Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
Does the inner geek in you only like doing math when it belittles the accomplishments of the GOP?

If you have math that might be pertinent to Obama, i'd be glad to work the numbers over.

PS: Dont ask me to crunch tax numbers and such. Too many variables.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
If you have math that might be pertinent to Obama, i'd be glad to work the numbers over.

PS: Dont ask me to crunch tax numbers and such. Too many variables.

Sure, I think I can find some interesting numbers that may have been overlooked.

Take the original asking price of Obamas new house, subtract what he paid for it. Then take that number and add it to the difference in the amount per square foot that Tony Rezco paid for the adjacent lot and how much he sold the strip of land to Obama for. Take the sum of those two numbers and compare it to the amounts of money that other politicians bribed Rezco with in order to have "business associates" placed on numerous boards and receive other random favors done.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 07:59 PM)
relatively speaking, internet numbers are WAY easier to gather and much more accurate than TV boxes and pencil and paper diaries.

Are you going to crunch those numbers for me? I think the people would like those numbers more than if the reason why so many people watched McCains speech was because of the NFL.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 08:02 PM)
Are you going to crunch those numbers for me? I think the people would like those numbers more than if the reason why so many people watched McCains speech was because of the NFL.

I'd be curious to see the online numbers. I havent seen them.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
I'd be curious to see the online numbers. I havent seen them.

no, these numbers:

Take the original asking price of Obamas new house, subtract what he paid for it. Then take that number and add it to the difference in the amount per square foot that Tony Rezco paid for the adjacent lot and how much he sold the strip of land to Obama for. Take the sum of those two numbers and compare it to the amounts of money that other politicians bribed Rezco with in order to have "business associates" placed on numerous boards and receive other random favors done.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
no, these numbers:

I'm not even dignifying that with a response.

Come up with legit numbers and we'll talk. I'm trying to be nice here.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
BTW, how was the Obama interview on O'Reilly?

I didn't hear anything about it, which is good for the Democrats. Problem for O'Reilly is Obama knows all the stories about him out there and has had answers in the bag well before the interview. It'd be different if there was something new on Obama, but it was probably more of the same. He probably figured going on an overwhelmingly conservative talk show that cators to a overwhelmingly conservative audience, there wasn't much to lose. Any slip up or stuttering would only be replayed on Fox News.

I finally found the station by station breakdown:

Station... Obama... McCain

CNN.......... 8............4.8

ABC.......... 6.6......... 6.0

NBC.......... 6.1..........8.7

CBS.......... 4.6..........5.3

FoxNews... 4.2...........9.1

MSNBC..... 4.1...........2.5

Among cable... that's a tectonic shift to Fox News.

My completely baseless opinion is that maybe... just maybe... McCain's speech was much more "republican" viewer intensive while Obama's hit a more wide rang of people. But with 35+ million people, that's a wide throw. So, it'll have its impact on the polls. Or it could just be viewers headed to their home turf.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 06:11 PM)
I didn't hear anything about it, which is good for the Democrats. Problem for O'Reilly is Obama knows all the stories about him out there and has had answers in the bag well before the interview.

You sure about that?

It'd be different if there was something new on Obama, but it was probably more of the same. He probably figured going on an overwhelmingly conservative talk show that cators to a overwhelmingly conservative audience, there wasn't much to lose. Any slip up or stuttering would only be replayed on Fox News.

Obama promised O'Reilly that he'd come on months ago and O'Reilly has been riding him during his show for a while. Since he's influential and has high ratings, Obama most likely decided that it'd be better for him to go in, rather than let Bill make him look like a coward on the air. I'm also assuming that Hillary's decision to go on earlier this year pretty much forced his hand as well.

I heard some of it and Obama handled himself pretty well. He danced around certain questions and didn't give very good answers when pressed, but he was pretty solid overall. And I think that O'Reilly treated him pretty fairly (from what I've heard so far). Some of the left-wingers might want to listen to the interview, as it shows that O'Reilly isn't the Rush- or Hannity-like partisan goon that liberal America portrays him to be.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 07:18 PM)
I heard some of it and Obama handled himself pretty well. He danced around certain questions and didn't give very good answers when pressed, but he was pretty solid overall. And I think that O'Reilly treated him pretty fairly (from what I've heard so far). Some of the left-wingers might want to listen to the interview, as it shows that O'Reilly isn't the Rush- or Hannity-like partisan goon that liberal America portrays him to be.

That's a pretty accurate description of the little I saw.

I think O'Reilly is a far more "fair" interviewer than Rush or Hannity. But Bill comes off as very far right most of the time.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)
That's a pretty accurate description of the little I saw.

I think O'Reilly is a far more "fair" interviewer than Rush or Hannity. But Bill comes off as very far right most of the time.

O'Reilly's definitely a conservative but is nowhere near as partisan or nasty as Rush, Hannity, Savage, etc. Nor does he toe the GOP party line.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)
making him look like a coward, huh.

Because during a hugely important election season, he totally should be putting off seeing actual voters to go a conservative talk show that few would vote for him anyways.

I'd imagine that quite a few independents hear his opinion every once in a while. And, yes, he would've looked like a coward if he reneged on his promise, especially after HILLARY had the stones to go on earlier this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Anyone see the Triumph feature on Conan last night at the Convention? I thought it was great when Triumph said that while McCain served in Vietnam, Triumph's brother was served in Vietnam.

That segment had me laughing out loud. Triumph was on top of his game.

Here it is:

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

On a more light-hearted note, and of you MSNBC watchers see Andrea mitchel get lost in a sea of balloons? After McCain's speech, they cut to her on the convention floor, and you could barely see her, sometimes not at all, as the balloons kept dropping.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 07:38 PM)
On a more light-hearted note, and of you MSNBC watchers see Andrea mitchel get lost in a sea of balloons? After McCain's speech, they cut to her on the convention floor, and you could barely see her, sometimes not at all, as the balloons kept dropping.

yea, that's a YouTube moment right there. I didnt see it live. I saw it replayed this morning.