Arizona Fall League

Cali

Story on the game...

Armstrong, Saguaros edge Scorpions

Bases-clearing double vaults Peoria past Scottsdale in opener

Cole Armstrong hit a three-RBI double and Chad Huffman homered and scored twice as the visiting Peoria Saguaros bested the Scottsdale Scorpions, 9-3, on Tuesday night to wrap up Opening Day in the Arizona Fall League.

White Sox catching prospect Armstrong cleared the bases with his two-bagger to right field in the four-run ninth inning. He went hitless in four at-bats out of the cleanup spot until the final frame. Armstrong hit .261 with 29 doubles, 48 RBIs and 39 runs in 99 games between the Triple-A Charlotte Knights and the Double-A Birmingham Barons in the regular season.

Edited by scenario

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I look at who we have down there... Armstrong at 25 years old, Gartrell at 24, Derek Rodriguez (25), Carlos Torres (turns 26 later this month)...

I get the impression that the Sox are using the AFL to showcase all of these guys to other teams.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
When I look at who we have down there... Armstrong at 25 years old, Gartrell at 24, Derek Rodriguez (25), Carlos Torres (turns 26 later this month)...

I get the impression that the Sox are using the AFL to showcase all of these guys to other teams.

Now, that Donny Lucy has gone the way of the dinorsaur. I'd love to see the Sox get a decent catching prospect either through a trade or in next years draft.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
Now, that Donny Lucy has gone the way of the dinorsaur. I'd love to see the Sox get a decent catching prospect either through a trade or in next years draft.

I have it on good authority the sox are trying to make the catcher they drafted out of isu their next catcher. I cant recall his name now but hes a lefty hitter who didnt do too well at rookie ball but hes young and has a lot of potential.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)

I would like to know more about Donny Lucy's injury and status. If he'e healthy again come ST, I think he's very much still in the running. But I can't find any sort of updates on him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
Dubler has a lot of potential, but he isn't anywhere near being ready for the majors in 2009. he struggled with rookie ball pitching for a while before figuring it out. He's at LEAST 2 or 3 years away.

Yeah, I didn't want to give the impression that he is close to MLB yet...

Just that he's an interesting catching prospect in our system.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
I would like to know more about Donny Lucy's injury and status. If he'e healthy again come ST, I think he's very much still in the running. But I can't find any sort of updates on him.

I'll try to find the link, but i've heard his injury described as "devastating.". and even prior there was a lot of hesitation on him from the Sox Front Office due to his bat.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
I'll try to find the link, but i've heard his injury described as "devastating.". and even prior there was a lot of hesitation on him from the Sox Front Office due to his bat.

There was definitely question about his bat. Even before the injury, he was a very long shot to be a major league starter. but as AJ's backup, given who he'd be replacing, I think he would have been more than satisfactory.

I'm a little biased towards him, he's my AAP. But even if I wasn't, I'd hate to see his career end that way, just as he was about to reach the majors, even if as a backup. You just hate to see that happen. So, I hope he's able to recover.

If however the injury is such that he can't be 100% or close to it by ST, then his career may indeed be over. he doesn't have the bat to move to the OF.

Day game for the Saguaros today...

In the top of the 9th, Sags lead Scottsdale 10-7.

Beckham playing SS...

1-3, a single. He's been on base 3 times (due to an error and a walk).

His walk came in the 8th with the bases loaded and 2-outs. Took a 3-2 pitch for ball four.

Gartrell got a hit in the top of the inning to get the rally started.

Poreda pitched an inning and struck out 2.

A beautiful sunny 97 degrees at game time.

Edited by scenario

From espn chat....

George (NY): Is anyone looking good so far in the AFL that you've seen? I heard Hughes had a rough start the other day, something like 6 walks in 5 innings.

SportsNation Keith Law: I was at Scherzer's start instead of Hughes'. Scherzer was his usual self, 92-94, good slider, violent delivery. Jared Lansford was outstanding last night. Aaron Poreda was excellent in one inning yesterday, but only threw one offspeed pitch (an average slider). Josh Donaldson, Logan Morrison, Chris Nelson have all impressed.

Somewhat suprising given that Poreda was sent to the AFL to work on his secondary pitches. The face that he's working in relief, however, gives me the clue that he's no longer being groomed for the starting rotation, and will instead fill the same function as Matt Thorton in the sox's bullpen.

Edited by Thunderbolt

The fact that he only threw one off-speed pitch doesn't surprise me.

It was his first outing in the AFL... he only pitched one inning... threw 17 pitches... 12 of them for strikes... gave up two hits... in a tied game...

It's like spring training. You have to establish your command first. Then expand your range of pitches.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 06:34 PM)
The face that he's working in relief, however, gives me the clue that he's no longer being groomed for the starting rotation, and will instead fill the same function as Matt Thorton in the sox's bullpen.

The most anyone pitched in the whole game for either team was 2 innings, I wouldn't read into it too much.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
Somewhat suprising given that Poreda was sent to the AFL to work on his secondary pitches. The face that he's working in relief, however, gives me the clue that he's no longer being groomed for the starting rotation, and will instead fill the same function as Matt Thorton in the sox's bullpen.

Or they're just protecting his arm by limiting the innings he pitches this year...

I guarantee Poreda is still being thought of as a starter first. Sure they know that they could always convert him into a top notch set up prospect but they will try there best to turn him into a big time starter. If he has just two average secondary pitches he has the fastball to be an above average starter.