HOW TO DESTROY THE RAYS

rangerjae

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
Well I didn't get the impression that he was timid or afraid watching those games. I got the impression that he wasn't pitching well the second and even moreso the third times through those lineups.

I can't justify Ozzie giving him another chance in a win or go home scenario. If that's how you want to go down, fine. I'm just glad you are not captain of this ship.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
Well I didn't get the impression that he was timid or afraid watching those games. I got the impression that he wasn't pitching well the second and even moreso the third times through those lineups.

If you look more closely at those 2004 stats, you'll see he wasn't pitching well the entire year.

No, You are wrong. Javy was a cy young contender for the Months of April and June.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
Okay so he sucked really badly for half of the year. I only looked at the previous few months. The year as a whole was not a good one.

Yes, mostly due to sucking in July,August and September. If Javy was not such a mental midget I would agree with most of your posts. The good news is maybe a team like KC can be convinced that he will play well for a non-contending team.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
lol, how is someone a cy young contender for two non consecutive months?

rephrase that to pitcher of the month for each given month.

fwiw, he had a 3.42 era and was 9-5 at the end of june. Which would be in cy young contention at the time.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
I'm not sure that pitchers are ever afraid to "snap off" their curveball. If they would be afraid of anything, they'd be afraid not to "snap it off." Having an inability to throw a good curveball consistently, on the other hand, may be viable.

Actually that's usually not true. Hawk always talks about "get me overs." Pitchers throw these because they want to keep the ball in the zone instead of trusting that they can throw a biting hook for a strike. It's a mental thing. Javy does that a lot.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
Actually that's usually not true. Hawk always talks about "get me overs." Pitchers throw these because they want to keep the ball in the zone instead of trusting that they can throw a biting hook for a strike. It's a mental thing. Javy does that a lot.

Case in point, Longoria's second homer.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:33 AM)
Yes, mostly due to sucking in July,August and September. If Javy was not such a mental midget I would agree with most of your posts. The good news is maybe a team like KC can be convinced that he will play well for a non-contending team.

I could be wrong. I just don't like the fact that almost the entire board cites his mental midgetry being the problem as fact. We don't really know whats going on between his ears. I see him pitch fairly well for the first 4 innings on a regular basis. It makes me thing something else is wrong.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
I could be wrong. I just don't like the fact that almost the entire board cites his mental midgetry being the problem as fact. We don't really know whats going on between his ears. I see him pitch fairly well for the first 4 innings on a regular basis. It makes me thing something else is wrong.

Less time with his family in Puerto Rico maybe.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)

Do you want to take a chance that he will get you a strong 4 innings?

He gave up 4 runs through 3 innings vs Tampa ,5 runs through 4 innings vs minnesota on 9/23 and 6 runs though 3.2 innings at NYY. That accounts for 3 of his last 4 starts, all CRUCIAL games. The only exception would be the Cleveland game of the final weekend when he didn't have his meldown until the 5th with a big 6 spot.

All I'm saying is Javy has the ability to give up 5 runs in a hurry. Something you don't want that last game of the series that will be played in cowbell city.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
All I'm saying is Javy has the ability to give up 5 runs in a hurry. Something you don't want that last game of the series that will be played in cowbell city.

Agreed. The only reason I suggested Richard over Mark is rest being a factor. But he may not need it. He is after all Mark Buehrle.

Who's going fishy hunting? We's going fishy hunting! :gosox4:

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
Do you want to take a chance that he will get you a strong 4 innings?

He gave up 4 runs through 3 innings vs Tampa ,5 runs through 4 innings vs minnesota on 9/23 and 6 runs though 3.2 innings at NYY. That accounts for 3 of his last 4 starts, all CRUCIAL games. The only exception would be the Cleveland game of the final weekend when he didn't have his meldown until the 5th with a big 6 spot.

Yeah, I would in relief. If you need long relief you are already probably losing, so I would take that chance.

QUOTE (rangerjae @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
Agreed. The only reason I suggested Richard over Mark is rest being a factor. But he may not need it. He is after all Mark Buehrle.

Who's going fishy hunting? We's going fishy hunting! :gosox4:

He'd be on normal rest so that really shouldn't be an issue.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
What scares me is the proximity of myself and the knives in the kitchen when either situation occurs.

I can't watch when Dotel gets the rock.

If a starter craps himself, there is usually time for the team to climb back into the game. When a reliever does it.....

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
I will say this much and this really pains me to say, but will need Javy at some point if we're to make it to the ALCS. We can't ride 3 pitchers in a 7-game series. Of course, can't even think about that until we win two more games.

Yep, you gotta dance with the girl who gave you a lift to the party.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
I will say this much and this really pains me to say, but will need Javy at some point if we're to make it to the ALCS. We can't ride 3 pitchers in a 7-game series. Of course, can't even think about that until we win two more games.

Or Clayton Richard gets a start.