Off-Season Suggestion Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
I still don't like that deal. I'd like the Angels deal but with Javy we should target pitching. Even though Javy has kicked the genitalia of every Sox fan out there, let's not forget he's still a #3 starter capable of pitching in the AL and in the Cell. He's very valuable to this team over a 162 game season, if not in the playoffs, so we'll need to pick some guys up that we'll be able to count on to replace that next year and going forward.

You know he included "Adenhart", a pitcher in what he wrote, correct?

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
I still don't like that deal. I'd like the Angels deal but with Javy we should target pitching. Even though Javy has kicked the genitalia of every Sox fan out there, let's not forget he's still a #3 starter capable of pitching in the AL and in the Cell. He's very valuable to this team over a 162 game season, if not in the playoffs, so we'll need to pick some guys up that we'll be able to count on to replace that next year and going forward.

I am assuming your wanting a Garcia type deal. Well I don't see too many teams doing that.

QUOTE (DaGame2584 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Well how do you see us getting Figgins? I wouldn't want to do that deal either. I would prefer if it was PK going not JD. I agree w/ you on Richard but do we have a better option(Egbert, Broadway)? If you go the FA to fix the spot Javy leaves who do you get? Lowe(Too much money)? Garland(Too much money & years)?

I think we should stay far, far away from the top pitchers on the FA market. I'd like Freddy Garcia back on a short-term deal filled with incentives, but I'd like to have two solid options (assuming we deal Javy) for the 4th and 5th spots before that. That way we have some deal and an injury to Freddy or a young guy failing doesn't cripple us.

As far as getting Figgins, I have no idea, but I think it'll be prospects. The Angels are known for their scouting, so perhaps there are some guys in our system that don't get talked up as much as Poreda but are coveted by the Angels. Figgins isn't going to command an elite prospect, just some good ones, and we do have some good ones.

Basically, we need a lead-off hitter badly, but Figgins isn't our only option. He and Roberts are the best options, but there's Furcal out there and maybe even Ichiro will be out there. Who knows? There are definitely options, but bottom line I would NOT make a horrible deal just to get a lead-off guy. If the Angels wanted Dye straight up I'd tell them to f*** off and enjoy Brandon Wood since they love to overvalue their players. If there's nothing out there that makes sense, then so be it.

Necessity:

Speedy/leadoff type of hitter:

- Orlando Hudson, Chone Figgins, Rafael Furcal, maybe trade?

- I kinda like Felipe Lopez as a cheap option, hes a guy that if not signed I'd love to send a spring training invitation or see in a workout

Thirdbasemen:

- Don't get me wrong, would love to have Crede back but with Boras at the helm no thanks

- Fields also needs more time but who knows maybe he impresses in the spring

- Blake would be a nice option/always been a Blalock fan but hes got injury written all over him

Starting Pitcher:

- Richard really impressed me in the playoffs, just seemed he matured when it was all on the line, love to see him get a shot at a starting spot

- If we have the cap space, why not target a guy like Sheets or CC, I can dream but come on, Buehrls, Danksy, Floyd and one of those two would be solid.

Adios:

Orlando Cabrera

Javier Vazquez

Juan Uribe

Joe Crede

Jose Contreras

Jim Thome

Ken Griffey - Never thought I'd say it, always wanted him on the Sox and now I can't wait till hes gone

Greg Walker

STARTING PITCHERS

1. CC Sabathia 29

2. Ben Sheets 31

3. Ryan Dempster 32

4. Jon Garland 29

5. Kyle Lohse 30 - RE-SIGNED w/ CARDINALS on 9/30/08 [4 year, $41M] [bORAS CLIENT]

6. AJ Burnett 32 CAN OPT OUT OF CONTRACT

7. Brad Penny 31 TO: $9.25M

8. Mike Mussina 40

9. Derek Lowe 36 [bORAS CLIENT]

10. Pedro Martinez 37

11. Oliver Perez 27 [bORAS CLIENT]

12. Odalis Perez 32

13. Randy Wolf 32

14. Paul Byrd 38

15. Livan Hernandez 34

16. Braden Looper 34

17. Randy Johnson 45

18. Greg Maddux 43 [bORAS CLIENT]

19. Brian Moehler 37 - RE-SIGNED w/ ASTROS on 8/29/08 [1 year, $2.3M]

20. Jason Jennings 31

21. John Smoltz 42 TO: $12M

22. Chan Ho Park 36

23. Kip Wells 32

24. Jamie Moyer 46

25. Andy Pettitte 37

26. Brian Lawrence 33

27. Mark Mulder 31 TO: $11M

28. Woody Williams 42 TO: $6.5M

29. Matt Clement 34 TO: $8.75M

30. Mark Prior 28

OTHERS: K. Benson, S. Chacon, B. Colon, C. Pavano, J. Sosa, M. Morris, Ma. Redman, C. Schilling, J. Fogg, B. Tomko

S. Trachsel, T. Wakefield, J. Affeldt, S. Estes, T. Glavine, M. Hampton, M. Hendrickson, G. Rusch, K. Rogers

Lot of potential 5 starters in there.

So, barring KW's surprise trade or two of the offseason, here's sort of what I want to see next year.

OF: Swisher (don't want to trade him after a down year)

OF: Anderson (Don't think we could get equal value for him in a trade, trading him would be like the Phillies trading Gavin Floyd)

OF: Quentin (Duh)

3b: Fields (He was hurt all year, and it's time for him to sink or swim. It'd be nice to keep a backup plan around, but there's better places to spend our money than on a veteran 3b this offseason).

SS/2B: Alexei + Blank. Here, I really don't know.

1b: Konerko/Swisher

Odd man out: Dye/Konerko. Neither one of them are ideal trade baits, although I think JD is the more logical one to move. Offensively, I just don't think we can get better with the big 3 all still around. Konerko's coming off such a down year that I think you have to keep him because no one will give you anything useful for him.

Rotation: If you're moving Javy, you better have 2 more starters ready, that's all I'll say here.

Bullpen: Seriously, what the Hell happened to Logan? How does a guy actually implode like that with the stuff he has? I actually really like our bullpen as its set right now, although adding Contreras might be nice if possible.

Needs: Moving one of the big 3. We just have too many guys right now who should be playing DH. It's time to move one.

Another Middle Infielder.

Another starting pitcher, possibly even just a backup/6th starter option if we think Richard or Broadway have a #5 starter in them.

QUOTE (DaGame2584 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
I am assuming your wanting a Garcia type deal. Well I don't see too many teams doing that.

If AJ Burnett gets $15 million plus over 4 years or more, you'll see a lot of teams willing to give up their Gio and Gavin type pitchers for Javy and his $11 million/season deal. Javy will command more than the Garcia deal, but I'm sure Kenny has his targets, we just don't know who they are. Kenny has his pitchers that he thinks he can develop into top-end starters, and if one of those guys is made available for Javy I think he'll pull the trigger. I can't say or guess on who because after 2006 I would have never said to go after Gavin Floyd.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
I'll throw this out there early. If the Sox can find speed from are 3B or 2B/SS(Depending on which area they are going to upgrade), I wouldn't mind Anderson in CF.

At this point, with NTC in the equation, Dye looks like he could be the odd man out. Again, if the Sox add a 3B and 2B that are starting material, an outfield left to right of Swisher-Anderson-Quentin is doable.

I like this idea too. I think that would be solid outfield. I don't think you can let Konerko go. He and Buehrle are the heart of the team. I would try to move Dye, Vazquez and MacDougal. Maybe Boone Logan. Sign or trade for a solid starter and give Richard a shot at the 5th spot. If the Sox pick up a second baseman or shortstop that can lead off, I'd be willing to let Fields and Uribe battle for the third base job. A Casey Blake or similar wouldn't be bad either, and maybe a better option.

The Guy I want added: Robbie Cano

The Guy we will most likely get: Orlando Hudson

Another thing that will really interest me is to see how the Mets shake up their team.

I think they have to move one of Wright, Beltran, Reyes.

I don't think they will trade Reyes, so that leaves me begging for David Wright.

Javy, Dye, Poreda, and Fields for David Wright please

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
STARTING PITCHERS

1. CC Sabathia 29

2. Ben Sheets 31

3. Ryan Dempster 32

4. Jon Garland 29

5. Kyle Lohse 30 - RE-SIGNED w/ CARDINALS on 9/30/08 [4 year, $41M] [bORAS CLIENT]

6. AJ Burnett 32 CAN OPT OUT OF CONTRACT

7. Brad Penny 31 TO: $9.25M

8. Mike Mussina 40

9. Derek Lowe 36 [bORAS CLIENT]

10. Pedro Martinez 37

11. Oliver Perez 27 [bORAS CLIENT]

12. Odalis Perez 32

13. Randy Wolf 32

14. Paul Byrd 38

15. Livan Hernandez 34

16. Braden Looper 34

17. Randy Johnson 45

18. Greg Maddux 43 [bORAS CLIENT]

19. Brian Moehler 37 - RE-SIGNED w/ ASTROS on 8/29/08 [1 year, $2.3M]

20. Jason Jennings 31

21. John Smoltz 42 TO: $12M

22. Chan Ho Park 36

23. Kip Wells 32

24. Jamie Moyer 46

25. Andy Pettitte 37

26. Brian Lawrence 33

27. Mark Mulder 31 TO: $11M

28. Woody Williams 42 TO: $6.5M

29. Matt Clement 34 TO: $8.75M

30. Mark Prior 28

OTHERS: K. Benson, S. Chacon, B. Colon, C. Pavano, J. Sosa, M. Morris, Ma. Redman, C. Schilling, J. Fogg, B. Tomko

S. Trachsel, T. Wakefield, J. Affeldt, S. Estes, T. Glavine, M. Hampton, M. Hendrickson, G. Rusch, K. Rogers

Lot of potential 5 starters in there.

How many of these guys would you want on your team though?

These are the guys I'd start over Clayton Richard (adding Freddy Garcia to the list):

CC Sabathia

Ben Sheets

Ryan Dempster

Jon Garland

AJ Burnett

Mike Mussina

Derek Lowe

Pedro Martinez

Oliver Perez

Odalis Perez

Paul Byrd

Braden Looper

Randy Johnson

John Smoltz

Jamie Moyer

Andy Pettitte - roider

Freddy Garcia

These are the guys I'd want on my team:

CC Sabathia - Sox will never give that kind of contract to any pitcher

Ben Sheets - Sox will never give that kind of contract to an injury-prone pitcher

Ryan Dempster - Sox will never give that much money to a #3 starter coming off a career year

Jon Garland - Sox admitted they felt his ceiling has been reached, is basically a #4, Sox will never give a #4 $12 million+

AJ Burnett - See Ben Sheets

Mike Mussina - Said he'll play for the Yankees or retire

Derek Lowe - Boras is his agent

John Smoltz - Would he leave ATL to go to a hitters park in the AL? For how much money? No chance on this guy.

Freddy Garcia

These are the realistic targets that I'd want on my team:

Freddy Garcia

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
Not until you give me contract details.

At the price Garland was being paid this year...not unless we move Javy.

I was thinking instead of Javy. We trade Javy for anything we can get, sign Garland for something like 3/32. He's still a solid pitcher that is kind of like Javy in what his numbers will come out to be, but isn't hated like Javy.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
The Guy I want added: Robbie Cano

The Guy we will most likely get: Orlando Hudson

Another thing that will really interest me is to see how the Mets shake up their team.

I think they have to move one of Wright, Beltran, Reyes.

I don't think they will trade Reyes, so that leaves me begging for David Wright.

Javy, Dye, Poreda, and Fields for David Wright please

I doubt Wright would be available, and i doubt Kenny would want to give away that much. I mean in terms of current status and potential we have

Dye: All-star, 32 hr 90+Rbi (ideally for 2 or 3 more years)

Javy: 200 +K solid 4 starter maybe, 3

Poreda: Potential 2 0r 3

Fields: Potential (healthy, even probably) 25 hr 75+Rbi

That's a lot to give up, even if it's for (argubably) the best player in the league, and i bet Kenny'd say the same

But if we're gonna talk crazy. My dream trade's always been

Fields, Anderson, Mcullogh, Broadway, Owens for Lincecum, and the Worst contract they have, which we'd then eat

Who doesn't love bust number #1's for a Cy Young Winner? (that's right i said it)

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
But if we're gonna talk crazy. My dream trade's always been

Fields, Anderson, Mcullogh, Broadway, Owens for Lincecum, and the Worst contract they have, which we'd then eat

Who doesn't love bust number #1's for a Cy Young Winner? (that's right i said it)

Worst contract they have? Welcome back Aaron Rowand! :headbang

In all seriousness, would that then mean we'd be taking Zito? :unsure:

Edited by bschmaranz

my number 1 target for the off season is furcal. I also think alexie should be batting 3rd next year.

furcal

getz?

alexie

cq

old power hitters that end up staying

aj

swish

anderson

positions might not work out unless alexie or getz plays 3rd

also trade javy and sign somebody for 4th starter(garcia maybe)

clayton is 5th starter

Let's make it easy, why not just sign C.C. Sabathia, haha. Obviously everyone would love that, but it's probably not going to happen. As for Garland, if the price is right and we get rid of Vazquez I'd be up for it. I'd rather see Thome gone than Dye or Konerko and for some odd reason, I have a feeling we'll see Griffey back if either Dye or Thome is gone. Getting Brian Roberts would be a dream come true and we could move Alexei to shortstop. I don't think we get rid of Swisher because his value will be so low, plus I don't think he will be as bad this next season. I don't mind seeing Uribe and Wise back as long as they aren't starting on a regular basis. 2B/SS, 3B, CF, and 2 SP are the main 5 concerns to me.

C Pierzynski

1B Konerko

2B Roberts (dreaming)

3B

SS Ramirez

LF Swisher

CF

RF Quinten

DH Dye

Uribe

Anderson

Wise

Getz

Backup Catcher

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

SP

SP

Jenks

Linebrink

Thornton

Dotel

Carrasco

RP

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
It is an interesting scenario, but I just don't see us taking on Zito, regardless of who's coming with him. Honestly don't know if I'd like to see it happen or not, but Kenny/Jerry ain't letting that happen.

Zito's an Option (an unlikely one), but I was more focused on their aged OF Crop like, Winn or Roberts. Both these players are an interesting contrast in that they're obviously on the decline, but still retain some value. Were the Sox to make this deal (With no intention of offering either player a starting job) they could either be a decent 4th of (in comparison to Wise) or an ideal option to spin them for more prospects (of the Aaardsma deal variety)

Edited by Thunderbolt

Lineup

1. Chone Figgins CF

2. Alexei Ramirez 2B

3. Carlos Quentin LF

4. David Wright 3B

5. Jim Thome DH

6. Jermaine Dye RF

7. AJ Pierzynski C

8. Nick Swisher 1B

9. Juan Uribe SS

Rotation:

1. Mark Buehrle

2. John Danks

3. Pedro Martinez

4. Jose Contreras

5. Nick Adenhart

Bullpen:

R: Matt Thornton

R: Jose Arredondo

R: Scott Linebrink

R: Octavio Dotel

CL: Bobby Jenks

Gavin Floyd and Josh Fields for David Wright.

Javier Vazquez and Paul Konerko for Chone Figgins, Jose Arredondo and Nick Adenhart.

Sign Pedro Martinez

I love it because it's crazy.