50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

32. Shingo Takatsu

takatsu_shingo.jpg

(6 of 27 lists - 69 points - highest ranking #9 SoxFan1)

bio by SoxFan1 and knightni-

GONG GONG

It's the top of the 9th inning, Sox lead by 1, strange Japanese music and pictures play on the scoreboard.

IT'S FRISBEE TIME.

Shingo Takatsu, "Mr. Zero" comes walking out of the bullpen to shut them down.

What can you say about Shingo? He took the South Side by storm with the Gong and the Frisbee. Such a relief after the Koch debacle, Shingo came in and baffled every hitter he faced. Its a shame things went downhill the way they did in 2005, but I know all always remember 2004 as the year Shingo won my heart and the only season Hawk and DJ have any reason to say that Juan Uribe can carry a team. His emergence prompted me to buy my 1st authentic White Sox jersey, dropping $215 to get that #10 Takatsu jersey. There was nothing better than Shingo Time.

Even though he had a short stint with the White Sox, Takatsu captured the fan's hearts with his frisbee pitch. Indirectly, he helped the White Sox sign 2B Tadahito Iguchi in the 2004 offseason. Gooch helped lead the team to the 2005 World Series championship.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
I've never seen hitters look so foolish at the plate as I did during Shingo's first year. They just couldn't wait long enough. It was an awesome season.

I wonder when the next time we'll see someone strike out swinging on a 49 mph pitch is.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
I really hope they gave him a ring in 2005.

http://www.quotesdaddy.com/author/Shingo+Takatsu

Shingo Takatsu is a free agent pitcher. He had a short stint with the Chicago White Sox where he was the closer for two seasons until struggles closing games ultimately led to his demotion to the minors. Despite being demoted in the summer of 2005, he received a World Series ring with the White Sox. He was signed by the New York Mets during the 2005 season, and he pitched in nine games for New York. After the 2005 season, he returned to the Japanese League.

I remember when they had him start pitching everyone away and started walking guys left and right. I was at the game he gave up a 3 run homer to Matt Lawton in the 9th to blow a game.

In all the negativity, he was marketed the right way and was effective until he got figured out. I loved the GONG!