uh, White Sox winner

witesoxfan

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
The funny thing with Thome is that he still can't hit the inside pitch at all. However, he's squaring up that outside pitch a lot more than he was early in the year, and most of his homers are going to the opposite way. I don't know why a team would ever pitch him a fastball away.

So long as he keeps hitting the way he has for the past 2 months, I don't care where they pitch in so long as he can keep producing.

Him and OC are the 2 players who come to mind for me who have really rebounded fantastically after very slow starts.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
The funny thing with Thome is that he still can't hit the inside pitch at all. However, he's squaring up that outside pitch a lot more than he was early in the year, and most of his homers are going to the opposite way. I don't know why a team would ever pitch him a fastball away.

He has done a great job of killing the ball whenever he gets a hittable pitch middle or away. He also seems to realize he can't turn on the inside pitch anymore unless he guesses right pre pitch and can load up and turn and burn, so for the most part he seems content to just try and foul that pitch off. He's still having all kinds of problems laying off the high fastball he can't catch, but is getting better laying off the soft breaking stuff down and out of the zone.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
So we have the 1st, 4th, and 6th place home run hitters in the AL and 5th, 6th, and 12th guys in OPS, with Thome 3rd on the team in both categories. That is as imposing a 3-4-5 as you'll find. Thome's rebound has been incredible though, he was absolutely horrible for two full months and has just been great since the beginning of June. I know everybody goes through slumps, but it was odd to see a hall of famer be unable to hit for two months, however Jim is back where he has been for a long time now, as an elite player.

And the bottom half of the order has been a lot better than in previous seasons also. Having Ramirez in for Uribe for example has been just a huge upgrade. Alexei could end up hitting over .300 with around 15-17HR's, while we've got Swisher and Griffey who are both capable of putting up better numbers down the stretch of what they have so far.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
He has done a great job of killing the ball whenever he gets a hittable pitch middle or away. He also seems to realize he can't turn on the inside pitch anymore unless he guesses right pre pitch and can load up and turn and burn, so for the most part he seems content to just try and foul that pitch off. He's still having all kinds of problems laying off the high fastball he can't catch, but is getting better laying off the soft breaking stuff down and out of the zone.

I think this is more accurate than saying Thome can't hit the inside pitch. He does hit it, and hard, sometimes. Those are the pitches he pulls, particularly low and inside. but that high, inside heat does still give him fits.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)

He's kinda like Ryan Theriot, except not a girl.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
So long as he keeps hitting the way he has for the past 2 months, I don't care where they pitch in so long as he can keep producing.

Him and OC are the 2 players who come to mind for me who have really rebounded fantastically after very slow starts.

He's struggled a lot this year, but Swisher's OPS+ in June was 172, that is doing some heavy lifting for a month...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bspli...1&year=2008

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
It feels so good to not have to see him anymore.

No kidding. Our lineup whiffing all night always had residual effects for a few games, the same with Fatbathia (who I hope we break the bank for in the offseason).

Its amazing Danks dominated an offense like Detroit without throwing one f***ing curveball. That cutter is the equalizer. If Danks can learn 1-2 more pitches in the next few seasons he will be ridiculous. What if he learned a splitty all of a sudden.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
No kidding. Our lineup whiffing all night always had residual effects for a few games, the same with Fatbathia (who I hope we break the bank for in the offseason).

Its amazing Danks dominated an offense like Detroit without throwing one f***ing curveball. That cutter is the equalizer. If Danks can learn 1-2 more pitches in the next few seasons he will be ridiculous. What if he learned a splitty all of a sudden.

Can one just learn a splitter?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Can one just learn a splitter?

Danks already did add a splitter...? That's the big difference in him from this year and last, the fact that he can attack the strike zone at will now and keep hitters off balance. I recall Fields commenting on the fact that he couldn't hit Danks's new splitter in ST.

But if he could add another bailout pitch, that wouldn't hurt of course.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 07:02 AM)
Danks already did add a splitter...? That's the big difference in him from this year and last, the fact that he can attack the strike zone at will now and keep hitters off balance. I recall Fields commenting on the fact that he couldn't hit Danks's new splitter in ST.

But if he could add another bailout pitch, that wouldn't hurt of course.

So many jokes, so little space

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
So many jokes, so little space

I started to, but the statement is a joke in and of itself. At least Danks is a LHP though and Fields can hit LHP... imagine if it was Uribe saying this.