game.

Hell, Florida/USCe is better than that.

http://www.wctv.tv/sports/headlines/34118109.html

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 06:19 PM)
At least it keeps Ferentz in Iowa City. He still has one hell of a time against Iowa State, and while they can win when they come in motivated like they did last year, things figure to be different next year.

Iowa is quietly getting back to being pretty good and I find it hillarous how the only thing you can point at is Iowa State beating Iowa a few times. Last I looked Iowa has completely kicked ass during the Ferentz era when compared to the Clones, but than again so have most programs :)

And I'm happy Kirk stays. The ship has been righted and is heading back in the right direction.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)

So, let's say:

I'm sorry but it'll be a joke if USC plays in the national championship game. Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Alabama all have better resumes, even with a loss.

Random thoughts/questions....

1. If Oklahoma beats TTech and there is a three-way tie atop the Big 12 South, how is the tie broken? Head-to-head matchups can't come into play unless it would be a 3rd or 4th tiebreaker after one team is eliminated.

2. Michigan finally put together a nice game. Guess those players that (supposedly) walked out found what they were looking for. This is what was expected this season. A not too flashy offense and a solid D. I have no idea where this defense has been. I know the offense has not made it easy on them, but today was a completely different defense. They actually tackled.

3. For a time yesterday, I thought all was right again with college football at least for the day. Michigan won, Illinois lost, Nebraska won, Bama is at the top. But then the Red Raiders blew up that whole vision. They are a damned good team, but it just doesn't have the right ring to it when one talks about Texas Tech paying for the NC.

4. How about all the talk about USC? Funny thing is, Oregon State controls their own destiny in the PAC-10. Maybe USC should make sure they are going to win their conference before they start crowing too loud. That said, USC is the one team I would not want to play in a big game. USC - Florida has a pretty sexy ring to it for a NC Game, but a lot would have to happen first.

5. I know Notre Dame isn't that good, but they are better. What the hell happened with them getting shut out last night?

6. The question for the Big Ten is... comparatively speaking, which sport will they be worse in this year, football or basketball? Oh well, at least there is baseball sea.... check that, wrestling season coming up.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
Iowa is quietly getting back to being pretty good and I find it hillarous how the only thing you can point at is Iowa State beating Iowa a few times. Last I looked Iowa has completely kicked ass during the Ferentz era when compared to the Clones, but than again so have most programs :)

And I'm happy Kirk stays. The ship has been righted and is heading back in the right direction.

He's what, 4-6, against Iowa State? The man has a horrible time beating us with superior facilities and, in most cases, talent.

And I don't think 21 arrests, including his son, from 07-08 is righting the ship.

I hope he stays there forever, cause he's certainly not worth the money he's getting paid.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)
He's what, 4-6, against Iowa State? The man has a horrible time beating us with superior facilities and, in most cases, talent.

And I don't think 21 arrests, including his son, from 07-08 is righting the ship.

I hope he stays there forever, cause he's certainly not worth the money he's getting paid.

You'd be thrilled if ISU had a coach that has accomplished what Ferentz has. It isn't even a debate, we'll see what happens in basketball as Lickliter continues to get his guys in but in football there is no argument. Sure you won some head to head but last I looked Iowa has churned out bowls most every year under Ferentz and will do so again this year and hopefully they'll finish in the rankings. THe arrests all happened very early in the season and it sounds like Iowa has really put the hammer down. Oh and need I mention that pretty much every major conference college team will have a year or two where they have arrests and crap like that. Not making excuses cause its pathetic regardless, but just saying.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)

I'm happy you feel that way. As long as Zook and Weis are around to get all of the good Illinois players though, Iowa will have problems having any sustained success because they need to be able to raid Illinois in order to be good, so to be fair, it would be hard for anybody to right the ship at Iowa. The main reason Iowa was so good earlier this decade was due to the fact that Illinois had Ron Turner and Notre Dame had Bob Davie/Ty Willingham, and they couldn't recruit for s***.

But the Hawkeyes talent level isn't great right now, they aren't recruiting well, and they are like an SEC team (or Penn State) in terms of the number of arrests they have. Ferentz is perhaps the most overpaid coach in America now that Fulmer was fired, and if he's not he's certainly top 5.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
I'm happy you feel that way. As long as Zook and Weis are around to get all of the good Illinois players though, Iowa will have problems having any sustained success because they need to be able to raid Illinois in order to be good, so to be fair, it would be hard for anybody to right the ship at Iowa. The only reason Iowa was so good earlier this decade was due to the fact that Illinois had Ron Turner and Notre Dame had Ty Willingham, and neither could recruit for sht.

But the Hawkeyes talent level isn't great right now, they aren't recruiting well, and they are like an SEC team (or Penn State) in terms of the number of arrests they have. Ferentz is perhaps the most overpaid coach in America now that Fulmer was fired, and if he's not he's certainly top 5.

He's getting back to recruiting quality football players. They aren't getting top 20 recruiting classes but they are getting good football players and athletes and Ferenz is now getting back to doing what he does best which is coaching them. There oline is looking very good and should be set for a few years and at QB they have a good number of options going forward and the WR's are developing nicely.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
He's getting back to recruiting quality football players. They aren't getting top 20 recruiting classes but they are getting good football players and athletes and Ferenz is now getting back to doing what he does best which is coaching them. There oline is looking very good and should be set for a few years and at QB they have a good number of options going forward and the WR's are developing nicely.

They'll put up 7 and 8 win seasons like this year is going to be at current pace, but they'll never get back to where they were earlier in the decade without having uninhibited trips to the Illinois talent bank like they did in those days.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
They'll put up 7 and 8 win seasons like this year is going to be at current pace, but they'll never get back to where they were earlier in the decade without having uninhibited trips to the Illinois talent bank like they did in those days.

I'm not saying they are going to have multiple BCS appearances and dominant 10 win teams but I expect them to be able to maybe be a little lesser version of Wisconsin, where they consistently contend and ocassionally get into the top 15 (I've thought Wiscy has been overrated for some time, in the pure sense that they aren't an elite team, but they've had many above average to good teams) .

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)
I'm happy you feel that way. As long as Zook and Weis are around to get all of the good Illinois players though, Iowa will have problems having any sustained success because they need to be able to raid Illinois in order to be good, so to be fair, it would be hard for anybody to right the ship at Iowa. The main reason Iowa was so good earlier this decade was due to the fact that Illinois had Ron Turner and Notre Dame had Bob Davie/Ty Willingham, and they couldn't recruit for s***.

When Iowa finished three years in the Top 10, we didn't have 5 star or 4 star recruits. We had Dallas Clark and Bruce Nelson, both walk ons, Eric Steinbach and Robert Gallery both converted tight ends, CJ Jones and Brad Banks from JUCO and Bob Sanders, who was only offered 1 scholly, from us.

When we got the glamorous 4 and 5 star guys, especially from the Chicago area we've sucked. I'm not saying it was due to them, but those Top 25 classes we pulled in never panned out. So Zook and Weis can keep getting the All American high school guys. But what really has that done for those schools?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
You'd be thrilled if ISU had a coach that has accomplished what Ferentz has. It isn't even a debate, we'll see what happens in basketball as Lickliter continues to get his guys in but in football there is no argument. Sure you won some head to head but last I looked Iowa has churned out bowls most every year under Ferentz and will do so again this year and hopefully they'll finish in the rankings. THe arrests all happened very early in the season and it sounds like Iowa has really put the hammer down. Oh and need I mention that pretty much every major conference college team will have a year or two where they have arrests and crap like that. Not making excuses cause its pathetic regardless, but just saying.

Ferentz' son was arrested a couple of weeks ago. It's still an ongoing problem.

There is no reason Iowa should ever lose to us, period, and you know that.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
Where's Jimbo at this week? I wanted to know the score of the Neb-KU game. :)

Thanks for winning the North for Mizzou. :) A buddy of mine goes to Nebraska and thought they were going to lose. I actually picked the Huskers in our pick em pool and he didn't, heh.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
You are welcome for the reality check Northwestern.

First off, their QB and top 2 RBs were out. Second, look at their schedule, they haven't done a lot to brag about and aren't a top 25 team. It's why I bet my entire centsports bankroll on Ohio State lol. It says enough about you to be talking s*** on Northwestern as an Ohio State fan though.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 02:37 AM)
I have a feeling Texas Tech will beat OU comfortably (Not by like 36 or anything, but 10-14)

I'm gonna say there is no way that happens. I'm not saying Tech can't win, but there is no way they manhandle Oklahoma IN Norman. Neutral field, maybe, but OU just doesn't lose at home so I don't think Tech can win 'comfortably.'

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
What the hell has happened to Tennessee football... Anybody still questioning whether Phil should have been fired or not?

I'm questioning the heart of those players. Your coach just got fired, its homecoming and they come out with a game like that?

As a fan of a team going through a transition, the quicker the Fulmer players are gone the better once the new coach comes in.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
I'm questioning the heart of those players. Your coach just got fired, its homecoming and they come out with a game like that?

As a fan of a team going through a transition, the quicker the Fulmer players are gone the better once the new coach comes in.

You're probably right. The seniors especially are pitiful. They show no emotion whatsoever and have greatly underachieved...

I'll say this: The only reason I enjoyed the game whatsoever was b/c I got to sit in our Chancellor's skybox, meet/greet some big-time alumni, and I ate ridiculously well... e.g. steak and a bunch of other awesome food. Those people sure know how to do it. But, I would rather sit in the stands for a big-time game over being in a skybox any day of the week. The atmosphere just isn't the same.