The OFFICIAL "I'm sorry" thread

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
A few of us talked about it a few weeks ago.

I really didn't like the trade at the time, and still have some problems with it, but we said if the Sox make the playoffs, it has to considered a good trade. Garland would have been the 5th starter this year, and might not even get a start in the post season(Even with his rep, I still start 2008 Vazquez over 2008 Garland). Cabrera was huge for this club down the stretch. The move payed off, so far.

Garland may not even pitch for the Angels in the playoffs IIRC.

He won't be back next season, but OC did bring an "edge" this season, and he did out-perform the other big acquisition at the time in Swisher.

As I said last week, Sox fans shouldn't be disappointed if they don't make the playoffs, because compared to where we were a year ago, this team has improved a long way.

And we've made the playoffs now, so yes, you can call it a successful season.

But I still think there is definitely room for improvement in the off-season. I'd like to see Hudson brought in at 2B, and to acquire Beltre for 3B giving up Fields in a deal (would Seattle do Swisher and Fields for Beltre I actually wonder). FWIW, Beltre had an .862 OPS away from Safeco, and I think he would hit over 30HR's for us at the Cell.

I'd like to see another quality lefty brought into the pen, as I have questions over Logan over the long - term. Don't know if Ron Mahay is a FA or not, but someone like that who can do a job for you in the 6th or 7th inning with an ERA around 3 would be ideal.

And if KW is working the trade market, I think he should try to go after these 2 type of players;

1 - A young CF who can step in from next season. Not sure who that is, but I would actually offer say a Vazquez around, and see if you can get that type of player.

2 - A young pitcher in the Danks or Floyd mould. Poreda may be ready possibly at some point next season, but if the Sox see a young pitcher they like, and they've obviously had major success recently with Gavin and John, go after that guy again.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure Vazquez goes, because the status of Contreras is so shaky for even the 2009 ASB, and, if nothing else, he'll eat a ton of innings and be a .500 pitcher. Now whether it's wise or the norm to pay 4/5 starters that kind of money, I'll let JR and KW decide (because Garland and Garcia were making around the same and were roughly the equivalent of Vazquez in salary and performance level...except the fact they both really picked it up in 2005).

It would be sweet for KW and Vazquez if he could finally get his game together. There's really not a tremendous amount of pressure at this point...almost everyone expects him to fail miserably, as long as we don't blow our bullpen for the 2nd game, most Sox fans will be "okay" I think. Everyone realizes with Buehrle's lack of rest over the last couple of weeks that you just can't keep going to the well too often and not expect him to come down with a dead arm at some point.

If you look at the Tigers in 06, Sox in 05, the A's (Hudson, Zito and Mulder all having major injury problems), the post-season usually has a way of catching up with you the following season, unless you're the Red Sox, Angels or Dodgers and can spend your way out of any problem.