Democratic Convention Talk

HuskyCaucasian

I wasn't too impressed by any of the speeches tonight. However, the GOP had a great Monday and Tuesday, plus what happens tomorrow night is what really matters. Obama will be right in his element, a teleprompter speech in front of a HUGE audience. We know that is one thing he does absolutely wonderfully, and I'd be surprised if he doensn't wow 'em tomorrow.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see Bill Clinton's speech but I saw the high points, and I thought he did quite well for Broncobama, I mean Barack Obama. He was much more forceful in his support than Hillary appeared to be. I was able to watch most of Biden's speech, but got interrupted by a phone call. All in all, I thought Biden did well also.

I also have no doubt that Obama will knock them out tonight and it will give him a huge bump in the polls. McCain is not the speaker that Obama is by a long shot, and won't be able to turn tide after his acceptance speech. The debates will decide that and we'll just have to see what happens then.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
John Kerry's speech was excellent and way better than the analysts talking about made up riffs that was covered were.

I totally agree with you. Kerry's speech was one of my favorite's....and as one analyst put it "It was the speech that would have won him the presidency in 2004"

Zinger of the night from Obama:

"the record’s clear: John McCain has voted with George Bush ninety percent of the time. Senator McCain likes to talk about judgment, but really, what does it say about your judgment when you think George Bush was right more than ninety percent of the time? I don’t know about you, but I’m not ready to take a ten percent chance on change.”

HOLY CRAP:

"And for the sake of our economy, our security, and the future of our planet, I will set a clear goal as President: in ten years, we will finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East."

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
HOLY CRAP:

"And for the sake of our economy, our security, and the future of our planet, I will set a clear goal as President: in ten years, we will finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East."

And how will he do it?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
How does one become a delegate?

http://www.demconvention.com/how-to-become-a-delegate/

How do you become a delegate to the 2008 Democratic National Convention? Well, the answer depends upon where you live. Each state determines the process by which its delegates are selected. That process is described in the state party’s delegate selection plan. These plans must comply with national Democratic Party rules that provide guidelines to ensure a fair, open and inclusive process. In the summer of 2007, each state party will publish its delegate selection rules and clearly explain how to participate in the process.

If you want to be a delegate, your first step should be to call or write to your state party. The state party will provide you with the information and materials you’ll need to begin the process of running for a delegate position. These will include a copy of the state party’s delegate selection plan (or summary) and delegate candidate filing forms. All states require delegate candidates to file a “declaration of candidacy" in order to run. The deadline for this declaration varies from state to state but is specified in each state's plan. In some cases, the declaration must be accompanied by signatures of registered Democratic voters from that area. All filing requirements must be precisely followed.

Finally, whether or not you are successful in becoming a delegate to the 2008 National Convention -- stay informed and involved. Be sure to: (1) stay informed about the presidential campaign; (2) follow the 2008 Convention; (3) support the Party's presidential and vice presidential nominees; and (4) most importantly, Vote on Election Day!

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
And how will he do it?

I'll use Kennedy's speech at Rice for reference. Most of his speech, all on the moon mission, was spent spelling out why his deadline was possible. He wasn't exactly saying that Lunar Orbit Rendezvous was the way to go, he couldn't go in to any more details about the rocket other than the fact that a Saturn had been tested the day before, etc., but he still set the goal. It's not his job right now to declare how, but to say it's possible and maybe throw together a few details.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
I'll use Kennedy's speech at Rice for reference. Most of his speech, all on the moon mission, was spent spelling out why his deadline was possible. He wasn't exactly saying that Lunar Orbit Rendezvous was the way to go, he couldn't go in to any more details about the rocket other than the fact that a Saturn had been tested the day before, etc., but he still set the goal. It's not his job right now to declare how, but to say it's possible and maybe throw together a few details.

Someone rose an interesting point the other day. Post-9/11, George Bush had the IDEAL time to say "we need to ride our selves of this oil that supports terrorism. For the sake of America, we are going to put forth a plan...."

Of course he didnt do that. But the point was that you need to make it a national priority before America as a whole will rise up RIght now you getbits here and bits there. But you need to put it int he front.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)
Someone rose an interesting point the other day. Post-9/11, George Bush had the IDEAL time to say "we need to ride our selves of this oil that supports terrorism. For the sake of America, we are going to put forth a plan...."

Of course he didnt do that. But the point was that you need to make it a national priority before America as a whole will rise up RIght now you getbits here and bits there. But you need to put it int he front.

The really sad thing? Over and Over, Bush has actually used the right language. 06 SOTU speech I think, America is addicted to oil. Lots of decent goals and policy proposals in 07.

And then oil hits $4, and like a heroin addict, we're suddenly on to "Drill here, Drill now!".

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 02:43 AM)
Barney Smith with a great line.

it worked so well because he was so intense and nervous-looking, then he unleashes this great line and it was just super effective. Shame the networks didn't cover it.