Looking at possible match-ups against CLE

caulfield12

FRIDAY Scott "Sutcliffe/Sabathia" Lewis versus Jon Danks

SATURDAY Zach Jackson (crafty LH) against Javier Vazquez (3 day's rest)

SUNDAY Cliff Lee versus Mark Buerhle (3 day's rest)

Obviously, if it gets to Sunday, that's a scary proposition. Let's hope it is Broadway or Richard starting that game...or Carrasco. That would also allow us to start Buehrle in the first game at TB or Boston. By the way, I think TB is a little vulnerable in the bullpen right now, Wheeler and Percival have been so-so recently.

MONDAY ???? DET versus Gavin Floyd (3 day's rest)

Not sure about Fausto Carmona's status, and if he will be suspended and miss his scheduled start Wednesday against Boston. If he starts WED, we would miss him. I guess that's good, he has a 5.19 ERA this season, but he's capable of being dominant. Then again, pitchers like Lewis and Jackson scare me too!!! Every opposing pitcher is scary right now for Sox fans, except Blackburn, which means he'll probably shut us out!

Edited by caulfield12

Well, it has been a mixed bag so far. Buehrle won his start, and Danks pitched wonderfully with the extra rest. I don't think anyone expected a sweep of the Royals on the road after the way we've been playing recently, but splitting in NY or TB taking 3/4 from the Twins would have been REALLY nice. That said, the division is definitely ours to lose at this point, no matter how you slice it.

Edited by caulfield12

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/prob...mp;ymd=20080926

My mistake, wasn't paying attention. Although if you go to their website, they have Jensen Lewis listed as the starter...when they are, in actuality, talking about Scott Lewis.

This sets up as two series in a row where we are favorites in the second game, but would have to be considered 50/50 to win the wrap-around/bookend games. If we can win the two games we're supposed to win (Games 2 and 5 this week) and then just one of the four toss-up games (1, 3, 4, 6), the Twins would need to sweep the Royals, which would still give us a shot to walk into the playoffs Monday or go to the one-game playoff.

The only thing that's scary is the sweep of boht the White Sox and Royals. Then we'd have to sweep CLE and win Monday just to get it. Yikes!!! But you have to think that either Perkins will lose Saturday or Meche will win on Sunday. Knock on wood.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
This three days rest talk is being blown out of proportion to me, especially only during a twelve game stretch. If we don't make the playoffs i don't think i would ever think of them throwing on only three days as one of the reasons why they did not make it.

I couldn't disagree more. I think that if we miss the playoffs, the three days rest decisions by Ozzie will haunt him for a long time. I think we will make the playoffs, but if we don't we will dread the term "three days rest" around here for a long time. Pitching guys on three days rest this time of year is such a huge risk. Guys are already tired due to the heavy workload of a full season, and to take a day of rest away often makes it even worse.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
Jensen Lewis is their closer right now...rookie Scott Lewis is gonna start Friday...3-0 with a 1.42 ERA so far...

and scott lewis scares the crap out of me...soft tossing lefty we've never seen before

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
It's actually 4 days rest. Javy pitched Thursday, was off Fri, Sat, Sun, and Mon. It's regular rest.

Yeah his start tomorrow will be on normal rest but this thread is about the CLE series in which he'll be pitching Saturday on 3 days rest (wed, thur, fri).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)

Didnt the Sox destroy that crafty lefty?

edit: I see they havent faced him yet. Didnt the indians throw a LH pitcher against the Sox(during the series that the Sox swept, prompting the Indians to trade CC) that was supposed to be really good, but the Sox ended up annihilating?

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
FRIDAY Jensen Lewis versus Jon Danks

SUNDAY Cliff Lee versus Mark Buerhle (3 day's rest)

Obviously, if it gets to Sunday, that's a scary proposition. Let's hope it is Broadway or Richard starting that game...or Carrasco. That would also allow us to start Buehrle in the first game at TB or Boston. By the way, I think TB is a little vulnerable in the bullpen right now, Wheeler and Percival have been so-so recently.

MONDAY ???? DET versus Gavin Floyd (3 day's rest)

Not sure about Fausto Carmona's status, and if he will be suspended and miss his scheduled start Wednesday against Boston. If he starts WED, we would miss him. I guess that's good, he has a 5.19 ERA this season, but he's capable of being dominant. Then again, pitchers like Lewis and Jackson scare me too!!! Every opposing pitcher is scary right now for Sox fans, except Blackburn, which means he'll probably shut us out!

Jensen Lewis is their closer. I think you're talking about Scott Lewis, who has been brilliant since his call-up.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
Jensen Lewis is their closer. I think you're talking about Scott Lewis, who has been brilliant since his call-up.

Yes, I know, the Indians' page had the wrong name for a couple of days and I wasn't paying attention.

I was too lazy to go back and correct the first post, but I might as well now, since I am sure it will probably be relevant again.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
I couldn't disagree more. I think that if we miss the playoffs, the three days rest decisions by Ozzie will haunt him for a long time. I think we will make the playoffs, but if we don't we will dread the term "three days rest" around here for a long time. Pitching guys on three days rest this time of year is such a huge risk. Guys are already tired due to the heavy workload of a full season, and to take a day of rest away often makes it even worse.

I see it as all reward and no risk.

Chance to win a world series (the only goal) compared to possibly not making the playoffs? Hmm...

There is simply no better option at this pont. No one is their right mind would rather have trotted richard or broadway over this 12 day stretch we are in the middle of. We need wins. Buehrle, vazquez, danks, and floyd give the sox a much greater chance to win when it matters most, easily more than anyone else in the orginization. I would laugh at any pitcher who would blame a bad outing on only pitching on three days rest... then again i doubt we here anything like that as it would just be petty. Buerhle tired? Doubt it. Vazquez? No. Floyd? Haven't really heard of much fatigue on his park.. Danks? Sure he Has been said he ''hit a wall'' ... looks to me like he just leaned up against the wall. He had a 3.30 era in august and is sitting at 2.42 for this month. Players are bigger, stronger, healthier, and have better mechanics than ever before, yet they get more babied decade to decade. Pitchers have thrown back to back games of a double header and lived to tell about it.

"Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers. Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work." - Cy Young

QUOTE (Shadows @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 03:28 AM)
I actually think the Cleveland series is more important than the Twins series to be quite honest

You might be right, if only because the Twins play the Royals and the Indians have been really good lately. The Sox really have to win 2 in Minny.