Off-Season Suggestion Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
Cause Swish has been given a free pass by many for this season for some reason. They say he'll be fine next year when he's set in a regular position. Whatever. I'd cut my losses and dump him for your proverbial bag of balls. Try it again, KW.

AJ Pierzynski was pretty mediocre his first and third years in Chicago...why didn't you want to dump him then?

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I always kind of liked AJ. From reading all the articles, it's apparent Swish will be back especially since he's affordable. I don't wish ill will on him. I hope he bounces back. I just never thought he was worthy of the manlove on here especially during the period Paulie was sucking and got roasted. If I had my way though, KW would move on and dump him and try again in the continuing quest to find a replacement for Rowand.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
Except that Javier Vazquez is a far superior pitcher to Jeff Suppan. If you don't believe me, compare their numbers over the past 2-3 seasons, compare what leagues they have pitched in, and consider that Suppan makes almost the exact same salary as Vazquez.

As it is, they need arms pretty badly. Unless Sheets resigns, Suppan will have more value to the Brewers than he will the rest of the league.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. Javy is way better than Suppan, no matter how down on him the fans (and Ozzie) are at the moment. And it makes sense to try to move him to Milwaukee. But Suppan and his over priced contract would seem to prevent them from adding Vazquez. And they are sure as hell not going to give up one of their top trading chips to get him.

There's a chance Cameron will not be renewed. His numbers were very close this year to Tori Hunters. Should Kenny be interrested?

I don't think Cameron can be a full-time CFer in the AL anymore.

He's okay/so-so in the NL (like Durham) but he would be exposed more...that said, I would prefer him to Anderson.

The problem is that his offensive game is the worst of all parts of Crede/Uribe/Anderson/Fields,enough that I don't think I could tolerate watching it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
I don't know. I always kind of liked AJ. From reading all the articles, it's apparent Swish will be back especially since he's affordable. I don't wish ill will on him. I hope he bounces back. I just never thought he was worthy of the manlove on here especially during the period Paulie was sucking and got roasted. If I had my way though, KW would move on and dump him and try again in the continuing quest to find a replacement for Rowand.

In my mind, Swish and AJ are in the same boat. Swisher needs to hit better than he did last year, but it seems that by most accounts he was pretty damn unlucky last year and he should improve next year. He seems to be a well liked guy in the clubhouse and there's a ton of potential for him to improve his stock dramatically. He needs to work with Walker or someone though to quicken his swing a bit, because with how long it is, he's never going to be much more than a .240 hitter.

QUOTE (logic101 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)
I'm not really disagreeing with you. Javy is way better than Suppan, no matter how down on him the fans (and Ozzie) are at the moment. And it makes sense to try to move him to Milwaukee. But Suppan and his over priced contract would seem to prevent them from adding Vazquez. And they are sure as hell not going to give up one of their top trading chips to get him.

There's a chance Cameron will not be renewed. His numbers were very close this year to Tori Hunters. Should Kenny be interrested?

The Brewers are dropping quite a bit of salary in losing Sabathia and probably Sheets; they also have quite a few expiring contracts in their bullpen. They'll have more than enough money to get Vazquez and they could and probably should be quite interested in him should the Sox make him available.

And no, the Sox shouldn't make a play for Cameron unless it's late in the offseason. He's a decent player but there's enough in-house options and several other choices that would make him a mediocre choice at the moment.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 12:03 AM)
To add to wite, the Brewers will be cutting 10 million alone in Gagne coming off the books.

With CC-Sheets-Gagne all coming off the books(others are as well, those are just the big 3), along with increased attendance and expectations, the Brewers will have money to play with. A solid starter with 2 years left could be very valuable to a franchise that doesn't want to get locked into a 7-8 year deal.

agreed the brewers have a limited window in the sense that their young core is going to price themselves out of their reach and then they will have to pick and choose whom they want to build around going forward(braun). Javy at 11.5 for two years could shore up their staff and take some preasure off their young arms an BP your going to get 200IP and 200K and moving to the NL could help a bit too. Escobar could be ready to start at the bigs going into '09 making it a shrewd move to trade JJ.

The more i think about possibilites for this offseaon i would love for the sox to just get the following.

McLouth, Beltre, Hardy and sign Freddy and roll with it. hopefully G-Beckham can slot into 3B going into '10 even if their is some growing pains at the ML level and then we've got a core to lock up and push for the central for the next 6+ years if KW is smart and locks them up like so many other young stars.

I can see the following teams having interest in Dye: Dodgers, Reds, Yankees, Rays, Angels

QUOTE (beautox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 12:41 AM)
agreed the brewers have a limited window in the sense that their young core is going to price themselves out of their reach and then they will have to pick and choose whom they want to build around going forward(braun). Javy at 11.5 for two years could shore up their staff and take some preasure off their young arms an BP your going to get 200IP and 200K and moving to the NL could help a bit too. Escobar could be ready to start at the bigs going into '09 making it a shrewd move to trade JJ.

The more i think about possibilites for this offseaon i would love for the sox to just get the following.

McLouth, Beltre, Hardy and sign Freddy and roll with it. hopefully G-Beckham can slot into 3B going into '10 even if their is some growing pains at the ML level and then we've got a core to lock up and push for the central for the next 6+ years if KW is smart and locks them up like so many other young stars.

I can see the following teams having interest in Dye: Dodgers, Reds, Yankees, Rays, Angels

Wow...we're going to have to give up a ton of talent to get McLouth (Poreda + ?), Beltre (Fields and what else?) and Hardy (Vazquez + ???)

Are you going to get these using prospects from the Angels acquired for Dye?

Who would be the 4th and 5th starters then?

I'm assuming you have Swisher and Quentin playing the corners?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 02:11 AM)
Wow...we're going to have to give up a ton of talent to get McLouth (Poreda + ?), Beltre (Fields and what else?) and Hardy (Vazquez + ???)

Are you going to get these using prospects from the Angels acquired for Dye?

Who would be the 4th and 5th starters then?

I'm assuming you have Swisher and Quentin playing the corners?

McLouth will cost alot to get in terms of talent im seeing it as Poreda + Martinez + some/all of the prospects we would get from dealing Dye

Beltre for Fields Egbert and Allen

Hardy for Vazquez straight up.

Line up would look something like this

L McLouth CF

R Hardy SS

R Quentin RF

L Thome DH

R Konerko 1B

R Beltre 3B

S Swisher LF

R Ramirez 2B

L AJP C

Mark

John

Gavin

Freddy

Clayton

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

Thornton

Carrasco

Russel/Waserman

Logan

Hall

Getz

Anderson

Wise

Ideally McLouth keeps developing and adds a nice dynamic at the top of the order. I understand this team wants to get faster but there is no reason we shouldn't play to our strengths.

Also pick up all of Jaime Torre's new clients.

I'm not sure Egbert is so highly-valued outside of Sox message boards...maybe!

Martinez is at least 3 years (or 2 1/2) away...I think the Mariners would be looking for AA impact players who could at least compete for starting jobs in 2009. It just depends upon their thinking. If you're their new GM, you'd have to think the fans would have only so much patience losing Ibanez (not getting anything back for him but draft picks) and then now trading Beltre. That doesn't leave them much left to market to the fans, just Ichiro, King Felix and Clement, who may or may not be a bust.

I'm surprised that Bedard completely fell apart...and that they didn't move Putz at the deadline either.

All things considered, the Twins can put together a better package...it all depends on how much the M's value Poreda as the centerpiece.

The biggest weakness in all of these moves is the rotation. Relying on Freddy Garcia and Richard, and hoping Gavin doesn't fall back....that's a lot of IF'S there, when pitching has always been the most important predictor/determinant of Sox success over the last 9 years. I wouldn't be very comfortable at all unless I knew Garcia was throwing a sustainable 90-92 and not 86-89 MPH.

If Mclouth was indeed a target, to somewhat save our farm we could include Swisher in the deal. Swisher is a similar player and is signed for a few years relatively cheaper so Pirates would be interested. Still take a little more but he could/should be the major part of the deal. It would be the only way we could acquire him and another guy like Beltre.

If we trade Swisher and Dye (to get back the prospects enabling us to complete these deals), though, we're still short one outfielder. And we still have a huge problem in the back end of the rotation...not to mention if anyone from the rotation gets hurt. Then it's Broadway/Carrasco/H. Ramirez time.

We have McLouth for CF and Quentin for LF or RF. I guess we could live with an Owens/Wise/Anderson platoon again, but I wouldn't like it a lot.

Bringing in Hardy, Beltre and McLouth would be too much for me to believe. I will be surprised if we get more than one player of that caliber this off-season. Who knows, KW is always full of surprises.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 02:38 AM)
If we trade Swisher and Dye (to get back the prospects enabling us to complete these deals), though, we're still short one outfielder. And we still have a huge problem in the back end of the rotation...not to mention if anyone from the rotation gets hurt. Then it's Broadway/Carrasco/H. Ramirez time.

We have McLouth for CF and Quentin for LF or RF. I guess we could live with an Owens/Wise/Anderson platoon again, but I wouldn't like it a lot.

Bringing in Hardy, Beltre and McLouth would be too much for me to believe. I will be surprised if we get more than one player of that caliber this off-season. Who knows, KW is always full of surprises.

Well we definitely wouldnt trade both Swisher and Dye obviously, chances are we dont trade either lol. I was just suggesting if we wanted to get McLouth that Swisher could be a major piece in that deal. All in all, while I love talking about possible off-season moves and whatnot, Im expecting something completely shocking. I could definitely see one piece we all saw coming(hudson/figgins/etc.) but I fully expect KW to make a move none of us foresaw.

White sox 2008 offseason moves:

1. trade for Brian Roberts [that way, SS/ 2b isn’t blocked for Beckham in 2010-which signing Orlando Hudson would have]

2. trade for a speedy CFer who can play stellar defense [not ideal, but Willy Taveras]

3. Trade for Justin Duchsherer [31]-had hip surgery, will be less expensive to get than he was at the deadline; [Josh Fields]

Note: Both Roberts and Duchsherer would get the Sox draft picks if they leave as FA’s after 2009-so what talent they give up now they’ll get back some; Re-signing Duchsherer to a deal if he has success in 2009 would allow the sox to trade Vasquez after 2009

4. trade Jermaine Dye, Fields; Brian Anderson; Clayton Richard; Logan;

5. re-sign Crede to a one yr deal and Uribe for utility IF [no good options at 3b]

Lineup:

1. Brian Roberts 2b

2. Swisher RF

3. Quentin LF [R]

4. Thome DH [L]

5. Konerko 1b [R]

6. Ramirez SS [R]

7. AJ c [L]

8. Crede 3b [R]

9. Willy Taveras CF [R]

There's too many question marks about Justin, Crede and Taveras to make those moves...

Why are we trading away Clayton Richard, who actually showed something in the playoffs? Because he's a Sox pitching prospect and we simply believe that he will fail like every starter since Buehrle?

I still don't trust taking an injured pitcher off the hands of BB...if he's healthy, he holds onto him for half the season while he re-establishes his league-leading ERA, if he's not 100% healthy or cleared by the doctors' exams, he's not going anywhere and Beane knows it.

1) Beltre

2) Casey Blake

3) Melvin Mora

4) Garrett Atkins

5) Kevin Kouzmanoff

Any of those aforementioned would be better options than Crede/Uribe at 3B again in 2009 IMO.

NOT TO MENTION THE MOST POPULAR CHOICE OF SOX FANS, CHONE FIGGINS!

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 05:31 AM)
There's too many question marks about Justin, Crede and Taveras to make those moves...

Why are we trading away Clayton Richard, who actually showed something in the playoffs? Because he's a Sox pitching prospect and we simply believe that he will fail like every starter since Buehrle?

I still don't trust taking an injured pitcher off the hands of BB...if he's healthy, he holds onto him for half the season while he re-establishes his league-leading ERA, if he's not 100% healthy or cleared by the doctors' exams, he's not going anywhere and Beane knows it.

1) Beltre

2) Casey Blake

3) Melvin Mora

4) Garrett Atkins

5) Kevin Kouzmanoff

Any of those aforementioned would be better options than Crede/Uribe at 3B again in 2009 IMO.

NOT TO MENTION THE MOST POPULAR CHOICE OF SOX FANS, CHONE FIGGINS!

That'd be my choice right there, as long as we get someone who is stud with the glove to back him up for cheap. Or, if we go the route of trading Dye, I wouldn't mind Figgins in LF or CF.

I just read in the trib and on the Cubs board than Cedeno is on his way out because of a confrontation with the Cubs trainers. I bet we could get our hands on him for somewhat cheap. I've always thought he would be a good player if given regular playing time. He would be both a good option for SS and also for super sub.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
I just read in the trib and on the Cubs board than Cedeno is on his way out because of a confrontation with the Cubs trainers. I bet we could get our hands on him for somewhat cheap. I've always thought he would be a good player if given regular playing time. He would be both a good option for SS and also for super sub.

I bet he goes with Marshall and Hoffpauir for Brian Roberts

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)
I bet he goes with Marshall and Hoffpauir for Brian Roberts

i would have to imagine the cubs significantly decreased their chances of getting roberts when they dealt gallagher away...their farm system isnt as bad as ours, but its pretty bad

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
i would have to imagine the cubs significantly decreased their chances of getting roberts when they dealt gallagher away...their farm system isnt as bad as ours, but its pretty bad

Many of their top spects had down years as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
Not a great deal for the O's there.

The Orioles will make one run at signing Roberts to an extension. If they can't agree to terms, they'll definitely trade him. With him having one year left on his deal, his value will be down as compared to last season. I actually like Marshall a lot more than Gallagher, but maybe McPhail doesn't. The Orioles have a glaring hole at SS though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
Vitters is far and away their best prospect now. Colvin is so overrated, the Cubs should have traded him when he had value.

Yeah, Colvin has fallen significantly since being drafted three years ago, but they still have Ceda and Veal which gives them some flexibilty. After them and Vitters it's a steep dropoff.