Best team in the AL?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
Well if/when we win the division, we will play either TB or Bos (I don't think the WC comes out of the central). In that case, as bad as we have looked against TB, I'd still rather play them in a playoff series because:

-Home games for TB have are not a huge disadvantage (outside of the turfness) since nobody buys tickets

-They are young and have literally 0 playoff experience

-No Josh Beckett

Check out TB's home record

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
The Angels are a good team but they have been outplaying their Pythagorean by nine games. They've been fairly lucky and aren't head and shoulders above everyone else, in my opinion. I think we're better than them.

You sold on the 05 White Sox being better than everyone else that year?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
You sold on the 05 White Sox being better than everyone else that year?

If the Angels go 11-1 in the postseason and completely dominate, I'll gladly declare them the best team in baseball. But as of now Boston has allowed the exact same number of runs as LAA (602) but has scored exactly 100 more runs in the same number of games. Sure, part of the Angel's record has to do with their stellar bullpen, but I believe they're probably not quite as good as their record suggests.

I'd probably say the Angels. Even though a healthy Red Sox team easily scares me the most. Honestly, even with all our faults, I think we'd be right there with a healthy Crede/Contreras/Linebrink/CQ. I still think we should win the division. But we've got A LOT to overcome to make any kinda run in the playoffs.

If the Angels go 11-1 in the postseason and completely dominate, I'll gladly declare them the best team in baseball. But as of now Boston has allowed the exact same number of runs as LAA (602) but has scored exactly 100 more runs in the same number of games. Sure, part of the Angel's record has to do with their stellar bullpen, but I believe they're probably not quite as good as their record suggests.

Yeah, and let's take into account the division they are in.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
Tampa is by far the strongest IMO. They are a lot like us in '05. We're a lot like Boston in '05.

Tampa doesn't scare me at all. A lot of easy outs in their lineup. Kazmir is the only starter of theirs that I fear. I think Boston, with a healthy squad, is the best team in the AL.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
The speed is a problem as well. Obviously Tampa causes that problem, but I just fear the Angels more.

Something that's interesting is how bad the bottom of the orders are for most of the top AL teams. Now that we're done playing them, I'll gladly say that Sean Rodriguez is one of the worst players in the majors. No wonder the dumbass K'd on a 4-2 pitch.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
I don't understand that comparison at all.

I mean that it wouldn't suprise me if they won it all again that year considering their offense was awesome top to bottom, but their pitching wasn't all that great, especially after Clement got hit. Then they also dealt with ailing injuries like Schilling.

I wouldn't be surprised if we won it all, but not shocked if we lost in the first round via sweep. Our offense is great, pitching is a question mark.

QUOTE (Drew @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
Boston, easily.

Pedroia and Ellsbury are gamebreakers.

They were hitting everything off every façade the game I saw at Fenway.

Pedroia is unfortunately an MVP candidate with Quentin's injury, but he's a hell of a player and is legit as hell.

Ellsbury is a glorified 4th outfielder...he's currently a Jerry Owens clone with a bit more power. He'll improve, I don't doubt that, he's just not that good of a player right now.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
Do any of the contending/playoff teams have a Cliff Lee caliber guy? Nope.

Granted that Cliff Lee has been beyond unbelievable, there are still the likes of Scott Kazmir, Matt Garza, Dice-K Matsuzaka, Jon Lester, Josh Beckett, and so on. The point is that quality pitching, which seems to be present in the postseason, can silence an offense that leads the majors in HR's.