VP Debate Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant find out what type lawyer Biden was, but he obviously is slick when it comes to speaking. He may stumble, he may mispronounce things, but when hes talking he is the star.

I read that he was something crazy like 76 out of 85 in his law class and was accused of plagiarism so he obviously was a poor writer.

His speaking style is very good and it seemed like almost all of his responses were off the cuff. That really goes over well, because juries/judges and my guess is the American people, like when it appears that you are speaking from the proverbial heart.

They want to see the information freely flowing, they want to feel like you are speaking to them and engaging them.

Palin sounded like she was a teacher standing at the front of the class giving a lecture, Biden was trying to reach over and be your friend.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
That's not really that unexpected. The VP just has a different role in these debates than the person at the top. Biden simply had more freedom here, Obama's job is to try to avoid angering people at some level, Biden is allowed to anger some people if it appeals to others.

Although, to be fair, I was never a huge Obama fan.

Anybody remember the line from Friday where Ice Cube's character (Craig) says something to Chris Tucker's character (Smokey) about something Smokey did a week ago, and Smokey is caught off guard and he says "man why you bringing up old s***?" That's what came to mind when Palin started rebuking Biden on recent history.

Interesting.... is it my observation that they put Palin at a staged rally MOMENTS after the debate to allow her to read a pre-written speech that the media will cover. This allows her to sound "better" after the debate and was a buffer is she REALLY screwed up.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 04:05 AM)
Anybody remember the line from Friday where Ice Cube's character (Craig) says something to Chris Tucker's character (Smokey) about something Smokey did a week ago, and Smokey is caught off guard and he says "man why you bringing up old s***?" That's what came to mind when Palin started rebuking Biden on recent history.

of course lost fan brings up friday...jk bud. :headbang

Gwen Ifill: Palin "Blew Me Off"

On "Meet the Press" Sunday morning, vice presidential debate moderator Gwen Ifill said Palin "more than ignored" some of her questions -- she "blew me off." She added that Palin decided to "give a stump speech" instead of a debate, and that there's "little a moderator can do" to stop that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
Whatever, Ifill, it was you that did the terrible job of keeping people on target. Lehrer would ask again if no one remotely answered the question.

To be fair though, the rules for the VP debate were specifically more strict than for either of the Pres debates. Follow ups and repeat questions were expressly prohibited for the VP debate. I'm sure you can guess why.